Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:56 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,506,449 times

Advertisements

I am 21M, senior in college as an IT major. I live in NJ and i am desperate to leave my parents' house, since I cannot stand living at home and I would like to live out West.

My grandparents and uncle live in the San Francisco Bay Area and my grandparents would allow me to inherit the house if I decide to live out there. I lied my address on my resume and used my grandparents' address. My uncle is a great person to network with and he is in process of asking people about jobs for me. I am also applying to other states. I was told that USAA Bank is "desperately" hiring for a thousand IT related positions in the Scottsdale, AZ location.

I have a LinkedIn and my resume. My LinkedIn has my two retail experiences (useless). Both my resume and LinkedIn include my IT intern (a crappy one) that I had where I did some basic network troubleshooting, stripping and building ethernet cables, upgrading a computer, etc. It was a semester long, but I lied that it was a full year just to show I had experience. I currently work a clerical job at a law firm (1.5 years so far), but I did lie on my resume saying I was a help desk besides a being clerical, because I actually did some troubleshooting stuff there.

I have been applying since October 2019, but obviously that's end of the fiscal year nobody wants someone who will graduate all the way in May, so let's not count that. Now that it's January, January and February are the best months to apply for jobs. So far I got rejections and had at least one interview (with rejection), which I just BSed through (for the sake of learning interview questions) since it was a shady company. It's early, so I am not too worried about myself or anything like that.

Also, after hearing about USAA Bank hiring, I was reading job descriptions for other jobs in Scottsdale/Phoenix and I was stunned (and happy) since Phoenix seems like a wonderland where the jobs do not require too much experience and pays well for a low COL area. I am totally fine dealing with brutal AZ heat if I want to get away from living at home.

I read up on the internet that San Francisco, San Jose, and Scottsdale seem to be the best places to land a job. Also, the address on my resume plays a role in the rate of rejections. I do not have many California rejections, but most of my rejections are in Washington and Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 8,107,261 times
I live in Boston, and I know there are a ton of CompSci and IS jobs. Wayfair is very easy to get a job at. Matter of fact both of the kids from Jersey who I went to college with work at Wayfair in Comp Sci. The pay starting is about 65k from what I hear. Im not disclosing anything since they moved on, but the XompSci kid made like 70k in 2017. Thats really good . A few of my family members are in Comp Sci and make over 100k with 5-10 years of experience. They like the city so much better than Jersey. But theres a huge demand to fill the jobs here.

I cant speak for cities I havent lived in but I think IT/Comp Sci jobs follow this pattern:

1. Bay Area

2. Boston
3. Seattle
4. Washington DC
5. Austin

New York, LA and San Diego have limited job opportunities for their size. Everyone I know who applied in these cities dont work there now. Most people I graduated with a few years ago work in either California, Denver, Boston, or Washington.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I live in Boston, and I know there are a ton of CompSci and IS jobs. Wayfair is very easy to get a job at. Matter of fact both of the kids from Jersey who I went to college with work at Wayfair in Comp Sci. The pay starting is about 65k from what I hear. Im not disclosing anything since they moved on, but the XompSci kid made like 70k in 2017. Thats really good . A few of my family members are in Comp Sci and make over 100k with 5-10 years of experience. They like the city so much better than Jersey. But theres a huge demand to fill the jobs here.

I cant speak for cities I havent lived in but I think IT/Comp Sci jobs follow this pattern:

1. Bay Area

2. Boston
3. Seattle
4. Washington DC
5. Austin

New York, LA and San Diego have limited job opportunities for their size. Everyone I know who applied in these cities dont work there now. Most people I graduated with a few years ago work in either California, Denver, Boston, or Washington.

Unfortunately, I have no desire to live back East, but Boston is one of the job trends. Seattle and DC not so much. An article shows Boston is first on the list, then the Bay Area. Scottsdale jobs seem to fit me because they require less experience, so it's a wonderland out there. Even some of the Bay Area jobs are like that but the Bay Area has shockingly high salaries. There are no jobs in NJ, unless you are willing to have a horrible commute to NYC (where NYC is hard to get jobs in) or unless you sleep with your boss.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 8,107,261 times
I say start in Boston and get some experience, and out West. The pay is good and if you get a room in Boston for like 14-18 months, you can save money for a move west and have the experience to get a job in more competitive/ selective markets like Seattle or LA or wherever out there. I suggest Wayfair since it seems they take a lot of people with a Bachelors and decent work ethic and give you absorbent pay. You can find cheaper units that are affordable for CompSci / IT pay, the complex next to me is $1,600 for a 1 bedroom next to a T stop. 2 bedroom is $2,300 ... So you just double up with someone.

So yeah, start there. Save money and get experience, then head west. That would be my reccomendation...

A lot of people on the sight will say NYC until their blue in the face, but thats just not the case. The jobs are highly selective, offer lower pay for the cost of living and the amount of jobs are not enough to support the population looking for jobs at the same time. So I wouldnt look there at all.. its also not worth a terrible commute and the grittiness of it. Im much happier now that Im out of NYC.

I know the East may not be ideal right now but just get a job at a reputable company, get some experience.. save some money then move to where you want.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I say start in Boston and get some experience, and out West. The pay is good and if you get a room in Boston for like 14-18 months, you can save money for a move west and have the experience to get a job in more competitive/ selective markets like Seattle or LA or wherever out there. I suggest Wayfair since it seems they take a lot of people with a Bachelors and decent work ethic and give you absorbent pay.

So yeah, start there. Save money and get experience, then hwad west.
Well, by living in my grandparents' house in the Bay Area, I would be saving a ton of money not having to worry about rent or food expenses (they cook). I'd be saving money from the high SF salaries while most people who live in California can't even make it on a high to six figure salary.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM

213 posts, read 167,146 times
I would add Denver to the list

Old 01-15-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
I would add Denver to the list
Denver does not really show up on news articles as being a trend for jobs.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,218,047 times
If my grandparents were essentially giving me a house in the Bay Area, it would be a no brainer to me.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:12 PM

8,611 posts, read 14,941,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Denver does not really show up on news articles as being a trend for jobs.
Denver's unemployment rate is around 2.4%, and companies are having problems filling open reqs. Finding jobs here isn't difficult at all.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 PM

36,681 posts, read 67,667,903 times
The Bay Area has labor shortages in many industries. We need immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.