Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 06:01 PM

8 posts, read 2,972 times

Advertisements

I need to leave California due to high cost of rents here.I am looking at two cities where the rents are low: Lincoln, NE and Springfield, MO. Maybe there are people on this forum that have lived in both places?

I want cheap rents and rental market that is good for tenants. I just need a small place that is not in a drug,high crime hood. I can earn money anywhere, so job market is not an issue for me.

How do these two cities fare on health care, good doctors and wait times?

I am divorced man and will be looking for a female partner in the 40-60 year old range preferred. So availability of singles dances, events and places other than bars to meet would be a bonus.

What is the public transport like in these two cities? What are the people like?

Much thanks for any helpful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 09:33 PM

12,844 posts, read 9,578,282 times
ttt good luck, not familiar with either place. I think Springfield has a tech presence.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Given the need/desire for quality medical care your final two options are quite limited and wonder how you wound up with those two given better options similarly priced. Columbia MO has the well-regarded U of Missouri Medical Center and is about the same cost as Springfield. Tulsa OK is even cheaper than your two options and has the Oklahoma State U Medical Center which is of higher quality as well.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:39 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,065 times
Lincoln probably has a more diverse crowd of people, and more of a true urban feel with the state capitol and flagship university there. Springfield is nice too, and closer to better outdoor recreation opportunities being adjacent to the Ozarks.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:53 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Springfield is okay, but Lincoln is a nicer town overall.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:13 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Springfield is okay, but Lincoln is a nicer town overall.
I agree with this /\

Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,512 times
I've lived in Springfield and Omaha. Springfield is bigger, but Lincoln is closer to Omaha, which gives you a much larger city in close proximity. Omaha is a cool town. Springfield is prettier, much prettier, from a natural standpoint. Springfield higher level healthcare leaves a lot to be desired. Primary was fine, but get really sick and you're going to St. Louis (excellent health care but 3 hours away). Omaha is so close to Lincoln and has better healthcare. Lincoln is safer. Springfield metro has more crime than KC or St. Louis. . Neither has good public transport. I imagine Lincoln is less expensive, but Springfield had a very low COL. Both are very conservative. Springfield is more diverse and has better restaurants...but again...Omaha is close.

If it were me, I'd take a closer look at Omaha vs. Lincoln. More jobs, more to do, still a low COL.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I've lived in Springfield and Omaha. Springfield is bigger, but Lincoln is closer to Omaha, which gives you a much larger city in close proximity. Omaha is a cool town. Springfield is prettier, much prettier, from a natural standpoint. Springfield higher level healthcare leaves a lot to be desired. Primary was fine, but get really sick and you're going to St. Louis (excellent health care but 3 hours away). Omaha is so close to Lincoln and has better healthcare. Lincoln is safer. Springfield metro has more crime than KC or St. Louis. . Neither has good public transport. I imagine Lincoln is less expensive, but Springfield had a very low COL. Both are very conservative. Springfield is more diverse and has better restaurants...but again...Omaha is close.

If it were me, I'd take a closer look at Omaha vs. Lincoln. More jobs, more to do, still a low COL.
If Springfield is bigger, then why does citi-data show that Lincoln is considerably bigger? Or does Springfield simply feels bigger to you?

Old 01-20-2020, 10:29 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lOOK_GRNER87pasturs View Post
I need to leave California due to high cost of rents here.I am looking at two cities where the rents are low: Lincoln, NE and Springfield, MO. Maybe there are people on this forum that have lived in both places?

I want cheap rents and rental market that is good for tenants. I just need a small place that is not in a drug,high crime hood. I can earn money anywhere, so job market is not an issue for me.

How do these two cities fare on health care, good doctors and wait times?

I am divorced man and will be looking for a female partner in the 40-60 year old range preferred. So availability of singles dances, events and places other than bars to meet would be a bonus.

What is the public transport like in these two cities? What are the people like?

Much thanks for any helpful information.
Lincoln would be colder in the winter and more likely to have lows below zero.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:07 AM

472 posts, read 348,066 times
Lincoln would be colder. I've never been to Springfield, although I have a good buddy from there, and hear decent things. Lincoln is just pretty nice and offers a lot for its size. And as other posters have said it really is quite close to Omaha which would basically have everything you need. I hear both are decent for tech scenes (although neither are top tier obviously). Lincoln was cheap, I enjoyed the city and its feel a lot, and folks there were quite nice. I didn't feel it was overly conservative, kinda felt moderate tbh/nobody really discussed politics or religion. Would recommend Lincoln, but definitely visit both these places first and then make your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.