Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 01:57 PM

137 posts, read 154,401 times

Advertisements

In Great Falls Montana currently. I am completely burned out on the wind here. I want to move somewhere I can mountain bike and camp close to home. I hate windy areas after spending my life in Great Falls. My home budget is $275,000 range and my wife and I can likely make about $35-40k a year each or more. I currently make a little more than that. We want to be near good hospitals and be in a state that health insurance isn't crazy high. Is this even doable? Don't mind 4 months a year but wind has to be minimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 02:23 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Greenville/Spartanburg SC, Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Fayetteville/Springdale AR, Harrisburg/Lancaster PA, Pittsburgh PA

Old 03-03-2020, 03:23 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,791 times
Spokane WA / Coeur d' Alene ID might be a good option for you.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:41 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
you should check out Eastern Tennessee as suggested above.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:07 PM

137 posts, read 154,401 times
Yes I have been looking into the Johnson City area but am concerned about humidity in the summer. I love the Spokane Valley area into Idaho but that area has blown up in prices for the last 5 years beyond my range.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:06 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Yes I have been looking into the Johnson City area but am concerned about humidity in the summer. I love the Spokane Valley area into Idaho but that area has blown up in prices for the last 5 years beyond my range.
I agree. 5 years ago I would've suggested Spokane, but their COL has really increased since then. I almost suggested Boise. Though they're still fairly affordable, their rate of increase in COL will have them at the level of Spokane in a few short years.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:56 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
What exactly is the concern? It's not a swamp, and people in general seem to tolerate it fairly well in the summer months.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:11 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
You could stay out west or way up north where the cooler temps at least make the humidity much more tolerable.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:08 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Southern Colorado area. Colorado Springs comes to mind, but housing prices are going to push your $275k range in many areas. Plenty of recreation and activities within and around the city with the Rocky Mountains at your disposal without humidity and cultural norms similar to MT. We do get winds in winter but they are pretty manageable. Winter is not too severe and summers usually aren't sweltering.

Pueblo CO will have less expensive housing but will not have as many job opportunities as Colo Spgs.

There also are satellite towns that may be workable such as Fountain, Peyton or unincorporated areas in the orbit of Colo Spgs.

Things to do around COS: https://www.visitcos.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgJaKvD_BwE

Old 03-04-2020, 06:32 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Well, the places where it's not windy have lots of trees, and lots of trees means humidity, even in northern states at times. But some humidity's not bad and nearly everywhere will be less windy than Great Falls! If you don't mind winter, you could try La Crosse or Eau Claire WI. Pittsburgh on down the Appalachians would be good for a little warmer, and if you don't mind summer, AR/MO is going to give you a little better bang for your buck than the Appalachians and with equal numbers of trails all over.

I wouldn't want to be a husband wife pair in CO on 40,000 a year. Housing would eat up too much of your budget, especially if you thought Spokane was pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.