Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 07:52 PM

137 posts, read 153,217 times

Advertisements

Well I have $275k cash for a house and I would make at least $40k and my wife would make $30-35k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 08:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
CO is a poor fit for other reasons besides COL. If you are trying to escape wind, one of the heavily treed eastern states would be a good bet. NOT states near the Rocky Mountains!

Old 03-05-2020, 04:32 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
CO is a poor fit for other reasons besides COL. If you are trying to escape wind, one of the heavily treed eastern states would be a good bet. NOT states near the Rocky Mountains!
I don’t think trees have that much to do with it.
If you look at wind maps, the main thing seems to be that you don’t want to be downwind from the Rockies and from there across the plains.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:10 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Yes I have been looking into the Johnson City area but am concerned about humidity in the summer. I love the Spokane Valley area into Idaho but that area has blown up in prices for the last 5 years beyond my range.
I live near Johnson City and have lived in the city limits within the last two years.

$275k is a decent housing budget here. It will not get you a mansion - instead, it will probably be something more like this. Keep in mind that Johnson City is easily the most desirable, and most expensive, city in the area.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-44764?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-62059?view=qv

If you live in the city limits, you pay city AND county property taxes, but receive paid firefighter/EMS service, steeply discounted trash/water service vs. county rates, etc. Combined, city/county property taxes amount to about 1% of the sale price of the property.

Johnson City is the only city that's really growing in the area, and has the area's only healthy mall, the area's best retail, and the area's best dining/nightlife/things to do. It's the home of the regional state university - East Tennessee State - and the school has dramatically improved over the past few years, bringing back football, becoming a mid-major basketball powerhouse, and improving academics and facilities.

There is a mountain bike park very close to downtown called Tannery Knobs. The city also has a "rails to trails" trail in the Tweetsie Trail for biking/walking, and Buffalo Mountain Park within the city. Johnson City is also reasonably close to the Daniel Boone National Forest, Roan Mountain State Park, Watauga Lake, and the Nolichucky River.

https://www.ridetk.com/

Johnson City is also a little over an hour from Asheville, two hours from Greenville, SC, and about three hours from Charlotte.

The biggest drawbacks of the area are geographic isolation, poor job availability, and low pay. While low end jobs in the <$15/hr range are abundant, professional jobs are tough to come by, and pay is often lower than larger cities like Knoxville or Charlotte, even when adjusted for cost of living. It is also a couple hours to any significantly larger area. The airport only flies to Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, and seasonal flights to Florida, so if you need to travel, it can be difficult from here.

While there is some level of heat and humidity during the summer, Johnson City lies at about 1600', which makes it far more tolerable than somewhere like South Carolina.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I don’t think trees have that much to do with it.
If you look at wind maps, the main thing seems to be that you don’t want to be downwind from the Rockies and from there across the plains.
Trees are *part* of the equation, and the dense forests in wetter climates do shelter from the wind. Also, as my post clearly says, I did warn against being near the Rockies.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:02 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I agree. 5 years ago I would've suggested Spokane, but their COL has really increased since then. I almost suggested Boise. Though they're still fairly affordable, their rate of increase in COL will have them at the level of Spokane in a few short years.
Actually Boise's cost of living and median home cost is more than Spokane's.
But if a person wants to be near mountains and outdoor recreation, Boise (and Spokane) are some of the best places in the west.

Quote:
https://www.builderonline.com/money/...-home-prices_c

Boise Is No. 1 For Rising Home Prices
The state of Idaho is also in the lead for highest rising prices in the country.

According to the Idaho Statesman, Boise is currently the national leader for rising home prices.

Tech companies and their employees have started to settle in the area because of the reasonably low home prices and access to outdoor activities.

Quote:
https://therealdeal.com/2020/02/22/t...uxury-markets/
These small US cities have exploding luxury markets
Boise, Idaho and other small cities topped Coldwell Banker’s list of cities to watch

The top markets to watch are Boise, Idaho; Charlotte, North Carolina; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Cincinnati, Ohio; and Fort Worth, Texas.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:04 AM

137 posts, read 153,217 times
From the wind data maps I have seen anywhere on the east side of the rockies is bad for wind. I guess sucking up some humidity is in my future. I like Vermont and NH but I don't have $10k a year for just property taxes.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:27 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
From the wind data maps I have seen anywhere on the east side of the rockies is bad for wind. I guess sucking up some humidity is in my future. I like Vermont and NH but I don't have $10k a year for just property taxes.
Ironically, I was thinking about maybe considering Plattsburgh NY across Lake Champlain from VT. You could have money left over from your home purchase and it puts you near the Adirondack Mountains and there are lakeside beaches nearby. https://www.goadirondack.com/
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...beach-town-ny/
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...secret-ny.html
Adirondacks in the background: Community Development | Plattsburgh, NY

Old 03-05-2020, 09:38 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Virginia has plenty of property above 2000' with minimal property taxes. The problem is finding a job in those areas.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:52 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
St. George, Utah meets your criteria and has gorgeous natural scenery. Plus right next to Zion National Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.