Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 06:31 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You can eat them anywhere, but you can thank Wisconsin, most likely, for making them. Here, they're everywhere.
You can't, actually. You don't have to get very far outside the Upper Midwest to not see them on menus. In the past couple years I've visited the following places, looked for curds on the menus of the restaurants I ate at, and saw nothing: Akron, Dallas, St. Louis, Yellowstone/Grand Teton areas, Denver/Colorado Rockies.

I have family on the east coast, and when they come back to Iowa, it's the first thing they get.

Wisconsin may be most commonly associated, but there's nothing inaccurate with a Minnesotan claiming it's part of their regional cuisine. Walk into any bar in that state, and you can get curds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 06:43 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I fixed red beans and rice yesterday for dinner. A family favorite.

I disagree on the Po-boy, but I prefer mine with fried oysters and a nice remoulade...

Muffaletta can be on someone’s best or worst list, depending on how you feel about olives. I hated it as a kid, but love them now. My family knew the owners of Central Grocery.

It’s been years since I had good crawfish. My extended family would always do a boil when we came down to visit...Pre-Katrina, before they were all flooded out and moved to “higher ground.” As a kid, we’d go out and collect them during their “migrations” across the dirt roads down river.

Now, I’m hungry again.
I love a good Muffaletta. To my surprise, my 2 year old loves olives just like I do!

Old 09-09-2020, 06:46 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Food is probably one of the only things I miss about Michigan:

*Better Made & Uncle Ray's Potato Chips
*Vernors Ginger Ale
*Faygo Pop
*Detroit-style Pizza
*Coney Island Hot Dog
*White Castle

If I had to think of one I don't like, that would be the Packzi. I don't like cream or jelly-filled pastries in general.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:46 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Sorry, cheese curds are Wisconsin, through and through.
No doubt its a Wisconsin invention, I won't debate that. But it's certainly been adopted by the upper northwest region.

I heard a rumor (that I think is true?) that Red Baron and Tombstone Pizza are products of Wisconsin bowling Alley pizza that caught on and went mainstream.

Totino's Pizza Rolls came about in a similar way, they were served at a restaurant named Totinos in Minneapolis, General Mills execs had them on lunch and bought the recipe off them!

Old 09-09-2020, 08:34 AM

453 posts, read 344,939 times
NJ:
Best - our pizza and bagels of course are well known, but I also think our ethnic enclave food is a standout. We have some of the largest ethnic groups outside their original area and I think that is special. Portuguese in Newark and surrounding areas, Indian in Edison and Parsippany, Middle Eastern in Paterson. So much variety so close together. Yum!

Also NJ style Sloppy Joes - YUM. I don't think this type is very well known outside of the area. It's not the weird beef stuff.

Worst - I'm with ya on Taylor Ham. Overrated, but I also don't eat pork products, so it's been quite a while.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:47 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
For Louisiana my favorite food is Oysters Rockefeller from the New Orleans area.

There is no "worst" food in Louisiana because all our food is great, but there are actually many people I know who don't eat raw oysters and have refused to even try it.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:02 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
California

Best: California rolls, Avocado Toast, Mission Burritos, Chop Suey, Fortune cookies, and Bulgogi Tacos.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:01 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

*Vernors Ginger Ale
*Faygo Pop
*Detroit-style Pizza
*Coney Island Hot Dog
*White Castle

If I had to think of one I don't like, that would be the Packzi. I don't like cream or jelly-filled pastries in general.
There is a fantastic Detroit-style Pizza place in Austin: Via 313. I think I like this style more than the better known Chicago and NYC styles. My mouth waters thinking about it.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:38 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
There is a fantastic Detroit-style Pizza place in Austin: Via 313. I think I like this style more than the better known Chicago and NYC styles. My mouth waters thinking about it.
Via 313 fan here too First time I had Detroit-style pizza was in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Was happy when I found out there was a place serving it in Austin and getting great reviews. That caramelized cheese ring gets me every time...

Old 09-09-2020, 12:34 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

*Vernors Ginger Ale
*Faygo Pop
*Detroit-style Pizza
*Coney Island Hot Dog
*White Castle

I just has a Detroit style pizza for the first time this past weekend, and I must say it was pretty damn good. It's heavy, almost like a chicago deep dish, but was worth trying again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.