Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 03:34 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
No ponds or lakes? - Long Island has a lot of ponds, at least 500 of them in an area smaller than Rhode Island.
Maybe 500 recharge basins but 500 ponds? I see Lake Ronk, a few artificial impoundments... Seems like the sandy permeable soil doesn't lend itself to ponds. Cape Cod is sandy too and indisputably loaded with ponds-- not sure why the difference but it's apparent.

Quote:
No NE-type town centers? - Long Island has quite a few village downtowns. Oyster Bay, Huntington Village, Northport, Smithtown, Roslyn, Port Jefferson, Babylon Village, Islip hamlet, Bayshore, Sayville, Patchogue, Amityville, Bellport, Farmingdale, etc. are all in the suburban part of Long Island. The East End has even more.
Village downtowns, yes. Babylon has a couple streets lined with stores. Bay Shore has a street lined with stores. You find those kinds of downtowns all over the country. The New England town center like Guilford or Litchfield CT, Lexington or Amherst MA, and many others, with green, early American houses, some churches and civic buildings isn't common on Long Island. Something like it in East Hampton.

Quote:
Towns - Yes, some of the Long Island towns have extra large territories, Hempstead and especially the huge Brookhaven. But there are historical reasons for this, for instance a large part of Brookhaven was part of a feudal colonial manor owned by one family into the 1800s.
That's right. Colonial New York was like a feudal colony whereas New England was divided into self-governing towns-- no lords, no manors. Seems pretty different to me. There's nothing like the William Floyd estate in New England where one family had slaves and natives working on a 4,500 acre plantation as if it was South Carolina. And that's just an estate, not the Hardenbergh Patent (2 million acres) or Livingston Manor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 05:16 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Maybe 500 recharge basins but 500 ponds? I see Lake Ronk, a few artificial impoundments... Seems like the sandy permeable soil doesn't lend itself to ponds. Cape Cod is sandy too and indisputably loaded with ponds-- not sure why the difference but it's apparent.

Village downtowns, yes. Babylon has a couple streets lined with stores. Bay Shore has a street lined with stores. You find those kinds of downtowns all over the country. The New England town center like Guilford or Litchfield CT, Lexington or Amherst MA, and many others, with green, early American houses, some churches and civic buildings isn't common on Long Island. Something like it in East Hampton.

That's right. Colonial New York was like a feudal colony whereas New England was divided into self-governing towns-- no lords, no manors. Seems pretty different to me. There's nothing like the William Floyd estate in New England where one family had slaves and natives working on a 4,500 acre plantation as if it was South Carolina. And that's just an estate, not the Hardenbergh Patent (2 million acres) or Livingston Manor.
Oh come on.

Maybe 500 recharge basins but 500 ponds? https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7951....20of%20streams.

New York State Department of Conservation - Often recognized for its excellent saltwater fishing, Long Island also provides the angler with outstanding freshwater fishing opportunities in more than 500 lakes and ponds and over 30 miles of streams.

Village downtowns.....

Long Island, which was mostly settled by the English in the 1600s, has more than its share of white churches and old colonial houses among the suburbs. Most of the older communities have at least one classic white church, my Babylon has two. Even Brooklyn on the far west end has some.

https://huntingtonny.gov/filestorage...Green_Park.pdf Huntington Village green. (Most of the original greens are now called parks). The towns once had commons as well, Jones Beach State Park was originally part of the Hempstead Commons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fi...the%20building. Old First Church - Huntington

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setauk..._Burial_Ground Setauket (Brookhaven)

Colonial New York - feudal colony - Yes, New York and I think to some extent New Jersey(?), were unique in the northern colonies for the amount of land tied up in feudal manors and even for retired British military and navy officers. Certainly far more then New England. But most of New York was not like that, I did not mean to imply that all New York belonged to wanna be aristocrats.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Another interesting point is that between King and Lovecraft (as well as the enduring legacy of the Salem Witch Trials in addition to one-offs like Krasinski's A Quiet Place, Jackson/Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House, and Dark Shadows), New England's really had an outsized impact on the American Horror genre.

I've only read one of King's novels (It), but he seems to draw off the everyday "evils of New England" his books. The slow reveal that Derry is the real monster, and It is just along for the ride is very rewarding and believable. While I haven't read it, Carrie seems to incorporate a lot of things like the neuroticism we talked about on this thread and cracking under the weight of strict societal expectations.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:56 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times
Where I live now, people think I'm grumpy and moody.

When I'm back in New England, people think I'm overly cheerful and positive. That about sums it up.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:14 PM

23 posts, read 11,922 times
Being a native of New England, I can tell you that the people do tend to have an attitude of superiority over the rest of the country. I don't know why personally. Just know where not all like that annoying "Cousin from Boston" commercial. Those type of people exist, but they aren't liked much here either.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:56 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Cranberry juice is the primary fruit juice in your household

Old 10-16-2020, 07:17 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Cranberry juice is the primary fruit juice in your household
Accurate

Old 10-20-2020, 10:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
I feel the need to cross-reference my old thread in this one!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...and-place.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.