Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 01:49 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The only answer that makes sense is that a person is a northeasterner if they live in the Northeast. Why do we try and complicate the obvious.
I think the spirit of the thread is “what are the hallmarks of Northeastern culture?”. Cuz, yeah-no-duh a northeasterner is “someone who lives in the northeast”. Great detective work, Sherlock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 01:50 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
As a non- Mid Atlantic guy who works with one from Wilmington and deals with them all the time on national calls and at conferences, the most telling is the different accents from NY to Maryland. All of them have one, and some of these posts that say you cannot tell the difference in under 35 is totally false. They are mostly liberal, very chatty, somewhat in a cocoon, smart in a street smart kind of way, likable for the most part but somewhat annoying if ultra chatty.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:16 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Because people can't help but throw politics into the mix. They think that if a state or part of a state becomes or feels liberal, it automatically makes that state and themselves living in it part of another region which is absurd. They can't seem to grasp that politics doesn't make regions, geography does.
I firmly agree with the final sentence of your post. Delaware and Maryland are Southern states with Northeastern influences because both of those states have exceptionally strong county governments and very few incorporated cities and towns within their respective counties. As far as I am concerned, counties in Delaware and Maryland are not divided by town or township, which is in stark contrast to other Northeastern states, such as New Jersey and New York, for example. In New England and the northern Mid-Atlantic states, most counties have few unincorporated areas or none at all, whereas some of the most populous unincorporated communities in the Untied States exist in Maryland.

And that's not even touching on the facts that Maryland is located south and west of the Mason-Dixon Line, which was traditionally used as the demarcation line between the free Northern states and the slave-holding Southern states, or that the United States Census Bureau still classifies both Delaware and Maryland as Southern states.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:16 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
If you:

1. Hate the Dallas Cowboys.
2. Aren't surprised by a white Christmas
3. Know either Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, DC, Pittsburgh as 'the city' or equivalent.
4. Swim in Cold Beaches
5. Are a terrible driver.

Then, congratulations, you might be from the Northeast!

Old 10-20-2020, 10:37 AM

1,235 posts, read 942,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
If you:

3. Know either Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, DC, Pittsburgh as 'the city' or equivalent.
4. Swim in Cold Beaches

Drivers are terrible everywhere in the US

Old 10-20-2020, 03:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
If you:

4. Swim in Cold Beaches

As someone who drives a lot in the four corners states (NM, CO, AZ, UT) as well as the Northeast, especially within 100 miles north and east of NYC, I can say that if Northeasterners are bad drivers, what the hell are Southwestern drivers?

Down there it is perfectly normal for a 30 year old pickup with peeling paint and a sagging suspension under the weight of random refigerators and bunkbeds, loads sticking several feet into the next lane, to sit in the passing lane at 50mph in a 75mph zone, while lifted, pristine F-350 Super Dutys with Monster Energy drink stickers on the back glass swerve around in the right two lanes at 105mph. Meanwhile 10 year old Priuses held together with old political stickers randomly change lanes without blinkers while apparently deciding to modulate their speed between 60 and 90 mph every 200 yards. Don't get me started on the number of people who sit in the exit only lane until the last second, then swerve back onto the highway after the lane has gone as far as to split off.

Northeastern drivers are just selfish dicks by comparison.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:43 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
If you:

4. Swim in Cold Beaches

I can't be a northeasterner because I don't call any of those places "the city." I call my city "the city"

Old 10-21-2020, 06:44 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
As a non- Mid Atlantic guy who works with one from Wilmington and deals with them all the time on national calls and at conferences, the most telling is the different accents from NY to Maryland. All of them have one, and some of these posts that say you cannot tell the difference in under 35 is totally false. They are mostly liberal, very chatty, somewhat in a cocoon, smart in a street smart kind of way, likable for the most part but somewhat annoying if ultra chatty.
Mid-Atlantic people do talk a lot compared to New Englanders and yea it can get a bit annoying I’m with some individuals.

I don’t often hear accents but I sometimes can. Places like PA NJ or CT don’t really have accents. IMO

Old 10-21-2020, 06:48 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I firmly agree with the final sentence of your post. Delaware and Maryland are Southern states with Northeastern influences because both of those states have exceptionally strong county governments and very few incorporated cities and towns within their respective counties. As far as I am concerned, counties in Delaware and Maryland are not divided by town or township, which is in stark contrast to other Northeastern states, such as New Jersey and New York, for example. In New England and the northern Mid-Atlantic states, most counties have few unincorporated areas or none at all, whereas some of the most populous unincorporated communities in the Untied States exist in Maryland.

And that's not even touching on the facts that Maryland is located south and west of the Mason-Dixon Line, which was traditionally used as the demarcation line between the free Northern states and the slave-holding Southern states, or that the United States Census Bureau still classifies both Delaware and Maryland as Southern states.
Yea County Government in Maryland is a big difference. It’s effects the physical landscape tremendously and it also makes the population really mobile within the state-there’s much much less a sense of community, history and ties in Suburban MD than points north. Town identity isn’t nearly as solidified and people seem to be more comfortable just venturing to different areas of their vast county.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:14 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Mid-Atlantic people do talk a lot compared to New Englanders and yea it can get a bit annoying I’m with some individuals.

I don’t often hear accents but I sometimes can. Places like PA NJ or CT don’t really have accents. IMO
They all have accents just maybe not as distinct or noticeable as an old school NY or Boston accent. Although some Philly and Bmore accents can be quite noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.