Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 11:11 AM

1,260 posts, read 946,542 times

Advertisements

What are some specific areas or regions that on a national scale you think are severely underrated?

My vote goes for Michigan's west coast and upper peninsula. Outside of the midwest, I don't think people really know how beautiful the beaches are in Michigan. Add to that its forests and charming seaside towns. I would even dare to say that Michigan's west coast and upper peninsula beaches are more beautiful than what you find in most of the Atlantic coast (except for Florida and New England, perhaps a tie). By far, Michigan's coastline is much more beautiful than anything you can find in the Gulf Coast part of the US (again maybe except for Florida, although Florida beaches aren't as dramatic as some Michigan ones).

Yet, outside the Great Lakes region you rarely ever hear anyone talk about its beauty or its beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 11:35 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
What are some specific areas or regions that on a national scale you think are severely underrated?

My vote goes for Michigan's west coast and upper peninsula. Outside of the midwest, I don't think people really know how beautiful the beaches are in Michigan. Add to that its forests and charming seaside towns. I would even dare to say that Michigan's west coast and upper peninsula beaches are more beautiful than what you find in most of the Atlantic coast (except for Florida and New England, perhaps a tie). By far, Michigan's coastline is much more beautiful than anything you can find in the Gulf Coast part of the US (again maybe except for Florida, although Florida beaches aren't as dramatic as some Michigan ones).

Yet, outside the Great Lakes region you rarely ever hear anyone talk about its beauty or its beaches.
Michigan wins, but Wisconsin has a beautiful entire eastern border that is Lake Michigan. Also, the Lake Superior shoreline in northern Wisconsin is beautiful, as well. The Driftless Region in WI, is a stunner, as well.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:39 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,707,646 times
Great question! And I agree with you on the Michigan beaches.

Some areas that come to mind:

N. Georgia Mountains - I think most don't think of the mountains when they think of Georgia
St. Croix River valley (between lower half of MN/WI)
Black Hills - I think this mountain range is often overshadowed by the bigger ranges
NJ/Delware Water Gap - NJ has such a "parking lot" stereotype, that many overlook the natural beauty of the "garden state." I used to live near here, and loved hiking the Appalachians.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:40 AM

1,260 posts, read 946,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Michigan wins, but Wisconsin has a beautiful entire eastern border that is Lake Michigan. Also, the Lake Superior shoreline in northern Wisconsin is beautiful, as well. The Driftless Region in WI, is a stunner, as well.
I agree on this as well, although I find Michigan to be far more stunning. One thing that Wisconsin lacks that Michigan has is the number of towns on the coast that make it that more charming. With places like St. Joseph's, Holland, Saugatuck, Traverse City, just to name a few, Wisconsin just doesn't have that as much on its coast.

However, to your point Wisconsin is beautiful too and most people don't know about its beauty except for people in the Midwest. Love the area around Devil's Head or the bluffs of La Crosse.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:04 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times
Other lesser known and under-rated areas include: northeast Oregon, north central Washington, northeast California, central Montana, northern Wyoming, central eastern Arizona, central Utah, southeast Missouri, extreme western South Carolina, western Maryland, northwest Virginia, northern Connecticut, central to western Massachussetts... I also don't hear northern New York mentioned that often these days.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-09-2020 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-09-2020, 12:06 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times
I would say Texas is definitely underrated.

From the hill country, to the lush forests in East Texas, to the coast line along the Gulf, it's surprisingly a beautiful state. It just doesn't get the recognition it deserves it's all spread out and also pop culture stereotypes.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:09 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,707,646 times
In a weird way, I'm tempted to say all of California. Not because it's some undiscovered gem necessarily, but almost because it's known for so many other things (agriculture, nice weather, tech, cities, high taxes, etc), that it's beauty can go overlooked. But it's also arguably the most beautiful all around state, given wine country, ag regions, snow capped mountains, deserts, beaches, Big Sur, etc.

I had several friends who told me they were surprised to find out that you can see mountains in LA, lol.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Illinois is widely known as a flat, boring state full of cornfields, but it has a handful of really nice natural areas.

Starved Rock
Garden of the Gods
Mississippi Palisades

Old 11-09-2020, 12:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I agree on this as well, although I find Michigan to be far more stunning. One thing that Wisconsin lacks that Michigan has is the number of towns on the coast that make it that more charming. With places like St. Joseph's, Holland, Saugatuck, Traverse City, just to name a few, Wisconsin just doesn't have that as much on its coast.

However, to your point Wisconsin is beautiful too and most people don't know about its beauty except for people in the Midwest. Love the area around Devil's Head or the bluffs of La Crosse.
Door County in WI, is awesome.

https://www.google.com/search?q=door...w=1455&bih=717

Also, Milwaukee on Lake Michigan is beautiful, as well.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:33 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Other lesser known and under-rated areas include: northeast Oregon, north central Washington, northeast California, central Montana, northern Wyoming, central eastern Arizona, central Utah, southeast Missouri, extreme western South Carolina, western Maryland, northwest Virginia, northern Connecticut, central to western Massachussetts... I also don't hear northern New York mentioned that often these days.
While I believe more people are familiar with the Adirondack Mountains, I don't think too many people are as familiar with this region on the St. Lawrence River about an hour and 30 minutes north of Syracuse on I-81: https://visit1000islands.com/

https://www.iloveny.com/places-to-go/1000-islands/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly0LHQyQdzg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.