Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 11:26 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I think the point here is the general perception of Illinois and Oklahoma is that they are nothing but flat plains and farmland, and nothing to see in the state but corn.
For the people who are saying Oklahoma is underrated, could somebody please post a picture of something I must see in Oklahoma. Because I honestly can't think of anything. Yes I know the eastern part of the state has hills and trees, and in a region that lacks both of those things, that's a big deal. But for a state to be underrated, I think it has to have something more then just hills and trees. I'd love to see what that is. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 12:17 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think Wyoming is very underrated. Everything I have seen puts it in the bottom third of states to visit. Most people I talk with seem to think of it as a desert wasteland. But the same people love Arizona. Which just baffles me.
I think Wyoming’s location/accessibility and it’s lack of big(er) cities and amenities has more to do with it being in the bottom third of visited, or to visit, states, and not of a preconceived notion that it’s a “desert wasteland” or somehow lacks beauty? Not that it comes up in conversation often, or hardly ever, but the few times I can recall that it has everyone seems to have a high opinion of its beauty. Namely due to the Rocky Mountains. A lot of people know of Jackson Hole regardless if they ski or not.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:48 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
For the people who are saying Oklahoma is underrated, could somebody please post a picture of something I must see in Oklahoma. Because I honestly can't think of anything. Yes I know the eastern part of the state has hills and trees, and in a region that lacks both of those things, that's a big deal. But for a state to be underrated, I think it has to have something more then just hills and trees. I'd love to see what that is. Thanks in advance.
Does something have to be "must see" in order to be underrated?

I don't know that anything in Oklahoma is "must see" but it's a state that is much more geographically diverse and beautiful than it's given credit for. Most people think Oklahoma is a flat expanse of wheat fields, cow pastures, and pump jacks. Granted, there are places like that there, but it's maybe 30% of the state. There are southwestern mesas, rugged wooded mountains, green rolling cropland, dense thicket style forest, cypress swamps, prairies, etc.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I think Wyoming’s location/accessibility and it’s lack of big(er) cities and amenities has more to do with it being in the bottom third of visited, or to visit, states, and not of a preconceived notion that it’s a “desert wasteland” or somehow lacks beauty? Not that it comes up in conversation often, or hardly ever, but the few times I can recall that it has everyone seems to have a high opinion of its beauty. Namely due to the Rocky Mountains. A lot of people know of Jackson Hole regardless if they ski or not.
I don't know the reason. I just know it's way underrated.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:14 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Oregon just doesn't seem as popular as Washington. But I have always thought of them both about equal. Yeah, Washington has bigger and better mountains, but Oregon has a better coast line. To me they should be on the same level.
I really like Oregon's coastline (Cannon beach is amazing) but Washington state has a different ambiance than Oregon because it has both the mountains and the sea in the same setting. I agree Oregon is underrated, but so is Washington state, compared to say Colorado.

Took this today while out jogging in the morning:

Seattle Lincoln Park (own work 11/19/2020). This is the view you get from a city park.

Last edited by Guineas; 11-19-2020 at 10:30 PM..

Old 11-20-2020, 05:51 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I might be one of the few people here who think that it is Washington state that is truly underrated compared to places like Texas or Illinois. Maybe not on city-data, but I think for a good chunk of the general population east of the Rockies. Growing up in Texas I had zero idea that Seattle was surrounded by mountain ranges, volcanoes and glacier fjords. I just figured it was a pretty place with cedars and a coastline, and a constant drizzle. I think that impression held true even when I moved to New England for grad school. Very few of my acquaintances who were locals in New England knew much of anything about the PNW or Seattle, other than some vague idea that it was an outdoorsy kind of place. They knew way more about Colorado, California and Florida.

I don't think Washington state has quite the PR as say Colorado or California, especially among those from the Midwest, Northeast and South (i.e., much of the country). It is a state with a super high concentration of scenic areas, where even local city parks are jaw dropping. There are 3 national parks in 3 directions within day trip access from Seattle; and Whistler in BC is closer to Seattle than Mackinac Island to Grand Rapids.

This is kind of the view you get from Seattle. (Own work Nov 2020).
Absolutely stunning! Rainer is my favorite mountain/volcano in the whole world!

Old 11-20-2020, 09:31 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Don't know if you'd consider it a must see but OK is a lot more beautiful than most people think. Which is why it's the perfect example of what this thread is asking for. The general public thinks that it's all flat prairie land (Which a lot of it is) but it has areas like these scattered throughout the state...

Quartz Mountain State Park

Wichita Mountains

Natural Falls State Park

Gloss Mountain State Park

Turner Falls

Robbers Cave

Little Sahara State Park

Black Mesa Preserve (This is technically the very extreme end of the "Rocky Mountains" near the NM/CO border)

When it comes to mountains OK has the best of both Worlds. More rugged hills/mountains in one part of the state and more lush green hills/mountains in another. They may not be huge but they're really pretty. It's also pretty diverse as far as landscapes/climates go. The only other state where you can go from semi arid high desert to subtropical swamp land with alligators is Texas. Interesting state imo

Old 11-20-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Does something have to be "must see" in order to be underrated?

I don't know that anything in Oklahoma is "must see" but it's a state that is much more geographically diverse and beautiful than it's given credit for. Most people think Oklahoma is a flat expanse of wheat fields, cow pastures, and pump jacks. Granted, there are places like that there, but it's maybe 30% of the state. There are southwestern mesas, rugged wooded mountains, green rolling cropland, dense thicket style forest, cypress swamps, prairies, etc.
Yes, I think it does. If there is nothing unique or special to see there, then how can it be underrated for natural beauty? Underrated would insinuate that there is something there that people don't know about. I see no evidence of that.

If I want to see giant redwood trees, then I must go to California. If I want to see white sand dunes, then I must go to New Mexico. If I want to see Niagara Falls, then I must go to New York, if I want to see the Everglades, then I must go to Florida. If I want to see trees and rolling hills, I don't need to go to Oklahoma. I can see that anywhere, except maybe in the desert.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 11-20-2020 at 10:52 AM..

Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Don't know if you'd consider it a must see but OK is a lot more beautiful than most people think. Which is why it's the perfect example of what this thread is asking for. The general public thinks that it's all flat prairie land (Which a lot of it is) but it has areas like these scattered throughout the state...

Wichita Mountains

Natural Falls State Park

Gloss Mountain State Park

Turner Falls

Robbers Cave

Little Sahara State Park

Black Mesa Preserve (This is technically the very extreme end of the "Rocky Mountains" near the NM/CO border)

When it comes to mountains OK has the best of both Worlds. More rugged hills/mountains in one part of the state and more lush green hills/mountains in another. They may not be huge but they're really pretty. It's also pretty diverse as far as landscapes/climates go. The only other state where you can go from semi arid high desert to subtropical swamp land with alligators is Texas. Interesting state imo
Beautiful images

Old 11-20-2020, 10:43 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Yes, I think it does. If there is nothing unique or special to see there, then how can it be underrated for natural beauty? Underrated would insinuate that there is something there that people don't know about. I see no evidence of that.

If I want to see giant redwood trees, then I must go to California. If I want to see white sand dunes, then I must go to New Mexico. If I want to see Niagara Falls, then I must go to New York, if I want to see the Everglades, then I must go to Florida. If I want to see trees and rolling hills, I don't need to go to Oklahoma. I can see that anywhere, except maybe in the desert.

I'm sorry, I understand that many people love Oklahoma, but it's not underrated IMHO. But if somebody wants to show me some pictures or something to change my mind, I would still be interested in seeing them.
I just posted shots of places I highly doubt the average person would expect to find in Oklahoma right above your post. The thread is about underrated beauty. Not necessarily places that have extraordinary/unique beauty.

Last edited by Mezter; 11-20-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.