Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
I'm surprised no one has tried to get you to move to Omaha or Louisville yet.
Hahaha. Louisville? Why let me upload my umpteen thousand photos of the place....

At least the guy from Omaha doesn't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM

20 posts, read 39,606 times
[quote=mead;3687246]You want liberal stuff in Northern Florida/Georgia?

Just a note, I have just been told that the British definition of Liberal is very different to that of the American definition by liberal I mean tolerant and broadminded.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Liberal here usually means political mostly: Pro-Choice, Pro-Gay Marriage, Pro-Gun control. Not necessarily all of those, but more liberal political ideas. And typically Democrats are liberal and Republicans are conservative.

Liberal can also mean more tolerant and open-minded, but I think it generally refers to political ideas.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Liberal here usually means political mostly: Pro-Choice, Pro-Gay Marriage, Pro-Gun control. Not necessarily all of those, but more liberal political ideas. And typically Democrats are liberal and Republicans are conservative.

Liberal can also mean more tolerant and open-minded, but I think it generally refers to political ideas.
Liberal also is synonymous with controlled economy in America, an important distinction.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
I'm surprised no one has tried to get you to move to Omaha or Louisville yet.

Louisville, is it nice there?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Louisville, is it nice there?
Oh, God, for the sake of all that's decent, don't ask that question. He'll whip out the slide projector and make you look at photographs of all 50 attractive buildings in that place.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Probably 90% of all private schools in the US are church affiliated. You are most likely to find non-church affiliated private schools in the NE US. Throughout the US, a significant majority of the religiously affiliated private schools will be Catholic, probably 2/3. In the South though you will probably find a greater proportion of protestant church schools than elsewhere.
The Denver-Boulder, Colorado area has a number of private, non-church related schools. There are a number of Montessori schools, some to 6th or 8th grade, Waldorf schools (a different educational philosophy), British Friends Primary School in Boulder, Kent Country Day School and Kent Denver High School, and many others. There is a fairly large Catholic school system here, too, and a few Lutheran Schools, including two Lutheran High Schools.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, God, for the sake of all that's decent, don't ask that question. He'll whip out the slide projector and make you look at photographs of all 50 attractive buildings in that place.
50? You're being generous. But hey I do miss seeing pics of dumpy Bardstown Road. It always makes me feel better about living in Knoxville.

But back to the OP:

Atlanta undoubtedly has the most private schools in the South, and a bunch of them are not church affiliated. I used to teach at one of the more prestigious schools in Atlanta, Lovett. Atlanta also has a fabulous international school where all subjects are taught in bilingual classrooms in the early grades (up to 5th, I believe). Atlanta is an amazingly cosmopolitan city (believe it or not). You would not feel out of place there whatsoever unless you choose to.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
50? You're being generous. But hey I do miss seeing pics of dumpy Bardstown Road. It always makes me feel better about living in Knoxville.

But back to the OP:

Atlanta undoubtedly has the most private schools in the South, and a bunch of them are not church affiliated. I used to teach at one of the more prestigious schools in Atlanta, Lovett. Atlanta also has a fabulous international school where all subjects are taught in bilingual classrooms in the early grades (up to 5th, I believe). Atlanta is an amazingly cosmopolitan city (believe it or not). You would not feel out of place there whatsoever unless you choose to.
Atlanta appears to hve a lot of fans I will definitly do some research into it. We were there on a short trip 2 years ago, I liked it, however it was quite big reminded me of London a little, I'm not looking to move to a huge city again but would like to be close to one. One possible area is Berry (with regards to work), there is a college with a private school onsite does anyone know anthing about that area and/or Berry college?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:59 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
Quatro
First let me say I think your fears are unnecessary. Just as British smallish towns are more of a clique, the same exists here. You can find the place you are searching for and you can have options as well.

Tallahasse is in the general area of Panama City as well as Pensacola. Good size for your needs. Atlanta has nearby small towns and neighborhoods that are family friendly. My son lives in Sandy Springs and when I visit I notice a lot of areas with lovely homes and good schools. I don't know specifics but Marietta and its environs might work. Kennesaw or Duluth. Check them out on the Georgia forum. Fairhope, Alabama maybe. Check their forum. I think my town of Hattiesburg, MS, would work very well.

I think the only point in terms of ethnic tension might be that mentioned very astutely by another poster. Your son's polish and accent and big city background should be no problem with mainstream society, black, white, and others. Your choice of schools and neighborhoods should make that a nonissue. But it is fair to say he probably would not be as easily accepted by blacks who strongly support black culture as a separate entity. Different strokes for different foks. All are entitled to their avenues of self-expression but it might be something to be aware of. I say this based on experiences I have had with friends of my children who were mainstream African-Americans who had difficulty being accepted by the closely-knit black community. If I am wrong here someone can correct me.

Good luck! An exciting move for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.