Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:05 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Atlanta appears to hve a lot of fans I will definitly do some research into it. We were there on a short trip 2 years ago, I liked it, however it was quite big reminded me of London a little, I'm not looking to move to a huge city again but would like to be close to one. One possible area is Berry (with regards to work), there is a college with a private school onsite does anyone know anthing about that area and/or Berry college?
Berry College is in Rome, Georgia, about half way between Atlanta and Chattanooga. The private school there is a very good school. The college covers a huge area, I mean hundreds of acres of woods. In fact, I believe they get much of their money from selling timber from their property.

Rome is a nice little town (35,000'ish) in a very nice area. Very hilly, very forested. If you're able to get a job at Berry, I would highly recommend the area.

You might also look into Chattanooga. There are some amazingly good private schools in Chattanooga (Baylor, McCallie, Notre Dame, GPS are the first to come to mind). Chattanooga is absolutely beautiful, nestled in a river valley surrounded by mountains. You can go from downtown Chattanooga to whitewater rafting and hanggliding in less than 30 minutes.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 12:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
I would suggest you consider a very good public school. Your child will experience more diversity, more range of economic groups and cultures, in a public school. Many people think all public schools are poor, but the South - indeed, the U.S. - does have excellent public schools. Not all are excellent, but many are.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 PM

20 posts, read 39,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I would suggest you consider a very good public school. Your child will experience more diversity, more range of economic groups and cultures, in a public school. Many people think all public schools are poor, but the South - indeed, the U.S. - does have excellent public schools. Not all are excellent, but many are.
I am keeping an open mind and looking at some charter schools to. Thanks for the advice

Old 05-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

You might also look into Chattanooga. There are some amazingly good private schools in Chattanooga (Baylor, McCallie, Notre Dame, GPS are the first to come to mind).

Good luck!
Mmmm more food for thought. I have heard Chattanooga is beautiful. You said you are a teacher, what are international schools like in America? in
Europe they have a reputation of being full of diplomat children who move on every year or two is it the same in the US? I appreciate it can differ from area to area. Also would you, with your inside knowledge, recommend a high achieving state school (charter?) or a private school? And finally What are Lutheran schools like? I keep on dismissing them but people keep on recommending them am I missing something? I know it's terribly cheeky of me asking you all these qestions and I appreciate that you may be busy but I do look forward to your response.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:16 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Mmmm more food for thought. I have heard Chattanooga is beautiful. You said you are a teacher, what are international schools like in America? in
Europe they have a reputation of being full of diplomat children who move on every year or two is it the same in the US? I appreciate it can differ from area to area. Also would you, with your inside knowledge, recommend a high achieving state school (charter?) or a private school? And finally What are Lutheran schools like? I keep on dismissing them but people keep on recommending them am I missing something? I know it's terribly cheeky of me asking you all these qestions and I appreciate that you may be busy but I do look forward to your response.
I enjoy talking about education in America, so I'm glad you're asking! Others may have differing opinions from what I'm offering, however.

Not every state has charter schools, unfortunately. I think they're a great idea. I know that in Utah they seem to be doing wonders. I don't think Georgia has charter schools, but I could be wrong. Same with Florida.

The Atlanta International School is different from international schools overseas in that the students are typically from local families who have a more global outlook. Some are from diplomat families (Atlanta has a bunch of foreign consulates) and some are children of foreign businessmen and businesswomen who are in Atlanta temporarily. However, most are in Atlanta to stay.

As a general rule, public schools in the US are mediocre at best. There are a few exceptions, mainly in towns that are centered around universities or in some wealthy suburbs of big cities. Otherwise, particularly in the South, you might be disappointed in the quality of education received at a public school.

From what I have seen, Lutheran schools tend to be pretty good. While religion is of course stressed, it's nothing like what you'd experience at schools run by more evangelical churches such as Southern Baptists or the Church of Christ. I would also not hesitate to recommend Episcopal schools as they tend to be more "progressive," too.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I enjoy talking about education in America, so I'm glad you're asking! Others may have differing opinions from what I'm offering, however.

Not every state has charter schools, unfortunately. I think they're a great idea. I know that in Utah they seem to be doing wonders. I don't think Georgia has charter schools, but I could be wrong. Same with Florida.

The Atlanta International School is different from international schools overseas in that the students are typically from local families who have a more global outlook. Some are from diplomat families (Atlanta has a bunch of foreign consulates) and some are children of foreign businessmen and businesswomen who are in Atlanta temporarily. However, most are in Atlanta to stay.

As a general rule, public schools in the US are mediocre at best. There are a few exceptions, mainly in towns that are centered around universities or in some wealthy suburbs of big cities. Otherwise, particularly in the South, you might be disappointed in the quality of education received at a public school.

From what I have seen, Lutheran schools tend to be pretty good. While religion is of course stressed, it's nothing like what you'd experience at schools run by more evangelical churches such as Southern Baptists or the Church of Christ. I would also not hesitate to recommend Episcopal schools as they tend to be more "progressive," too.
Thanks for the information I like the sound of Episcopal and Friends schools I will look into Lutheran schools too. This will actually be the decider for whatever place we choose to live so I realy do appreciate your advice. I know too that I will get a feel for different schools once I arrive in the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.