Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 PM

20 posts, read 39,610 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving with my family to the US in about 8 weeks. We are initially moving to Panama City Fl for a month and to check out the Nth Florida area. My husband (a US citizen who left California 27 years ago) has also applied for jobs in Georgia. After many years in London we are looking for a slower pace of life. We have 2 young children. One of my concearns is how multi cultural is Northern Florida. My eldest child (black) has many friends both black and white as this is not an issue in London. Is it really a huge issue in the States? We are planning to put the children into private school and now after reading some threads I am beginning to get worried as to whether they will make friends in a predominantly white environment. I can't believe this is going to be an issue, is it? Also are all the private schools church affiliated? Does anyone know of any non denominational private schools networks in Florida? Any suggestions of more liberal possibly bohemian areas to move to would be greatly appreciated. I love America and can't wait to move there but I am becoming increasingly worried. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,784,035 times
I have no idea about Florida, but I doubt it would be racist.

According to city-data Panama City is about 22% black, so there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
You want liberal stuff in Northern Florida/Georgia?

While were at it, can you find me a Southern Baptist church in London, and perhaps a very conservative area to go along with it?

If you want people to act like they do in London (progressive, wealthy, trendy, perhaps even a little bit snooty) I would focus your search on major cities in the USA. New York, DC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, etc.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Probably 90% of all private schools in the US are church affiliated. You are most likely to find non-church affiliated private schools in the NE US. Throughout the US, a significant majority of the religiously affiliated private schools will be Catholic, probably 2/3. In the South though you will probably find a greater proportion of protestant church schools than elsewhere.

As for the issues your eldest may face, it will actually be less a racial issue than a class or cultural one. A black child with a middle or upper class British accent will not fare well among lower income American blacks. Conversely, a black child with a British accent reinforced with middle class family values will be readily accepted among most middle class whites and their parents. The reality is that the accent will rightly or wrongly set your child apart as sophisticated and well-mannered.

There's an episode of Frazier where Roz dates a English beer hall drunk and thinks he's the cats meow because of his accent.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Mead's watching way too many "In The Heat Of The Night" reruns. His ignorance notwithstanding, it's really not a problem in larger Southern communities. Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Huntsville, Ashville, Nashville, Jacksonville etc. etc., have a pretty balanced view on things. It really doesn't matter whether you're liberal or conservative. The south is a far more diverse, tolerant, and open minded place than say, the Bronx.

Almost all private schools in the states have some kind of church affiliation. At the same time, that doesn't mean they're all run by a bunch of knuckle-dragging fundamentalists. A school run by Primitive Baptists (yes, that's an actual denomination) is a far cry from one run by the Episcopalians and the Catholics.

By the way, Panama City is kind of a blue-collar community, and may not necessarily be representative of what you'll find elsewhere. Spend some time traveling around and find a city that just feels right.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Hi, I am moving with my family to the US in about 8 weeks. We are initially moving to Panama City Fl for a month and to check out the Nth Florida area. My husband (a US citizen who left California 27 years ago) has also applied for jobs in Georgia. After many years in London we are looking for a slower pace of life. We have 2 young children. One of my concearns is how multi cultural is Northern Florida. My eldest child (black) has many friends both black and white as this is not an issue in London. Is it really a huge issue in the States? We are planning to put the children into private school and now after reading some threads I am beginning to get worried as to whether they will make friends in a predominantly white environment. I can't believe this is going to be an issue, is it? Also are all the private schools church affiliated? Does anyone know of any non denominational private schools networks in Florida? Any suggestions of more liberal possibly bohemian areas to move to would be greatly appreciated. I love America and can't wait to move there but I am becoming increasingly worried. Many thanks.
I think these questions should be asked in the Florida and Georgia forums, you'll probably get more specific information there.

But as a general rule (and has been already mentioned) if you're moving to a small town in the southeastern US, the only private schools are likely those affiliated with evangelical Christian churches, although some towns also have schools run by Lutherans and Episcopalians. Larger towns will also have Catholic private schools as well as a smattering of non-religious private schools.

While I seriously doubt you'll run into much racism (that's a stereotype about the South that is waaaayyyy overblown), if it's really a concern for you then you might consider sticking to towns with universities. Or stick with the big cities.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,512 times
Racism is seriously overplayed in the South and most people there are Open minded, heck sometimes even more then in parts of Northern US Cities.

Most Private schools are church affiliated, but if your child gets good grades they can probably test into a High level Public High School.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:19 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
I think most private schools are church-affiliated, and probably more white than black.

The only place I would expect race to even be an issue would maybe be in some small towns (like mine, unfortunately). Even then, I wouldn't expect violence, but maybe some comments and looks. Obviously not all of the U.S. is like that, but some smaller towns are. Usually big cities are alright. Obviously there are wonderful small towns that are very open-minded and friendly, but there can be some bad ones in there, too. Unfortunately I hear the "N" word maybe once a week or more, Jew as an insult, "Muslims are terrorists", homosexual insults, chauvenistic comments. Part of it is just because I'm in High School and they're being dumb kids, but I'm sure it can hurt if it effects you. No one would say it to your face, but there would be people talking. But that's my town, and most adults don't act that way (from what I've seen). There are a few blacks in the area, and they seem to be accepted alright, but hearing the "N" word is fairly common, especially in High School.

But there are plenty of small towns in the U.S. that are just lovely and welcoming.

If you do decide to move from FL, other than private schools and racial issues, what would you be looking for: like budget, type of housing, climate, political views...

Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Hi Quatro

Having grown up in the UK and having moved to the US when I was 19, I think I can give you a good idea of some places to look.

I spent 4 years in NYC and 6 years in the south: Texas, Florida, and Georgia.

If you're even remotely interested in the Southeast, you must consider Atlanta. I live in Midtown, which has a VERY affordable cost of living, plenty of activities, schools, parks, various ethnic groups, you name it. Your children would not only fit in, as it is by far the most progressive and liberal place in the South, but they would likely be very popular because having a British accent is a great conversation starter anywhere in the US.

I've lived in Atlanta for three years now and wouldn't choose to move if it weren't for work. Eventually, I'll work my way back to England.

As for Racism, Christian Conversatism, or whatever your general fears are, I really wouldn't worry about them. But, as someone stated earlier, the easiest way to avoid any sort of "southern" prejudice is to live in a bigger city. As far as the South goes, Atlanta is the only place in my opinion where those concerns would be taken off your mind.

If you are looking in the Northeast, NYC or DC are great choices.

Good luck

Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 AM

654 posts, read 1,211,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmouth1980 View Post
As far as the South goes, Atlanta is the only place in my opinion where those concerns would be taken off your mind.
Come on now. There are many more places besides Atlanta. Charlotte, Charleston, Columbia, Raleigh, Savannah, Nashville, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, just to name a few, are all places where there is very, very little to worry about as far as racism goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.