Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 04:08 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,113,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To shift to the South, but looking at cities in SC on this source: https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...a/160-4530850/

It kind of surprised me by the decline in the percentages in the cities in that state. Charleston at 17% really messed me up, because that city I believe was predominantly black in the early 80’s. Even Greenville, Columbia and North Charleston saw substantial drops. NC was similar with Durham now at 36% and Charlotte at 33.1%. So, the cities in these states are seeing a shift due to their popularity.
We're in the same boat. Only 7 of 50 states experience Black loss and the only 2 southern states are yours and mine.

Mississippi Black pop decline by 1.3% or loss 13K people. Which reduces the state's black % from 37 to 36.6 yet still have the highest % of Blacks in the US. I'm scrolling through counties later and see where black population wenr up & down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 04:59 PM

6,397 posts, read 5,033,399 times
Western cities, black population change

Missoula MT +78.1%
Boise ID +75.6%
Billings MT +38.6%
Phoenix AZ +33.8%
Spokane WA +27.9%
Las Vegas NV +27.2%
Reno NV +25.6%
Tucson AZ +16.7%
Salt Lake City UT +13.3%
Albuquerque NM +10.6%
Seattle WA +6.4%
Portland OR +4.1%
Tacoma WA +2.1%
Sacramento CA +1.2%
San Francisco CA -4.4%
San Diego CA -6.5%
Los Angeles CA -7.9%
Oakland CA -14.3%

Note that even in some of the cities in the positive column, this is likely just natural growth and black migration is probably negative. Still, it's interesting that black population growth is so inversely correlated with where the largest existing black populations are. My guess is it's mostly the blacks who can afford to leave poor majority-black neighborhoods doing so.

(One exception: Las Vegas iirc has the biggest black population in the west outside of California, but is also in the upper tier for growth. But Las Vegas also has a lot of suburbia in its city limits that the CA cities don't as much, so maybe they're moving from the poor black neighborhoods to places farther out)

Old 08-23-2021, 05:49 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,854,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Missoula MT +78.1%
Boise ID +75.6%
Billings MT +38.6%
Phoenix AZ +33.8%
Spokane WA +27.9%
Las Vegas NV +27.2%
Reno NV +25.6%
Tucson AZ +16.7%
Salt Lake City UT +13.3%
Albuquerque NM +10.6%
Seattle WA +6.4%
Portland OR +4.1%
Tacoma WA +2.1%
Sacramento CA +1.2%
San Francisco CA -4.4%
San Diego CA -6.5%
Los Angeles CA -7.9%
Oakland CA -14.3%

Note that even in some of the cities in the positive column, this is likely just natural growth and black migration is probably negative. Still, it's interesting that black population growth is so inversely correlated with where the largest existing black populations are. My guess is it's mostly the blacks who can afford to leave poor majority-black neighborhoods doing so.

(One exception: Las Vegas iirc has the biggest black population in the west outside of California, but is also in the upper tier for growth. But Las Vegas also has a lot of suburbia in its city limits that the CA cities don't as much, so maybe they're moving from the poor black neighborhoods to places farther out)
Is there natural growth of the black population in general? Actually, I know on the whole, there isn't.

The black birth rate is like 1.77 kids per woman and it's been below 2.1 for most of this decade. I feel like were only growing due to immigration, and where you see growth there is either domestic in-migration or immigration. I dont think any city would even see 15% growth in natural black births-unless there are many immigrants.

Las Vegas is basically that one Western City other than Phoenix that black folks can go and live the Dallas/ATL lifestyle. The rest are too focused on public transit, urbanity, higher edd/tech, and they have high COL. Both cities receive blacks from LA but I think Vegas has more of a national profile. Add to this it has less of a racist/republican image than AZ and more black nightlife/visitors.

Las Vegas is such a laid-back vibe and its so diverse its one of the least-race-conscious big cities I can think of. I saw some very nice neighborhoods in far NW Vegas with black families out and about. Lemonade stands, cookouts, basketball al that. Almost retro.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/58...!4d-115.082639

https://www.google.com/maps/place/58...!4d-115.082639

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2422...7i11264!8i5632

Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Missoula MT +78.1%
Boise ID +75.6%
Billings MT +38.6%
Phoenix AZ +33.8%
Spokane WA +27.9%
Las Vegas NV +27.2%
Reno NV +25.6%
Tucson AZ +16.7%
Salt Lake City UT +13.3%
Albuquerque NM +10.6%
Seattle WA +6.4%
Portland OR +4.1%
Tacoma WA +2.1%
Sacramento CA +1.2%
San Francisco CA -4.4%
San Diego CA -6.5%
Los Angeles CA -7.9%
Oakland CA -14.3%

A lot of those places showing growth could also be due to having a major college presence. This is especially the case for Missoula, which is home to the University of Montana.

There’s also the strong military presence, which is the case for most of the higher growth cities.

Billings is the only one that seems surprising due to not really having either one of those things, but the has been a small, long time black population there.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:18 AM

41 posts, read 27,958 times
About the Census, and more precisely Black Pop by state.
I just want to add this from the Census Bureau site :

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...diversity.html
Reading the texte You can find "
It is important to note that these data comparisons between the 2020 Census and 2010 Census race data should be made with caution, taking into account the improvements we have made to the Hispanic origin and race questions and the ways we code what people tell us.

Accordingly, data from the 2020 Census show different but reasonable and expected distributions from the 2010 Census for the White alone population, the Some Other Race alone or in combination population, and the Multiracial population, especially for people who self-identify as both White and Some Other Race.

So reading all this makes very difficult to compare Black pop alone ! This has to be taken with a grain of salt !
The best way, or less worse, is to compare Black + Combo into account.
In the NorthEast, and in Oklahoma you have to think about this situation :
1 - Northeast, from 5% to 40% of the Black population are from The Caribbean or Latin america. In 2010 a person may have check "Black alone". Then in 2020 with the improvement of collecting informations about "Other race(s) or two or more races", this same person may check Some other race or two or more => 1 less Black alone ! So the Black alone population is bound to get reduced, and in the meantime Other race(s) and 2 or more are exploding !

2 - Oklahoma : when comparing Black+combo in 2010 then 2020, you can the trend, but in a different way. Many Blacks in this state have Native blood, or are descendants of Chocktaw/Cherokee Freed men !
Some may have decided to check 2 or more.

3 - Let's have a look at results :
Massachussetts (Black&Combo) (2010) : 7,8 ; (2020) : 9,5 (+31,8% = 161453)

Connecticut (Black&Combo) (2010) : 11,3 ; (2020) : 13 (+15,2% = 61816)

Rhode Island (Black&Combo) (2010) : 7,4 ; (2020) : 9,1 (+28,5% = 22171)

Oklahoma (Black&Combo) (2010) : 8,7 ; (2020) : 9,7 (+16,8% = 55077 )

Increases are similar from a census to another since 1980, in New England
Now, Oklahoma confirms (2), as this states has never been the fanciest destination for Black people since 1900.
Numbers of the census 2020 are certainly not accurate ! But are they 2%, 5% or 10% off We'll never know.

Let's deal with what we have !
What shocked me the most is South Carolina numbers for South Carolina ? It really sounds weird !!!

Thanks to all contributors, I enjoy learning, mostly, from your side stories about specific (not known) places where Black People dwelve
Peace

Old 08-27-2021, 11:33 AM

41 posts, read 27,958 times
Default Just to add more

2010 to 2020 US pop went from 308M to 331 M => 23M
2orMore went from 9M to 33 M => 24 M
Just these results show us that it is/will be difficult to compare data !?

Old 08-27-2021, 11:46 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,721,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Is there natural growth of the black population in general? Actually, I know on the whole, there isn't.

The black birth rate is like 1.77 kids per woman and it's been below 2.1 for most of this decade. I feel like were only growing due to immigration, and where you see growth there is either domestic in-migration or immigration. I dont think any city would even see 15% growth in natural black births-unless there are many immigrants.
1.77 kids per woman means in the future there will be a net decrease, however as far as natural growth in the short run, it is still growing, since the younger cohorts are numerically bigger than the older ones. Even if they are not replacing themselves, they are big enough to replace the older cohorts that are dying off and then some.

Also, if you're talking about % terms, since black TFR is higher than the US average, that means black population % will go up even if the actual number of individuals goes down, since whites and asians will decline even more rapidly. This is all talking about natural domestic birth tendencies of course, immigration screws these numbers up depending on where the immigrants are coming from. The only reason why black % share of the population slightly went down during this census is due to foreign immigration, not due to natural birth rates. If we stop foreign immigration, the share of black population will keep rising by a lot, as the overall birth rates for the US are negative.
As you can see with this census, every future census will see cities and metro areas grow at a slower pace than the census before, as most population increases come from natural birth rates. Texas will still grow the strongest, as they have high TFR and a lot of hispanics. We will soon need millions of new immigrants per year to stem overall population decline. The huge baby boomer generation will start to die off starting this decade, at a rate of 3-4 million people per year, and millennials, gen-z, and generation alpha (the gen after gen-z) are not having this many births to cover. By the end of the 2020s, the United States will be losing about a city the size of Seattle every year from just natural population decline.

Last edited by Gantz; 08-27-2021 at 11:58 AM..

Old 08-27-2021, 04:07 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,430,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In Rhode Island:

9.1% of the population is Black alone or in some combination, including Hispanic.
5.0% of the population is Black alone, non-Hispanic.

Just over 45% of all Black people in Rhode Island are either mixed-race, Hispanic or both. A ratio virtually unchallenged by any other state.

at 3.4%, Rhode Island has the highest share of its population that is mixed-race black people of any state, including the District of Columbia.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...20-census.html

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...20-census.html The only states comparable are Wyoming Idaho Montana and New Hampshire, all of which have black population of less than 2%
Is this mixed race black population mostly Dominican and Cabo verdean ?

Old 08-27-2021, 04:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,597,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
In Rhode Island, yes.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:02 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,854,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Probably.

..best example:

Brockton MA came at 33.8% black, 28.2% white, 17.1% Mixed race, 12.9% Latino. ACS Estimates had it at 50.9% none Hispanic black alone, any that many mixed white-black black people in Brockton at all, not by a long shot. It's 100% out of whack with the rest of the state. Idk what the black in combo is for them yet. I was there 2 weeks ago almost everyone under 50 was black in appearance . Many Cape Verdeans are identifying as mixed race, which technically most of them are. Brockton is the most Cape Verdean city in the United States, after that is Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

Meanwhile the Brockton schools district is 60.6% black 17.0% Latino 15.5% while and only 4.5% mixed race... https://profiles.doe.mass.edu/profil...orgtypecode=5&

How can anyone realistically believe on 4.5% of the kids are mixed race but 17.1% of the city is???

I'm sure Rhode Island Is the same. Because most of familiar us were connecting those states would be 9-10% black which they did. People seem to have changed how they identify. So use MA as an example because I know it a little better but MA saw a 31.5% increase in it's black/combo population RI saw a 28% increase they're similar. I don't see a very high white /american black crossover. I also think many people in inner cities of New England consider Black and Hispanic to be multi-racial. I'm “Spanish and Black” means “Dominican/Puerto Rican and African American”

The census says MA’s black alone population only rose by 40,000 but black alone in combo Hispanic rose by 161.000...

No doubt CT has much of that going on but to a lesser degree.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-27-2021 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.