Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 07:53 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
To me, it's ALWAYS about metro population. Otherwise Jacksonville is considered "larger" than SF
This. City pop is worthless as a comparison metric.

I agree with the posters that say it's opinion based. There is no one clear authority that defines these things.

I agree with other posters that it's a combination of population and regional draw/amenities. I don't agree that there's 1 clear cut off number. I consider cities(metros) over 2 million major there are a few under it that I'd consider major as well.

For me semi-major cities are open for debate. Any of them in the Omaha - Jacksonville range and a few smaller than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 10:03 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I agree with other posters that it's a combination of population and regional draw/amenities. I don't agree that there's 1 clear cut off number. I consider cities(metros) over 2 million major there are a few under it that I'd consider major as well.
I think this is an important consideration. If a city's status as major, semi-major, etc. were determined solely by population, we'd just list the ones that fell within the range and call it a day. But there's more to it than that. As an example, the metros for Des Moines, Iowa and Lakeland, Florida are essentially the same in population. But one of those cities is its state's capital, its largest city, a regional hub, and a major player in the insurance industry. The other one . . . isn't. I would consider Des Moines to be a semi-major city for sure. But I really don't think I would classify Lakeland as such.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:10 AM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
1.5 million-2 million is my definition for the minimum of a “major” city.

800k-1.5 million would be semi-major in my mind.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:34 AM

54 posts, read 57,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think this is an important consideration. If a city's status as major, semi-major, etc. were determined solely by population, we'd just list the ones that fell within the range and call it a day. But there's more to it than that. As an example, the metros for Des Moines, Iowa and Lakeland, Florida are essentially the same in population. But one of those cities is its state's capital, its largest city, a regional hub, and a major player in the insurance industry. The other one . . . isn't. I would consider Des Moines to be a semi-major city for sure. But I really don't think I would classify Lakeland as such.
Kind of cool that both Des Moines and Lakeland are located in their own respective "Polk" County, LOL.

However, I couldn't agree more. Lakeland wouldn't qualify for semi-major status in Florida, let alone nationally. The city itself is almost half the size of Des Moines, a downtown comparison are like night and day and Lakeland has no dedicated airline service for starters.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:19 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Thanks for explaining the parameters of this question. That said I will offer Boise, Idaho. Truly a very fast growing State capital with well over 700,000 now but may be approaching a million by 2030.

Old 10-10-2021, 03:48 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Other cities I would call solidly semi-major or "regional cities":
Spokane, WA
Anchorage, AK
Tucson, AZ
Fresno/Bakersfield, CA
Tulsa, OK
Peoria/Rockford/Springfield, IL
Fort Wayne, IN
Richmond, VA
Hartford, CT
Springfield, MA

Borderline semi-major/major:
Albuquerque, NM
Dayton, OH
Jacksonville, FL
Oklahoma City, OK
Buffalo, NY

Borderline semi-major/small cities:
Eugene, OR
Huntington, WV
Corpus Christi/Waco/Amarillo/Lubbock, TX
Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Little Rock, AR

Last edited by mjlo; 10-11-2021 at 05:12 AM..

Old 10-10-2021, 04:25 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Reno does feel like a somewhat bigger city than Boise; it has a few walkable commercial corridors outside the downtown while Boise doesn't really. I really think of both as being in the same league, though, and I actually immediately thought of Reno when I saw the thread.

Other cities I would call solidly semi-major or "regional cities":
Spokane, WA
Anchorage, AK
Tucson, AZ
Fresno/Bakersfield, CA
Tulsa, OK
Peoria/Rockford/Springfield, IL
Fort Wayne, IN
Richmond, VA
Hartford, CT
Springfield, MA

Borderline semi-major/major:
Albuquerque, NM
Dayton, OH
Jacksonville, FL
Oklahoma City, OK
Buffalo, NY

Borderline semi-major/small cities:
Eugene, OR
Huntington, WV
Corpus Christi/Waco/Amarillo/Lubbock, TX
Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Little Rock, AR
Boise has walkable commercial areas outside of downtown. The downtown area is impressive considering how vibrant and eclectic and walkable it is.

Old 10-10-2021, 06:58 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
The OMB considers any city with a 2-million plus metro a "major" city, so that's what I go with. We currently have 35 metropolises above 2-million, and if that seems like alot, consider there are nearly 400 defined MSAs...

So a semi or mid-major city for me would be the 1-2 million range...

35 major cities seems reasonable to me, but if you're a curmudgeon with tight standards I guess I'd say, no one disagrees with any of the 12 largest cities being considered "major". Most people don't consider the Inland Empire a separate metro, so then you add Detroit, Seattle, MSP, and San Diego that most people would call "major" cities. That's 16 cities...

The question of who's "major" or not comes into play around Tampa Bay, which I don't know why anyone would question the major viability of Tampa, but I think it fits; people consider smaller places like Baltimore major all the time...

Every place above 2-million pretty much meets the requirements of being a major city. Once you've defined major you can define "semi-major"...

Old 10-10-2021, 10:29 AM

561 posts, read 514,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The OMB considers any city with a 2-million plus metro a "major" city, so that's what I go with. We currently have 35 metropolises above 2-million, and if that seems like alot, consider there are nearly 400 defined MSAs...

So a semi or mid-major city for me would be the 1-2 million range...

35 major cities seems reasonable to me, but if you're a curmudgeon with tight standards I guess I'd say, no one disagrees with any of the 12 largest cities being considered "major". Most people don't consider the Inland Empire a separate metro, so then you add Detroit, Seattle, MSP, and San Diego that most people would call "major" cities. That's 16 cities...

The question of who's "major" or not comes into play around Tampa Bay, which I don't know why anyone would question the major viability of Tampa, but I think it fits; people consider smaller places like Baltimore major all the time...

Every place above 2-million pretty much meets the requirements of being a major city. Once you've defined major you can define "semi-major"...
I pretty much agree with this.

I’d place Omaha as a “mid-major”- along with its peers- Tulsa, Albuquerque, Tucson, Grand Rapids, Birmingham, Oklahoma City, Louisville, etc..Metros basically knocking at the door of 1 million to under the 2 million metro population range. 2 million metro population plus gets into that Major category.

Old 10-10-2021, 03:17 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times
So I never actually made a list of what I considered to be "semi-major" based my actual criteria (for the record, Hartford is actually a major city in my criteria)

Mobile and Huntsville are both semi-major cities (both CSA's are more indicative of their actual metros)
Baton Rouge
Columbia
Charleston (SC)
Chattanooga
Knoxville
Albany
Syracuse
etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.