Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 03:56 PM

859 posts, read 695,526 times

Advertisements

I think Asheville NC could definitely count. It's quite well-known.

Albuquerque also counts

Richmond VA, Charleston SC, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 04:05 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Boise has walkable commercial areas outside of downtown. The downtown area is impressive considering how vibrant and eclectic and walkable it is.
Where, besides the area in the North End around Goody's Soda Fountain?

I agree that the downtown itself has kept up with the city's growth surprisingly well. But I didn't see much outside of that.

I do think Boise outperforms Reno in terms of parks in the city's core. The Truckee River waterfront east of downtown Reno is concrete-laden and unattractive, and the only decent view of the city is from tiny Newlands Park, which you can't even see downtown from. Camel's Back Park and the Idaho Botanical Garden are solid city assets (though the latter would be better if it were free or cheaper!) Boise also probably has a better food scene, just because Reno's food scene is a joke.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:53 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Thanks for explaining the parameters of this question. That said I will offer Boise, Idaho. Truly a very fast growing State capital with well over 700,000 now but may be approaching a million by 2030.
It's growing crazy fast with a CSA population of around 812,000 and Metro of nearly 750,000. It seems like there are always cranes in the sky downtown and throughout the city and even in Meridian on occasion.

Boise has several national and international corporate headquarters, three are on the current Fortune 500 list, and a tech corridor downtown which adds to the business climate in the city. The airport is growing and often adding new flights including major direct flights and in turn the hotel and convention business is booming.

It definitely "punches above its weight".

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 10-10-2021 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-10-2021, 06:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Boise is another example of growth that was certainly there before the pandemic, but increasing because of it. My theory is many in Seattle, Portland, and California are looking for safer, more affordable places to live. My current location, TriCities WA is also a benefactor of this population increase. This is a major sea change from big cities to smaller. The media has ignored this, but it is real.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:10 PM

859 posts, read 695,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
I think Asheville NC could definitely count. It's quite well-known.

Albuquerque also counts

Richmond VA, Charleston SC, etc.
Might take that back for Asheville. Doesn't even fly to the west coast

otherwise Hartford is definitely semi-major. On the lower end of the spectrum though.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:00 PM

824 posts, read 712,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Boise is another example of growth that was certainly there before the pandemic, but increasing because of it. My theory is many in Seattle, Portland, and California are looking for safer, more affordable places to live. My current location, TriCities WA is also a benefactor of this population increase. This is a major sea change from big cities to smaller. The media has ignored this, but it is real.
The media has been ignoring it because even if a lot of people are leaving, even more people are coming in. Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland all grew a lot this past decade. Los Angeles is still growing but is becoming pretty sluggish compared with numbers in the past.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:09 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
The media has been ignoring it because even if a lot of people are leaving, even more people are coming in. Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland all grew a lot this past decade. Los Angeles is still growing but is becoming pretty sluggish compared with numbers in the past.
The media hasn't been ignoring Boise's growth but has the Tri Cities.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:23 PM

824 posts, read 712,444 times
Also, I notice a lot of people holding Des Moines up as a place that punches way above its weight in terms of feel. But honestly, maybe on paper it does, and the Downtown area is nice, places like Omaha still feel a lot larger, even if the gap has shrunk size-wise between the two areas.

A big factor in that is that Des Moines lacks focal points outside of the Downtown, where Omaha has a midtown, and areas like Benson really surpass any older business district in Des Moines. There has been a lot of investment in the Drake Neighborhood of Des Moines, and it has recently been really built up, but it still really isn't a destination for anyone outside the neighborhood.

Des Moines as for right now, basically only has Downtown and the Ingersoll/grand strip that extends westward of it, and the suburban Jordan Creek area in WDM as metro focal points.

Des Moines definitely doesn't feel smaller than a 700k metro but I don't think it feels larger.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The media hasn't been ignoring Boise's growth but has the Tri Cities.
I would agree with that. The Tri Cities has been exploding with population but it rarely is pointed out in the media. Boise is just a bit more “cool” so it obviously will get more attention.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:09 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
The key words in your comment are "this past decade." The numbers we see from the Census Bureau cover the period up to April 1, 2020. What they don't cover is how people have reacted to COVID and to last summer's rioting and the ongoing increase in lawlessness. It remains to be seen whether last decade's growth in Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland will continue or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.