Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 05:06 PM

128 posts, read 71,905 times

Advertisements

Based on history and the census bureau it would be either Wheeling, WV or Wilmington, DE. Wheeling is slightly further north but closer to the Midwest. However based on cultural divisions today I think I would consider Raleigh to be the Northernmost Southern city. I feel like although definitely southern, Kentucky has cultural ties to the Midwest. I think Virginia, Maryland, DC, and Delaware all have southern characteristics but currently fit a more Mid-Atlantic definition. Raleigh is firmly in the in a southern state with influences from southern Virginia, Tennessee, and South Carolina. Not mention it is relatively close to Atlanta which is one of the largest cities in the south. I don't understand how people consider Richmond the furthest North City without including Alexandria or even DC itself. Although Richmond was capital of the confederate states during the civil war, Northern Virginia were also strong components of the war. Robert E lee himself was from Northern Virginia. The two areas have very similar characteristics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 06:30 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Huh? Atlanta is Southern. It’s the Capital of the American South.
If DC can claim to be northern based on diversity, number of transplants, progressive culture, and liberal voting habits then Atlanta might as well be considered northern too. I'm just using the same criteria they are. Hell, Miami even tries to crawl out of being considered southern so why not ATL too?

Old 01-08-2022, 06:38 PM

10,208 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Several from east to west.....

Richmond, Virginia
Charleston or Huntington, West Virginia
Louisville, Kentucky
Bentonville-Springdale, Arkansas

I don't consider Wheeling, WV to be a Southern city. West Virginia isn't entirely in the South and the Wheeling area particular is culturally very Northern. Wheeling is in fact almost as far north as New York, well above the Mason Dixon Line, and is about the same latitude as Pittsburgh.

I don't consider any of Kansas to be Southern. Missouri overall is Midwest too.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:59 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
What is the northernmost culturally southern city?
Culturally? West Palm Beach/Fort Lauderdale. It’s almost literally a sixth borough of NYC.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:59 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Culturally? West Palm Beach/Fort Lauderdale. It’s almost literally a sixth borough of NYC.
You read the question backwards... not the southernmost culturally northern city, the other way around.

I agree with the others above who said Baltimore. One of my weird quirks (and there are *many*) is collecting old cookbooks, and I have one called "Some Favorite Southern Recipes of the Duchess of Windsor". She's the one for whom King Edward VIII gave up the throne in 1936... and she was from Baltimore.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:22 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,400 times
I'd say Louisville. I don't consider Baltimore or Cincinnati to be culturally southern.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:34 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Alexandria Va.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:59 AM

128 posts, read 71,905 times
I'm glad that someone agrees with Alexandria, Va as being one of the northern most southern city instead of always drawing the line at Richmond. Baltimore and Wilmington should definitely being considered northernmost southern cities if you are going to include Alexandria. Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia are very similar culturally. They all have large African American communities, similar cuisine, similar history and similar architecture. I highly doubt that anyone from Alexandria would go to Wilmington DE and feel like they have entered another region. That feeling does not become more apparent until you get to Philadelphia.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Dover, DE
No one agrees with me on Dover?

Old 01-09-2022, 12:50 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
I'm glad that someone agrees with Alexandria, Va as being one of the northern most southern city instead of always drawing the line at Richmond. Baltimore and Wilmington should definitely being considered northernmost southern cities if you are going to include Alexandria. Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia are very similar culturally. They all have large African American communities, similar cuisine, similar history and similar architecture. I highly doubt that anyone from Alexandria would go to Wilmington DE and feel like they have entered another region. That feeling does not become more apparent until you get to Philadelphia.
The issue is there is a LOT of disparity within the 3 states.

Eastern Shore, MD for example might as well be SC culturally. Where as Baltimore (proper) could fill in for Philly or Trenton and nobody would bat the slightest eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.