Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,161 times

Advertisements

Hi

I hope you’re having a nice day

I’ve read through some old (and newer) posts here and gotten some ideas but a lot of the useful posts I found are over 5 years old and I feel like towns and cities can change a lot in that time, so figured I’d post a fresh question and see if I can get help from you guys.

I will be working from home so the job market in a new place isn’t paramount, but here are some of the big things I want to leave behind in NYC:
- the level of hustle
- super expensive rent for ****ty, small place to live
- 6-month dark, cold, grey winter
- 70000000 people everywhere you go

This is what I’m most looking for where I’m going:

* Warm weather/very mild winters/LOTS of sunny days - ideally rarely below 40 and more than 200+ days of sunshine. I personally like humidity, as it is good for my skin and hair, so that’s not a deterring factor for me. But I suffer of really bad depression during the dark winter months and spending half the year in that headspace is something I desperately need to change.

* Love a water feature - beach, lake or rivers nearby/accessible would be glorious. I do want to caveat that I’d like to stay away of hugely known natural disaster zones (I realise with climate change almost everywhere is, but…).

* Progressive/Liberal, diverse population - This one is non-negotiable for me. I am at the intersection of several minorities and I’m a woman and need to go somewhere where I can find like-minded people who care about fellow humans - despite apparent differences -, who support women’s choice to do what they want with their bodies, etc. Paramount, also, somewhere where most people aren’t bringing guns to restaurants. This one is a hard one because, for me, it won’t be enough just for the small city/town where I live to be progressive but I need to know that the legislation is at least purpley/blue (or trending that way). That women have access to care and abortions without having to go to a different state or hide to avoid being sued for doing it (?!!). Like I can’t do TX or FL unless any of you have experience living in a pocket in a state like that and found that it didn’t make you want to die, constantly.

* Ideally ET/CT - because of my work it would be best to stay on the east coast. The number one place I thought of to move when I first decided to leave NY was San Diego, but I’m trying to see what else is out there, on this coast, as an option. I have lived in northern California and visited southern cities, so I’m familiar with how CA fits a lot of my needs, but I’m here to find out from people who have found these things somewhere else (hopefully!). Still willing to hear about other timezones, just to have the info, but it really would be best to stay in CT/ET, if possible.

I’m currently looking at North Carolina, specifically around Raleigh/Durham.
Edit to add: I’m in my 30s and single, if that makes any difference to your suggestions.

Thank you for reading and for your potential help! I look forward to hearing your insights

Last edited by NSMintheUS; 01-22-2022 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: Adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 05:26 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,864,802 times
St Petersburg Florida

Coming from someone relatively like-minded, St Pete was a surprising change of pace, very unlike Florida’s reputation of being uh, Florida man, or Miami. Pretty liberal there, a bit more walkable, and it’s on a peninsula on another peninsula, so it’s hard to get more water than that.

St Pete would be where I’d go if I wanted to live close to my Floridian family members.

Miami would also work but could be considered too crowded and expensive for you

Old 01-22-2022, 12:36 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,212,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
St Petersburg Florida

Coming from someone relatively like-minded, St Pete was a surprising change of pace, very unlike Florida’s reputation of being uh, Florida man, or Miami. Pretty liberal there, a bit more walkable, and it’s on a peninsula on another peninsula, so it’s hard to get more water than that.

St Pete would be where I’d go if I wanted to live close to my Floridian family members.

Florida is trending red at the state level and the state government has already started doing stuff not to OP's liking. Perhaps Georgia or NC makes more sense.
Asheville is pretty nice in my opinion and it seems to check most of her boxes.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:03 PM

2,381 posts, read 2,364,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
St Petersburg Florida

I agree, St. Petersburg would be ideal. Even if the OP isn’t a huge fan of Florida, it’s worth remembering St. Pete has 6 miles of water separating it from the mainland.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:02 PM

32 posts, read 21,549 times
Boston fits most of this except for the warm part.
-water feature
-not as hustle and bustle
-not as crowded
-East coast
-Progressive
-Diverse
x - warm

Most NYC natives I meet hate Boston with a burning passion though but its a nice place.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:05 PM

12,241 posts, read 8,163,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazbrah View Post
Boston fits most of this except for the warm part.
-water feature
-not as hustle and bustle
-not as crowded
-East coast
-Progressive
-Diverse
x - warm

Most NYC natives I meet hate Boston with a burning passion though but its a nice place.
New Yorkers are a dish it cant take it kind of people. (I live 10 mins from staten island) But every New Yorker hates Boston until they visit. Then they love it.

However, Boston makes less sense for OPs parameters. I would go south of VA border.

One suggestion is Raleigh. I think other great ones are Greenville SC, Savannah/Hilton Head, Orlando.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:11 PM

94,185 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New Yorkers are a dish it cant take it kind of people. (I live 10 mins from staten island) But every New Yorker hates Boston until they visit. Then they love it.

However, Boston makes less sense for OPs parameters. I would go south of VA border.

One suggestion is Raleigh. I think other great ones are Greenville SC, Savannah/Hilton Head, Orlando.
Doesn't fit the Progressive/"Liberal" criteria. Probably the same for the 2 after it as well.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:15 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,864,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Florida is trending red at the state level and the state government has already started doing stuff not to OP's liking. Perhaps Georgia or NC makes more sense.
Asheville is pretty nice in my opinion and it seems to check most of her boxes.

The liberal parts of those states are closer to the mountains more so than any significant body of water. They have plenty of conservative areas however near the coast. But I don't think that's what the OP wants.

St Pete is closer to an "Austin in Texas" analogy.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:06 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,425,311 times
Thought the Boston vs New York thing was sports related

Old 01-23-2022, 11:22 AM

10,130 posts, read 14,564,229 times
I would recommend the Miami area as a first option.

Second and third would be the Atlanta metro or the Virginia Beach area.

Also, take a look at the GA coast or the NC coast, which is seems like you are checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.