Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 12:01 AM

643 posts, read 354,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDlife View Post
There’s no way that the black population in the US is only 13.8% I think they are artificially keeping the numbers low to retain minority status. Please take a look at the racial makeup of schools in the US. Fake population numbers say that blacks make up around 20% of my population. Schools are like 70% black, HTF does that work? This was the same way in Ohio as well. I think black population has to be at least 30%.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...ck-population/
You must live in an area with high black population.

I can tell you there are many places where you hardly see black people. The United States is no more than 13.5 % black. In fact relative to other groups the black population might be declining. Other larger minority groups like Asians and Hispanics are far outpacing African Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 01:30 AM

2,662 posts, read 2,118,661 times

Here we go again.

Apply for a census job and return within a year on this board after your travels.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:21 AM

93,804 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The black population of the US is nowhere near 30% and never has been.
Yeah, the highest percentage in an official census has been 19.3% in 1790. I can see 16% or so, but not 30%.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:36 AM

506 posts, read 480,575 times
This article from The Guardian talks about this issue:

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...mistakes-count

The black population has been undercounted for decades. There are a number of reasons why, which the article above addresses. Some of the more common, recent reasons include:

-Some black people, especially in the rural south, live in hard to reach places

-Homeless people are difficult to find/count

-Many black people don't trust the government and don't give over information

True, many of those reasons apply to other races as well, but the article states that the Census more often misses black people while counting some white people twice (3%). So even with a little miscounting, the white population average is likely more accurate than the black population number.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:11 AM

32,690 posts, read 48,227,692 times
All you are seeing is that you live in an area that is a popular place to live for the black community,. Perhaps your local black population really is 30%. But the population figures are for country wide and there are areas of this country that are not popular places to live for the black community. Few blacks here and many blacks there, it all averages out to get a percentage for the entire country that is well under 30%,

As for the schools, is it possible that the black population averages more children per family? (I have no idea about average number of children if you separate the figures out for race)

Old 02-19-2022, 10:01 AM

824 posts, read 717,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’d figure the US is prolly more like 15 percent black. But that’s about it.
I agree at most there is probably a 1.5% discrepancy and even that would be a lot. I’d also agree that the racial categories are very arbitrary. Even looking outside of latino and middle-eastern populations, places like Fall River and New Bedford have some of the highest “other” racial listings because a lot of Portuguese Americans don’t think of themselves as white in the traditional sense.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:10 AM

12,195 posts, read 8,091,861 times
Eyeballing it. I would say the US is about 15% black. Nowhere near 30%. But could be undercounted a bit. Wouldnt shock me.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:33 AM

16,135 posts, read 10,811,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDlife View Post
There’s no way that the black population in the US is only 13.8% I think they are artificially keeping the numbers low to retain minority status.
Foolishness.
Who is "they" and what motivation would "they" have?
My state has under 3% Black and we have many private academies along with public schools with probably none representing a cross-section of the state population.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:50 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
Why are these conspiracies being posted now? This is incomprehensible.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:54 AM

828 posts, read 695,854 times
This idea has been debunked. The Obama's had the same suspicion, so when the Obama administration did their census count, they were very meticulous about getting an accurate black count. They came up with just about the same percentage that all of the previous census takers came up with, which is around 14%. The truth is that the black minority just punches above their weight in American culture. They are disproportionally over represented in areas like popular culture (movies, sports etc) so it can appear as though there are more than there actually are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.