Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 10:55 AM

6,516 posts, read 7,569,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Morgan Wallen is #1
Unlike the others you mentioned, never heard this guy or this song until you brought it up. It doesn't play on any of the top 40 stations in San Diego, CA. It does, however, appear on the playlist of our one and only country station.

Sounds like Nickelback type music to me with a little more twang . Must be really popular in the middle of the country to be #1 but not get much radio play here in SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 11:03 AM

12,891 posts, read 9,632,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Unlike the others you mentioned, never heard this guy or this song until you brought it up. It doesn't play on any of the top 40 stations in San Diego, CA. It does, however, appear on the playlist of our one and only country station.

Sounds like Nickelback type music to me with a little more twang . Must be really popular in the middle of the country to be #1 but not get much radio play here in SoCal.
I wouldn't describe Miley as an "it" girl either.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:06 AM

37,272 posts, read 39,566,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, they're really not that different, except that most people do have more wealth than they used to. Pretty much across the board.

But don't take my word for it:
https://www.stlouisfed.org/en/open-v...key-statistics
https://www.federalreserve.gov/econr...viz/scf/chart/
Your first link which does actually have a graph on wealth gaps by age historically (the second doesn't have that as it's just the overall median household without respect to age or era). In there you can see that even in the short time segment starting from 1989, there has been overall substantial widening of the gap with 1989 being the earliest year.

1989:

$27,000 median from 25-39 year old respondents
$174,000 median from 65-75 year old respondents
Difference of $147,000
6.44x

2019:

$24,000 median from 25-39 year old respondents
$269,000 median from 65-75 year old respondents
Difference of $249,000
10.38x

The difference is very substantial. No, they're actually really different. Your own link shows that. It also doesn't mention cost differences in some basic things like housing expenses and education debt load which are much worse now with younger people more likely to be in rental situations and higher education debt load which were things that the previous generations were less likely to deal with since a summer job can potentially pay for a year's worth of college tuition but which is a ridiculous prospect today for the most part. It seems odd that you are posting links so directly contradictory to what you were seeking to argue.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:07 AM

37,272 posts, read 39,566,906 times
I think Philadelphia seems to be having a moment with the younger people. A spate of pretty popular shows and a lot of people moving there as an urban city that isn't as costly and hard to set up in as NYC. Just an all around stellar place.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:09 AM

1,067 posts, read 589,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
From the OP:

I actually don't think we have an "it" city right now. The old model was one where you uprooted and physically moved to the desired "it" location. That model assumes that people have the resources to do that and therein lies the problem. The wasting away of the middleclass since the 1980s coupled with the huge college debt burden on the younger and more mobile generations has led more people to other types of fulfillments. I actually cannot think of a single place in the US that is so "cool" that everyone wants to live or visit there.

Besides being costly, cities are plagued with problems that they cannot solve on their own. Homelessness is not solvable on the city level. Cities didn't cause the problem and they can't solve it. Their efforts are ineffectual deck-chair rearrangements, moving homeless from one place to another but not gaining any improvement.

The ability to work from home has made it possible for some to live in smaller and less costly towns or suburban communities. In that smaller environment a certain level of "it" can be created. That sometimes amounts to gentrification or a commercial renaissance that creates a certain vibe. That may or may not be sustainable without at least one strong economic generator -- a university or some other stable and permanent industry or institution.
I like your way of thinking.

Manhattan has lost its sheen and cool factor. From the buzz you’d think Miami is the newest pop culture Mecca (it’s not.) that everyone is flocking to. L.A has always been a powerful entertainment hub but is it the It city? I don’t think so.

Personally I’m not investing in any individual U.S city, they all have their own strength and weakness.

Remote work does shift a lot of power re-distribution among the U.S cities.

The concept of It is very early Aughts isn’t it?

Old 06-06-2023, 11:15 AM

12,891 posts, read 9,632,333 times
To me, two ways we can qualify. If he you had all the money in the world, where would you live? To me, that's one of the coastal cities, imo.

Another way, what is the hottest city right now? That could be subjective. Nashville?

Old 06-06-2023, 11:15 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,494,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I like your way of thinking.

Manhattan has lost its sheen and cool factor. From the buzz you’d think Miami is the newest pop culture Mecca (it’s not.) that everyone is flocking to. L.A has always been a powerful entertainment hub but is it the It city? I don’t think so.

Personally I’m not investing in any individual U.S city, they all have their own strength and weakness.

Remote work does shift a lot of power re-distribution among the U.S cities.

The concept of It is very early Aughts isn’t it?
Maybe it's just my age, but everyone I know is moving back where they came from in their early 30s. But I also don't hear from Gen Z some overwhelming desire to live in X City.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:26 AM

6,516 posts, read 7,569,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I wouldn't describe Miley as an "it" girl either.
True, but young adults, teens and tweens know Miley and Taylor. I doubt many of them know this Morgan guy.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:29 AM

8,553 posts, read 4,791,254 times
Austin. Which I don’t really understand, but it’s the place people really want to move to these days.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:31 AM

374 posts, read 261,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I think Austin. Just based on how it's growing, how it's job industry has grown, the types of developments there. However, Austin has been an "it' city for some time now, but it feels more like one now more than ever.

Yeah, I agree. It's a lot of hype that can't be lived up to. I would imagine most moving there are left pretty disappointed. For having a population in the metro similar to Las Vegas, it certainly doesn't offer NEAR the same experience. And it's also in the same state as DFW and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.