Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 07:36 AM

9,981 posts, read 6,689,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Also not sure how houston is more welcoming to international people and why that would make it more liberal? It has more international people, yes. But those people can be conservative, hence why Biden got less than 50% of the votes
To be clear, Biden got more votes than Trump in Houston and DFW. The 49.9% takes into account third parties.

Nonetheless, that’s still relatively conservative for large metros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 07:40 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,660,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
None of what I said are anecdotes. These are actual policies the city of Austin passed and what the city of Austin voted on. Everything I mentioned is factually a consequence of actions the city of Austin did. Don’t know how you can deny it. Also notice how I never said outright that Austin is less liberal than Dallas/Houston, just that there actually are a few areas where Dallas/Houston are ahead. I stated that Austin is not as liberal as coastal big cities and Chicago despite the fact that they might vote blue at a similar clip. If you think voting blue always translates into liberal be my guest but that would be questionable. The Austin area is liberal for Texas but to suggest that the place would be “unwelcoming” to conservatives (which was your original argument by the way) when places like Williamson County exist is just questionable. If you vote for Biden then vote on things like homeless encampment bans and policies that push out black and brown communities then I’ll definitely start to question how liberal you are despite the fact that you vote democrat. If you vote for Biden but are not able to get any more than 1 minority mayor into office since 1983 then I’ll definitely start questioning inclusivity. Voting democrat doesn’t always mean being liberal.
California cities are banning homeless camps. It’s a safety issue. Let me guess, houston is every bit as liberal as LA!!!!

I for one find it refreshing that houston and Dallas are still moderate to conservative strongholds, at least among major metros. It’s needed

Being liberal is not necessarily a good thing.

Are we arguing that liberals don’t vote for democrats though? Is that what you’re leaning on ? Lol.

https://calmatters.org/housing/2023/...ess-city-laws/

Old 06-12-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
To be clear, Biden got more votes than Trump in Houston and DFW. The 49.9% takes into account third parties.

Nonetheless, that’s still relatively conservative for large metros
He did. Correct

Old 06-12-2023, 07:46 AM

https://komonews.com/news/local/port...nia-encampment Portland is also considering a homeless encampment ban. It’s becoming an issue. No, Houston is not more liberal than Portland now. Sorry bub

This may be the only place where Houston could even be considered to be more liberal tha. Austin

Old 06-12-2023, 07:57 AM

874 posts, read 472,311 times
Quote:
California cities are banning homeless camps. It’s a safety issue. Let me guess, houston is every bit as liberal as LA!!!!

I for one find it refreshing that houston and Dallas are still moderate to conservative strongholds, at least among major metros. It’s needed
If only you knew how to read then you would see that I specifically stated that I never said Houston/Dallas was more liberal than Austin. I only stated that they are ahead in a few progressive aspects and that Austin is not as liberal as major coastal big cities and Chicago despite closer voting records. I also specifically said it’s not necessarily a bad thing either, granted the response was not to you.

Quote:
Also notice how I never said outright that Austin is less liberal than Dallas/Houston, just that there actually are a few areas where Dallas/Houston are ahead. I stated that Austin is not as liberal as coastal big cities and Chicago despite the fact that they might vote blue at a similar clip.

Quote:

Are we arguing that liberals don’t vote for democrats though? Is that what you’re leaning on ? Lol.
No actually the opposite lol. Learn to read. Sure almost all liberal voters will vote democrat but not all democratic voters are fundamentally liberal. There’s a difference.

Quote:
Most of this is specific to Sacramento but for the one part that does mention LA, these are the key words:

Quote:

passed ordinances in the past three years to target behavior such as setting up tents near schools and other buildings, blocking sidewalks or even camping at all when shelter is available.
This is very different from what Austin did. Austin outright banned homelessness regardless of whether there was shelter or other places to go.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:00 AM

2,255 posts, read 1,425,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I agree that having a healthy amount of moderates is a good thing as well. The conservative state government doesn’t necessarily apply here though since everything I mentioned is a result of actions the city of Austin took, not the state of Texas. This is what Austin voted for and what Austin decided. I agree that the large city limits might have played a role but then again you could say that about a lot of cities with larger city limits. Dallas could easily say that areas like Far North Dallas get a significant role in city politics as well and that conservatives don’t necessarily live among the central parts of the city either but that doesn’t make either of the regions “unwelcoming” to conservatives. Also “welcoming” probably wasn’t the best choice of words so I apologize for that, but I was trying to say that Austin isn’t the most minority friendly city in Texas. That is Houston. Austin isn’t the most LGBTQ+ friendly city in Texas either. That would be Dallas. My point is that just because a place like Austin and Chicago vote at the same clip for Biden doesn’t mean they’re equally liberal though, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing either.
Houston is more international because it is the global HQ of the energy industry. I don't see evidence that it's "more welcoming" beyond it simply having larger existing immigrant groups (because it is a much larger and more international city). I don't get what this has to do with progressive politics. Austin is the only Texas city that has a decades long track record of environmentalism. Where is that in progressive Houston? Travis county has been progressive dating back to the 19th century when it voted against secession. (Harris county voted 90% in favor by the way.).

Same goes for LGBT in Dallas for that matter. In what way is Austin less progressive as far as LGBT goes? It lacks the LGBT neighborhood that Dallas has mainly because for many years now LGBT live and hang out throughout the entire city. Not to say that Dallas or Houston aren't friendly to LGBT; at this point I don't see that being a big issue in any major US cities.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Houston is more international because it is the global HQ of the energy industry. I don't see evidence that it's "more welcoming" beyond it simply having larger existing immigrant groups (because it is a much larger and more international city). I don't get what this has to do with progressive politics. Austin is the only Texas city that has a decades long track record of environmentalism. Where is that in progressive Houston? Travis county has been progressive dating back to the 19th century when it voted against secession. (Harris county voted 90% in favor by the way.).

Same goes for LGBT in Dallas for that matter. In what way is Austin less progressive as far as LGBT goes? It lacks the LGBT neighborhood that Dallas has mainly because for many years now LGBT live and hang out throughout the entire city. Not to say that Dallas or Houston aren't friendly to LGBT; at this point I don't see that being a big issue in any major US cities.
Yea I’m pretty sure even cities in the Deep South have gay parades and neighborhoods

Back to the homeless deal. Austin, coincidentally, like the coastal cities, has a bigger homeless problem than houston. Happy to pull the numbers.

Only on CD is Dallas and houston considered more liberal than Austin and voting democrat is actually a conservative move.

Austin still have the bag ban?

Old 06-12-2023, 08:23 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...d/11024116002/

Ny post article on Austin’s wokeness

https://nypost.com/2023/03/14/woke-a...-at-parks/amp/

Old 06-12-2023, 08:29 AM

2,255 posts, read 1,425,021 times
Quote:
Yea I’m pretty sure even cities in the Deep South have gay parades and neighborhoods

Back to the homeless deal. Austin, coincidentally, like the coastal cities, has a bigger homeless problem than houston. Happy to pull the numbers.

Only on CD is Dallas and houston considered more liberal than Austin and voting democrat is actually a conservative move.

I'm not exactly sure how the law works (it's possible that the state overturned it?) but you don't often see disposable plastic bags. HEB makes you buy the thicker "re-usable" plastic bags (which is kind of annoying TBH), while Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Central Market, etc use paper bags.

Austin's main problem with the homeless is yet another "outgrown the infrastructure" situation: they need more shelter capacity given the increasingly larger population. Unfortunately, the standard progressive groupthink is that shelters are bad and we should buy the homeless permanent one bedroom apartments instead, and it turns out that is ridiculously expensive and slow to implement. Being "progressive" does not automatically mean being more intelligent.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:39 AM

874 posts, read 472,311 times
Quote:

Lol if only you could read you would know that’s not the point I made. No need for me to continue trying, though. Austin does not have the bag ban anymore though. They stopped enforcement 5 years ago because of the Texas Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.