Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 12:21 AM

6,440 posts, read 5,095,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Detroit can get there too if they could get their public transportation at least to Buffalo level. ... Buffalo (and Milwaukee) would be my bets for this region in the 1-2 million department.
Buffalo is definitely a place I'll be watching. The city population is growing at a solid clip now (6.5% from 2010-20), and it seems to have the ingredients of a trendy growing place: light rail, burgeoning tech scene, solid non-dilapidated neighborhoods near downtown, and it's a low-COL market close to a high-COL market (NYC). I've known (tangentially) at least two NYCers who moved out there in the past decade.

Milwaukee is weird. It feels like it should be growing more than it is. It's pretty intact for a Rust Belt city, close to Chicago which has had tons of people leaving it for decades (until recently, being resupplied by people moving in), huge beer scene, many solid walkable neighborhoods. I'm wondering if the lack of a major university in town is hindering the growth of a white-collar job market there (especially because Madison is becoming a major city in its own right, so there's less incentive for UW graduates to leave).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 11:34 AM

94,172 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Buffalo is definitely a place I'll be watching. The city population is growing at a solid clip now (6.5% from 2010-20), and it seems to have the ingredients of a trendy growing place: light rail, burgeoning tech scene, solid non-dilapidated neighborhoods near downtown, and it's a low-COL market close to a high-COL market (NYC). I've known (tangentially) at least two NYCers who moved out there in the past decade.

Milwaukee is weird. It feels like it should be growing more than it is. It's pretty intact for a Rust Belt city, close to Chicago which has had tons of people leaving it for decades (until recently, being resupplied by people moving in), huge beer scene, many solid walkable neighborhoods. I'm wondering if the lack of a major university in town is hindering the growth of a white-collar job market there (especially because Madison is becoming a major city in its own right, so there's less incentive for UW graduates to leave).
Buffalo is actually closer to Toronto than NYC, but the benefit of being close to a major market is still there.

Old 06-11-2023, 03:26 PM

907 posts, read 491,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Save Austin, New Orleans and Raleigh, a conservative every southern city will welcome conservatives.
Lol what. There are plenty of conservatives in the Austin area that get by just fine. Austin is not the Bay Area or Boston or Seattle.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:38 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,697,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Lol what. There are plenty of conservatives in the Austin area that get by just fine. Austin is not the Bay Area or Boston or Seattle.
Conservatives everywhere. Lots of different numbers, but Biden's vote share by metro, according to this:

Seattle:66.9
Austin: 62.4
Dallas: 49.9
Houston:49.9

Despite being "less diverse," Austin and Seattle are far more liberal metros. And yep, Biden actually got less than half in the two largest Texas metros.

Other areas of note:

Columbia, SC : 52
Atlanta, GA: 57.1
Boston, MA: 67%
DC: 72%
LA: 66.4%
SF: 78%

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-2020-election

Old 06-11-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Conservatives everywhere. Lots of different numbers, but Biden's vote share by metro, according to this:

Seattle:66.9
Austin: 62.4
Dallas: 49.9
Houston:49.9

Despite being "less diverse," Austin and Seattle are far more liberal metros. And yep, Biden actually got less than half in the two largest Texas metros.

Other areas of note:

Columbia, SC : 52
Atlanta, GA: 57.1
Boston, MA: 67%
DC: 72%
LA: 66.4%
SF: 78%

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-2020-election
None of this makes Austin “unwelcoming” to conservatives. A conservative would do fine in most MSAs in the country, and Austin is one of them. In fact most Californians who are moving to the area are conservative too. Also, voting blue doesn’t necessarily 100% translate into liberal. Austin has a lot of “pseudo-liberals” who come off as liberal and will reliably vote blue and wave things like pride flags, yet the city passes homeless encampment bans and poorly treats unhoused communities, is less diverse than its surrounding cities, has a city culture that caters primarily to a specific demographic, has zoned a large majority of the city for single family housing, has larger minimum lot size requirements, has elected 1 minority mayor since 1983, is more segregated than surrounding cities, has more NIMBYs, etc. Austin isn’t the most welcoming city to minorities and international communities in Texas (that’s Houston). Austin isn’t the most welcoming city in Texas to the LGBT+ community (that’s Dallas). Austin also doesn’t do well with building affordable housing either compared to other cities in the state. By no means am I saying Austin is conservative but functionally speaking it’s not as liberal as a city like Chicago, NYC, DC, etc. for example even if the voting records are similar. A conservative would be fine in Austin.

Last edited by DaBears02; 06-11-2023 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-11-2023, 08:48 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,437,665 times
Quote:
None of this makes Austin “unwelcoming” to conservatives. A conservative would do fine in most MSAs in the country, and Austin is one of them. In fact most Californians who are moving to the area are conservative too. Also, voting blue doesn’t necessarily 100% translate into liberal. Austin has a lot of “pseudo-liberals” who come off as liberal and will reliably vote blue and wave things like pride flags, yet the city passes homeless encampment bans and poorly treats unhoused communities, is less diverse than its surrounding cities, has a city culture that caters primarily to a specific demographic, has zoned a large majority of the city for single family housing, has larger minimum lot size requirements, has elected 1 minority mayor since 1983, is more segregated than surrounding cities, has more NIMBYs, etc. Austin isn’t the most welcoming city to minorities and international communities in Texas (that’s Houston). Austin isn’t the most welcoming city in Texas to the LGBT+ community (that’s Dallas). Austin also doesn’t do well with building affordable housing either compared to other cities in the state. By no means am I saying Austin is conservative but functionally speaking it’s not as liberal as a city like Chicago, NYC, DC, etc. for example even if the voting records are similar. A conservative would be fine in Austin.
If you look at actual statistics the people in Austin are comparably liberal to Seattle, Chicago, NYC.. it can't execute the same policies because the state government is conservative and the city limits are much larger relative to the population (and therefore suburban voters get a significant voice in city politics). Nobody who has lived in DFW or Houston and also Austin thinks that Austin is less liberal than these other Texas cities. It's not particularly close.

As far as "welcoming" I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. I will say that I don't know many conservatives who elect to live in Austin, particularly in the central parts of the city. Of course there are a decent number of moderate liberals, and I'm thinkful for that.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
If you look at actual statistics the people in Austin are comparably liberal to Seattle, Chicago, NYC.. it can't execute the same policies because the state government is conservative and the city limits are much larger relative to the population (and therefore suburban voters get a significant voice in city politics). Nobody who has lived in DFW or Houston and also Austin thinks that Austin is less liberal than these other Texas cities. It's not particularly close.

As far as "welcoming" I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. I will say that I don't know many conservatives who elect to live in Austin, particularly in the central parts of the city. Of course there are a decent number of moderate liberals, and I'm thinkful for that.
I agree that having a healthy amount of moderates is a good thing as well. The conservative state government doesn’t necessarily apply here though since everything I mentioned is a result of actions the city of Austin took, not the state of Texas. This is what Austin voted for and what Austin decided. I agree that the large city limits might have played a role but then again you could say that about a lot of cities with larger city limits. Dallas could easily say that areas like Far North Dallas get a significant role in city politics as well and that conservatives don’t necessarily live among the central parts of the city either but that doesn’t make either of the regions “unwelcoming” to conservatives. Also “welcoming” probably wasn’t the best choice of words so I apologize for that, but I was trying to say that Austin isn’t the most minority friendly city in Texas. That is Houston. Austin isn’t the most LGBTQ+ friendly city in Texas either. That would be Dallas. My point is that just because a place like Austin and Chicago vote at the same clip for Biden doesn’t mean they’re equally liberal though, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing either.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Minorities can be conservative. As you can see, houston is far more diverse than Austin yet a lot more conservative. Not sure where you’re going with “they may vote democrat but they ain’t liberal”. Voting democrat is much more telling than just wondering into a lgbt parade to see what’s happening.

Yes I agree people that leave California are conservative but they tend to love to Dallas and houston, no? You can cite antecdotes all you want, I’ve got the actual data. Austin trounces Houston and Dallas as far as liberalism.

COL is irrelevant. Seattle and SF housing are 3x Houston

Old 06-12-2023, 06:59 AM

Also not sure how houston is more welcoming to international people and why that would make it more liberal? It has more international people, yes. But those people can be conservative, hence why Biden got less than 50% of the votes

Old 06-12-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Minorities can be conservative. As you can see, houston is far more diverse than Austin yet a lot more conservative. Not sure where you’re going with “they may vote democrat but they ain’t liberal”. Voting democrat is much more telling than just wondering into a lgbt parade to see what’s happening.

Yes I agree people that leave California are conservative but they tend to love to Dallas and houston, no? You can cite antecdotes all you want, I’ve got the actual data. Austin trounces Houston and Dallas as far as liberalism.

COL is irrelevant. Seattle and SF housing are 3x Houston
None of what I said are anecdotes. These are actual policies the city of Austin passed and what the city of Austin voted on. Everything I mentioned is factually a consequence of actions the city of Austin did. Don’t know how you can deny it. Also notice how I never said outright that Austin is less liberal than Dallas/Houston, just that there actually are a few areas where Dallas/Houston are ahead. I stated that Austin is not as liberal as coastal big cities and Chicago despite the fact that they might vote blue at a similar clip. If you think voting blue always translates into liberal be my guest but that would be questionable. The Austin area is liberal for Texas but to suggest that the place would be “unwelcoming” to conservatives (which was your original argument by the way) when places like Williamson County exist is just questionable. If you vote for Biden then vote on things like homeless encampment bans and policies that push out black and brown communities then I’ll definitely start to question how liberal you are despite the fact that you vote democrat. If you vote for Biden but are not able to get any more than 1 minority mayor into office since 1983 then I’ll definitely start questioning inclusivity. Voting democrat doesn’t always mean being liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.