Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 11:53 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times

Advertisements

Most "old" American neighborhoods in the East just give a distinctly colonial British vibe. There's fairly little continental European influence.

But of course when you're talking about 20th/21st century buildings, there's a lot of shared architectural language all over the world and even here in downtown D.C. there's streets that wouldn't look out of place in central London, Paris or Berlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 12:49 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
You could find a lot of US neighborhoods that look like these:

https://goo.gl/maps/MCd5mLtsxJih1wiF8
https://goo.gl/maps/QjgVEteoPeag9Jbe8

https://goo.gl/maps/Lhy7RYJThfjL7brUA
kind of briarcliff seattle vibe on the last one

Old 04-05-2022, 01:00 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
You could find a lot of US neighborhoods that look like these:

https://goo.gl/maps/MCd5mLtsxJih1wiF8
https://goo.gl/maps/QjgVEteoPeag9Jbe8

https://goo.gl/maps/Lhy7RYJThfjL7brUA
kind of briarcliff seattle vibe on the last one

You mean houses lined along a road? Yeah I suspect that is pretty common all over the world. Other than that, you can instantly tell from the architecture of the houses that it's in Europe and not the U.S.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:26 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
These places are everywhere across this country. This thread is too broad of a topic. Something more along the lines of "The Most European like neighborhoods in the US" would be more appropriate.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:26 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I can only speak for cities that remind me of England(sorta).

In my opinion:

Newburyport, MA - I couldn't believe a place like this existed in America, it could easily be in England.

Princeton, NJ - I rolled my eyes when someone mentioned this, but when I googled it I was surprised. Parts of it could sorta pass for an upmarket town in England like Tonbridge or Sevenoaks.

Portland, Maine - Somewhat reminds me of parts of Manchester and Northeast England in general.

New Forest, NYC - Kinda, a litte bit. Could maybe pass for a place in outer London like Orpington. Nice surprise when I stumbled upon it.

Phlly - Lots of Philly could fit in England, especially in more working class places in England.

I'm sure there are places in the Southeast USA, but I'm not very familiar with that area of US so can't comment too much.
I love Newburyport as well, it's a wonderful town! Next-door Amesbury is worth a look as well. If you haven't been, definitely check out nearby Portsmouth, NH. It's my favorite in this category, I get major British vibes there.

Old 04-06-2022, 06:50 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
These places are everywhere across this country. This thread is too broad of a topic. Something more along the lines of "The Most European like neighborhoods in the US" would be more appropriate.
I can't say that I'd agree regarding your first statement. The places suggested in this thread are really what already comes closest to European-influenced architecture and/or built environment in the US.

And aside from parts of coastal California, which has some spots that are often compared to the Mediterranean region of Europe, the most European-influenced cities/towns of the US are very overwhelmingly concentrated within 200 miles or so of the Atlantic or Gulf Coast, which is pretty clearly linked to early settlement patterns amongst Europeans as they emigrated to America.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:32 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I love Newburyport as well, it's a wonderful town! Next-door Amesbury is worth a look as well. If you haven't been, definitely check out nearby Portsmouth, NH. It's my favorite in this category, I get major British vibes there.
I lived in Portsmouth for a decade. I’ve been to the UK dozens of times. Other than the immediate waterfront which is old and brick, none of Portsmouth remotely resembles anywhere in the UK.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:19 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I lived in Portsmouth for a decade. I’ve been to the UK dozens of times. Other than the immediate waterfront which is old and brick, none of Portsmouth remotely resembles anywhere in the UK.
I've been to the UK multiple times as well, and I say you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:04 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I can't say that I'd agree regarding your first statement. The places suggested in this thread are really what already comes closest to European-influenced architecture and/or built environment in the US.

And aside from parts of coastal California, which has some spots that are often compared to the Mediterranean region of Europe, the most European-influenced cities/towns of the US are very overwhelmingly concentrated within 200 miles or so of the Atlantic or Gulf Coast, which is pretty clearly linked to early settlement patterns amongst Europeans as they emigrated to America.
Ok so even if it is overwhelmingly within the 200 miles or so on the Atlantic seaboard (and some Gulf Coast) that's still a huge swath encompassing many, many neighborhoods and towns that would qualify. That list could go on and on much moreso than the communities listed in this thread. That was my point.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:01 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Lots of Philly looks like Newcastle or Leeds
No question. I've read several Europeans, esp from England, who feel very "at home" in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.