Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 10:15 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This seems to be a terminology issue. In a localized sense, "coast" usually refers to the land along the open ocean, not inland bays and waterways. (The meaning is different if you're talking about "coastal regions" or in other uses.)
It's both true that Miami's skyline hugs the coast along Biscayne Bay, which becomes much more "open water" south of the MacArthur Causeway. It's also true that Miami's secondary skyline along the beach in Miami Beach (not Miami) is 3+ miles to its east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 01:59 PM

82 posts, read 52,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I think a good rule would be if the people who live there consider their "secondary" city to be a suburb/edge city of the larger city nearby. So, would people in Tysons and Bethesda say their cities are suburbs/edge cities of DC? I'd say yes. Would people in Newark say they live in a suburb/edge city of NYC? I'd say definitely no. Stamford, CT? Maybe. White Plains? Sure.
I don’t see what the real difference is here between Newark and White Plains in this regard, besides city population. Sure, Newark has an older urban core and has its own city identity, and is not a suburb by any means, but in the greater NYC area it’s a secondary city to New York, somewhat similar to how Yonkers is a secondary city to New York. Newark and Jersey City do have an identity unique of NYC for sure but at the same time they are secondary urban centers in the area. It’s hard to really differentiate between what a secondary city is and what a “suburb/edge city” Is

In the greater New York City area, outside of the 4 skylines in the city itself (Midtown/Downtown/Brooklyn/LIC), you have about 10-15 other “skylines”

Jersey City
Newark
New Rochelle
White Plains
Yonkers
Stamford
New Haven
Fort Lee/North Hudson waterfront
Paterson
Bridgeport
Poughkeepsie
New Brunswick
Hackensack
Elizabeth
Waterbury
Passaic
Trenton

Which of these are edge cities/suburbs and which aren’t?

Last edited by GoYanksGiantsNets; 06-02-2022 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-02-2022, 04:06 PM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
For Atlanta it's Buckhead. There's also another skyline in The Perimeter Center/Sandy Springs.

At 0:20 you can see the Perimeter center here, a marta train, with Buckhead in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BdiNKNQEts

There's also a fifth business district Cumberland where the Braves stadium is located and some buildings are going up there. Cumberland has the fifth-most office space behind Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Perimeter Center but it alone has more office space than all of Downtown Miami.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:24 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Not by my numbers. I drew maps on CoStar with similar boundaries and got 17.2 msf for Cumberland and 21.1 msf for Downtown Miami. Every source is different, but CoStar is typically the most complete. Though my maps are guesses.

That said, Buckhead is certainly in my top 10 secondary skylines as well.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:26 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Newark, NJ (NYC)
Bellvue, WA (Seattle)
Rosslyn, VA (DC)
Uptown (Houston)
Clayton, MI (St. Louis)
Tysons, VA (DC)
Towson, MD (Baltimore)
Sunshine, FL (Miami)
Bethesda, MD (DC)
Buckhead (Atlanta)

Probably forgetting a few but those are the largest ones I can think of.
Add Jersey City, and this is the list.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:33 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How does Oakland, St. Paul, and Ft. Worth count if Baltimore doesn't?
No one would dispute the fact that the first three cities actually do have their region's "secondary skyline." But if you think Baltimore's skyline is secondary within its region, then whose is the primary skyline? If you're considering the CSA, DC proper doesn't have a traditional skyline and I wouldn't put any of the NoVA or Montgomery County, MD skylines above Baltimore's.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:12 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This seems to be a terminology issue. In a localized sense, "coast" usually refers to the land along the open ocean, not inland bays and waterways. (The meaning is different if you're talking about "coastal regions" or in other uses.)
Contrary to popular belief, "coastline" does not only refer to land along the ocean. Lakes are rivers qualify as well

Old 06-03-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No one would dispute the fact that the first three cities actually do have their region's "secondary skyline." But if you think Baltimore's skyline is secondary within its region, then whose is the primary skyline? If you're considering the CSA, DC proper doesn't have a traditional skyline and I wouldn't put any of the NoVA or Montgomery County, MD skylines above Baltimore's.
Yeah, no. Baltimore, St. Paul, Oakland, Ft worth.....while not the biggest skyline in the region, locally these aren't though of as secondary, complimentary, or in support of the bigger skyline nearby. They are their own distinct regions with their own suburbs.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
For Atlanta it's Buckhead. There's also another skyline in The Perimeter Center/Sandy Springs.

At 0:20 you can see the Perimeter center here, a marta train, with Buckhead in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BdiNKNQEts

There's also a fifth business district Cumberland where the Braves stadium is located and some buildings are going up there. Cumberland has the fifth-most office space behind Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Perimeter Center but it alone has more office space than all of Downtown Miami.
I would even argue that Midtown is distinctly different than downtown. I giant highway dissects them, one is legacy, the other new and shiny.

But yes, Buckhead has ~22 buildings over 400 ft. That's crazy if you think about it.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:46 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, "coastline" does not only refer to land along the ocean. Lakes are rivers qualify as well

Sure. My original statement was about counting Miami's coast because it was three miles from the core.

The term is ambiguous (more than I alluded), but I thought the point was pretty clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.