Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 11:19 AM

860 posts, read 1,357,223 times

Advertisements

NYC has multiple, but here goes:

Brooklyn
Jersey City
Newark
Oakland
Bellevue, Wa
Century City
Covington, Ky
Rosslyn (Arlington), Va
Clayton, MO
Miami Beach
Saint Petersburgh
Buckhead
Saint Paul
Downtown Las Vegas
Niagara Falls, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 11:52 AM

32 posts, read 21,333 times
When I think of secondary skylines, Atlanta always pops into my head.
There are so many different skylines surrounding the city.

Stamford, as mentioned already, has a nice little skyline to it. I always love passing through it while driving from Boston to NYC

Old 06-03-2022, 12:04 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
I don't consider St. Paul a secondary city but here's a nice view of St. Paul with Mpls in the background.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:34 PM

271 posts, read 294,115 times
Southfield, Michigan?

Old 06-03-2022, 12:50 PM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Not by my numbers. I drew maps on CoStar with similar boundaries and got 17.2 msf for Cumberland and 21.1 msf for Downtown Miami. Every source is different, but CoStar is typically the most complete. Though my maps are guesses.

That said, Buckhead is certainly in my top 10 secondary skylines as well.
https://www.peachtreecre.com/northwe...-office-space/
https://www.brookfieldproperties.com...-mall-248.html

I've seen figures of 24 million square feet of office space for Cumberland.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:56 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Cumberland to Kennesaw apparently, per the first link. That's several miles away.

I used CoStar because it's up-to-the-minute, it's typically the most complete, and it lets you define the specific area.

This illustrates why it's usually a bad idea to compare two areas without much better info...it tends to be apples to kumquats.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
By no means would I call Raleigh's secondary skyline a top ten, but I did take a photo the other weekend where I was surprised to see its Midtown skyline in the distance and beyond the State Capitol building from the vantage point of a highrise apartment amenity deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Top 10 Secondary Skylines-screen-shot-2022-06-03-5.10.18  

Old 06-04-2022, 08:55 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yeah, no. Baltimore, St. Paul, Oakland, Ft worth.....while not the biggest skyline in the region, locally these aren't though of as secondary, complimentary, or in support of the bigger skyline nearby. They are their own distinct regions with their own suburbs.
Within MSAs, St. Paul, Oakland, and Fort Worth would indeed be considered the second-most important cities regionally with the second-largest skylines, at least for those who are being objective about it. At the same time, that doesn't negate the fact that they have their own spheres of influence within the larger metropolitan areas.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:20 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's less than two miles.

There's probably no commonly-agreed upon definition of "secondary skyline," so I've taken a stab at one.
A separate skyline completely distinct from the primary skyline.

Miami doesn't have this. Neither does San Francisco because most people are completely aware that they are looking at a separate city across an ocean bay when they see Oakland. People aren't thinking "wow, this is all.....SAN FRANCISCO!"

Obviously Atlanta, Uptown Houston has a really cool one, as well as Los Angeles. Multiple major skylines popping up in different distinct areas of one city.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:32 AM

151 posts, read 87,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
A separate skyline completely distinct from the primary skyline.

Miami doesn't have this. Neither does San Francisco because most people are completely aware that they are looking at a separate city across an ocean bay when they see Oakland. People aren't thinking "wow, this is all.....SAN FRANCISCO!"

Obviously Atlanta, Uptown Houston has a really cool one, as well as Los Angeles. Multiple major skylines popping up in different distinct areas of one city.
Miami does have another skyline in the city limits! Coconut Grove is a few miles from the core
https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...ppenheimer.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.