Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2022, 09:41 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times

Advertisements

Who knew that you can take a 200 plus mile commute in one ticket. These boys did https://youtu.be/dwF7fYIw2mI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 12:16 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Who knew that you can take a 200 plus mile commute in one ticket. These boys did https://youtu.be/dwF7fYIw2mI
Nice.

I was going to mention the Springfield-New Haven trip on the Hartford Line which is 62 miles then transferring in New Haven to the MNR New Haven Main Line which would be 74 miles and so combined would be longer than the Port Jervis line's 87.5 miles though then I remembered that you have to step out of the station and take non-commuter rail from Grand Central to Penn Station in NYC to move on to the next steps which is no good.

However, there is the 118 mile long Montauk Branch and service that goes from almost the tip of Long Island to Penn Station (with a switch from diesel to electric train at some point) which I think would be longer. I'm trying to think why that might be disqualified.

Either way though, pretty neat!

Old 06-13-2022, 03:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nice.

I was going to mention the Springfield-New Haven trip on the Hartford Line which is 62 miles then transferring in New Haven to the MNR New Haven Main Line which would be 74 miles and so combined would be longer than the Port Jervis line's 87.5 miles though then I remembered that you have to step out of the station and take non-commuter rail from Grand Central to Penn Station in NYC to move on to the next steps which is no good.

However, there is the 118 mile long Montauk Branch and service that goes from almost the tip of Long Island to Penn Station (with a switch from diesel to electric train at some point) which I think would be longer. I'm trying to think why that might be disqualified.

Either way though, pretty neat!
Well I don’t think it is disqualified but 200 miles longer than 118 miles.

I believe you switch at Babylon to get the diesel out to Montauk (might be one more switch, not sure).

There is also the epic Cannonball train

Old 06-13-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well I don’t think it is disqualified but 200 miles longer than 118 miles.

I believe you switch at Babylon to get the diesel out to Montauk (might be one more switch, not sure).

There is also the epic Cannonball train

I should have been more explicit. I meant that as in the comparison for that one segment would be longer, while the the rest of the route would end up then being the same. They're going Port Jervis line -> NEC line -> River Line line (which is, uh, a bit of a cheat, though they could have switched to SEPTA at Trenton instead) -> Atlantic City line. The 118 miles I mentioned would have only swapped out the Port Jervis line portion and then proceeded the same for the rest of what they did.

Old 06-13-2022, 04:53 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I do wish our southern metro's could have such connected rail networks like the video posted in the OP.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I do wish our southern metro's could have such connected rail networks like the video posted in the OP.
Yea, that'd be awesome! DFW has commuter rail lines though Houston does not (it does have some very long light rail lines though).

I was thinking about other parts where you can go very long distances and I think the Bay Area and Southern California has such (without any back tracking).

For Southern California, it'd be Metrolink lines and the 44 mile long Coaster line that serves San Diego with a transfer at Oceanside.

76 miles Metrolink Antelope Valley line from Lancaster to Union Station
87 miles Metrolink Orange County line from Union Station to Oceanside
44 miles Coaster line from Oceanside to Santa Fe Depot

This nets you about 207 or 208 miles depending on how you're counting though these don't run very frequently though neither does the NJT Atlantic City line. This gets just a bit longer if you take the San Diego Trolley light rail from Santa Fe Depot to a Blue or Green Line terminus.

I'm not as familiar with the Bay Area. I imagine that something with BART, ACE, and Caltrain maybe VTA light rail to link some things could be quite long though I'm not sure if the ring around the Bay should count as backtracking.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:07 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
Interesting to see in action. I was actually aware that this trip was possible because years ago I missed an Amtrak train to New York and found riding SEPTA/NJ Transit could get me to Penn Station. Never ended up trying it out though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.