Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 07:53 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Chicken Fried Steak is not southern.

Oklahoma and Texas are always fighting over the claim to chicken fried steak. Texans claim it came with the German settlers to central Texas. Lamesa, Tx claims it was invented there. Oklahomans claim that it might not have been Oklahoma that invented it but it was Oklahoma that first made it a staple meal in restaurants and home kitchens.

So somebody actually researched it. And the first state to have a place to actually advertise "chicken fried steak" was Colorado. Then Kansas, then Oklahoma and Nebraska. The first mention of CFS in Texas was in 1932.
Well Texas (and questionably Oklahoma) are considered Southern. But also, wiki says the first recipe for what could be considered chicken fried steak was printed in the 1830s in a Virginia magazine. But more broadly, most things fried (particularly meats) will likely be considered honorary Southern if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 08:02 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Crab EVERYTHING
MD fried Chicken
Smith Island Cake
Pit Beef
SnowBalls
Old Bay

Definitely an accurate list but you need to specify BLUE crab and crab cakes dominate the crab scene.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:09 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Sweet Corn
Pork Tenderloin
Maid Rites (meh)

Really, pork (and beef) anything is good here, but I think those are what the rest of the world associates with Iowa.
My aunt from Iowa told me that Maid Rites are also called "loose meat" sandwiches (we are talking sloppy joe's for reference, but Iowa calls them something else). I couldn't think of a more unattractive name for a sandwich then "loose meat," lol

Old 06-03-2022, 08:40 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Jersey Tomatoes - come summertime, the best.
I don’t doubt there’s some good tomatoes in Jersey come summertime, I just don’t think it registers with anyone outside of the state/region? The only tomatoes with a name I can think of is “Hampton tomatoes”, and that’s because of a Seinfeld episode 25 years ago.

I think this is the case for most foods being listed so far in this thread? There’s really only a handful of items that when mentioned people immediately associate it with a certain state (or city). The key word in the thread title is “famous”.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:41 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Idaho...Famous Finger Steaks

https://www.idbeef.org/home-of-idaho...-finger-steaks
Quote:
Finger Steaks are like the Northwest's answer to Southern fried chicken.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:35 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Sweet Corn
Pork Tenderloin
Maid Rites (meh)

Really, pork (and beef) anything is good here, but I think those are what the rest of the world associates with Iowa.

Quad City-style pizza?

Old 06-03-2022, 12:41 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Well Texas (and questionably Oklahoma) are considered Southern. But also, wiki says the first recipe for what could be considered chicken fried steak was printed in the 1830s in a Virginia magazine. But more broadly, most things fried (particularly meats) will likely be considered honorary Southern if nothing else.
Interesting. My larger point was not to dispute Texas' and Oklahoma's southernness but the fact that if it was created in Colorado and Kansas... it isn't southern.

Here is my source on this...

https://www.seriouseats.com/chicken-...k-origin-story

Quote:
Such accounts draw more on romantic imagination than on historical evidence. Try as I might, I couldn't find any evidence in the printed record suggesting that chicken-fried steak was brought to Texas by German immigrants in the 19th century. It didn't evolve out of home cooks' efforts to make do with lowly ingredients, either. In fact, chicken-fried steak didn't originate in Texas at all.

Quote:
Instead, chicken-fried steak is a product of early-20th-century commercial kitchens in Kansas and Colorado, where it was a popular restaurant dish. Like a Midwestern transplant who moves to Dallas and dons a 10-gallon hat, chicken-fried steak did eventually take on a strong Texas identity, but that didn't occur until the 1970s.
At the time, fried chicken was a popular restaurant dish, and this new steak preparation featured a similarly thick, crisp batter-based shell. Despite the claim that home cooks devised the preparation as a way to make inexpensive cuts of beef palatable, the very first appearance in print of the phrase "chicken fried steak" was in a series of ads for Phelps's Dining Room and Cafeteria, which ran in the Colorado Springs Gazette in 1914. By 1917, cafés in Kansas were advertising the dish, too, starting with Quinn's Cafe in Beloit, whose specials included "Choice Veal Chops," "Chicken Fried Steak," and "Calves' Brains with Eggs."

Old 06-03-2022, 12:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In my corner of the state:

Linguica & cheese roll
Malasadas
Pasteis de Nata
Blount clam chowder (they make Legal Seafood chowder, among others)
Fish & chips made with fresh cod
Baked scrod (small cod or haddock filet)
Fried clams
Seared scallops
Stuffed quahogs
Clam cakes
Coffee frappe

No baked beans or Indian pudding here.
New England area? Being Portuguese, one things I miss about the S.F. Bay Area is the Linguica and Bacalau, hard to get here. I have to make my own malasadas, and I haven't had Pasteis de Nata in years, on vacation in Hawaii.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:50 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I don’t doubt there’s some good tomatoes in Jersey come summertime, I just don’t think it registers with anyone outside of the state/region? The only tomatoes with a name I can think of is “Hampton tomatoes”, and that’s because of a Seinfeld episode 25 years ago.

I think this is the case for most foods being listed so far in this thread? There’s really only a handful of items that when mentioned people immediately associate it with a certain state (or city). The key word in the thread title is “famous”.
Then you clearly need to spend more time in this part of the country. "Jersey tomatoes" are on local farm stand signs, supermarkets, on and on and on for generations in NJ, NY, the Hamptons and so on.

I have never heard of a "Hampton tomato" in my life lol Please don't ever compare that to a Jersey tomato which like I said has been well known here and outside of this immediate area for a very long time.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:54 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
New England area? Being Portuguese, one things I miss about the S.F. Bay Area is the Linguica and Bacalau, hard to get here. I have to make my own malasadas, and I haven't had Pasteis de Nata in years, on vacation in Hawaii.
I just bought a pound of Linguica dogs for the grill this morning. Mello’s brand from Fall River. I stopped at the drive-thru at the Portuguese bakery for a couple of Portuguese rolls for today’s lunch sandwiches. “Pops”, locally. They have Pasteis de Nata, linguica & cheese rolls, and they make malasadas on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.