Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 10:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

Hawaii - Poke and lunch plates like Kalua pork, garlic schrimp with macaroni salad, rice, and loco moco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
MD! Crabs! Yep, we're crabby.

Steamed crabs
Broiled crab cakes
Fried crab cakes
Crab dip
Chicken Chesapeake (chicken with...yep, crab imperial)
Stuffed rockfish (Striped Bass for those north of the DE bay!) Oh, the "stuffed" is crab imperial...imagine that!
MD cream of crab (much like she crab but without the she)
MD crab (vegatable/tomatoe based) Kind of like Conch Chowder but with crab meat and Old Bay seasoning for the spice!
Rockfish, even without crab.
Old Bay, or the better J.O. seasoning on pretty much all seafood!
Does Maryland not have soft shell crabs? Soft Shell Crabs are the best kind because there is no work to get to the meat. Regular crabs no matter the recipe requires a lot of work to get to the meat. Even crab cakes require you dig the meat out first. It is a lot of work for so little meat.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:55 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Do you remember English's (fried chicken)? They were in Ocean City and eastern Maryland. Not sure if they exist anymore(?)

They were good..
To be honest, I've never heard of it.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:59 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Does Maryland not have soft shell crabs? Soft Shell Crabs are the best kind because there is no work to get to the meat. Regular crabs no matter the recipe requires a lot of work to get to the meat. Even crab cakes require you dig the meat out first. It is a lot of work for so little meat.
Soft shell crabs are big in Maryland. There's no work involved in crab cakes. I live in charlotte, and I had a Baltimore crab cake from food truck who's owner is from Baltimore. Maybe they can fool the people of Charlotte, but that crab cake wouldn't cut it in Baltimore.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:03 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I don't believe I forgot soft shells. Yes, they are another on the list of MD crabby seafood.

Unfortunately, a lot of high end restaurants that have excellent broiled crabcakes full of meat have gotten into this "trendy" Panco crusted deep fried soft crab with some sort of nasty grey poop mustard crap served on some odd flavored roll. That is NOT a MD soft crab and IMHO is no different then taking a quality ribeye and cooking it well done! A Md soft crab is lightly dusted with flour, pan fried and served on white bread! The only "mustard" should be the natural crab crap! Tasty, tasty, tasty!

And about no work to get to the meat? Most good places that sell steamed crabs have good crabcakes full of meat. (the only filler here in MD is to hold it together). My wife always gets the crabcakes when we go out to get crabs because she's too lazy to pick them. I call them the "lazy crab"!

Old 04-01-2023, 12:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida is famous for citrus fruit though sadly much of that has been outsourced to countries like Brazil since FL is more keen on overdevelopment. Arguably shellfish like Pink or White Shrimp (Key West area especially), Stone Crab, Spiny Lobster and saltwater fish like Grouper, Pompano, Red Snapper or Amberjack are the primary table items....and don't forget Key Lime Pie!
Citrus is easy once you get the tree going. Back when I lived in Phoenix for a time period I had a lemon, grapefruit, orange and even a lime tree. The orange tree was the only one I cared about (I actually eat oranges) and that one struggled because it was further away from my neighbor’s flooding backyard (historic neighborhood with irrigation). However my lemon, lime, and grapefruit trees just wouldn’t give up. I was giving people boxes of lemons and grapefruits like Oprah on TV. When I rented the house the landlord told me the citrus trees were probably as old as the house itself… and the house was built in the 40s!

Sonoran cuisine for Arizona is pretty good. Home of the chimichanga. Arizona also invented the cheese crisp, a crunchy version of a quesadilla. Prickly pear/nopales is used in a lot of Mexican style dishes here. Sonoran dogs are really good. There is a debate on whether fry bread was invented in Arizona or New Mexico but fry bread used in things like Navajo tacos and at the state fair are good. Mesquite flour, used to make mesquite bread, rare but sweet (almost caramel tasting). Red Chile stew is popular in southern Arizona as well as posole. Almost everyone in Arizona drinks sun tea.

Here in Georgia we have Coca Cola, fried chicken… anything fried chicken really. Grits, fried okra, peaches, pecans, peanuts, Vidalia sweet onion, “meat and threes”, fried green tomatoes, shrimp n grits, cornbread, Brunswick stew… Georgia has pretty good BBQ but Georgia doesn’t seem as intense about it as some of their neighbors (Carolinas). Soul food of course is heavily associated with Georgia and southern food as a whole. Collard greens etc.

Old 04-02-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Soft shell crabs are big in Maryland. There's no work involved in crab cakes. I live in charlotte, and I had a Baltimore crab cake from food truck who's owner is from Baltimore. Maybe they can fool the people of Charlotte, but that crab cake wouldn't cut it in Baltimore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I don't believe I forgot soft shells. Yes, they are another on the list of MD crabby seafood.

Unfortunately, a lot of high end restaurants that have excellent broiled crabcakes full of meat have gotten into this "trendy" Panco crusted deep fried soft crab with some sort of nasty grey poop mustard crap served on some odd flavored roll. That is NOT a MD soft crab and IMHO is no different then taking a quality ribeye and cooking it well done! A Md soft crab is lightly dusted with flour, pan fried and served on white bread! The only "mustard" should be the natural crab crap! Tasty, tasty, tasty!

And about no work to get to the meat? Most good places that sell steamed crabs have good crabcakes full of meat. (the only filler here in MD is to hold it together). My wife always gets the crabcakes when we go out to get crabs because she's too lazy to pick them. I call them the "lazy crab"!
To make crab cakes you first have to dig the meat out. That is a lot of work.

Old 04-03-2023, 04:10 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I'm in TN.

"Meat and three" - this is basically just a cafeteria-style meat and three vegetables.

Memphis is well-known for its BBQ.

Nashville is also well-known for its hot chicken and hot fish.

Here in east TN, a lot of BBQ places serve sliced, rather than pulled, pork, with a tangy tomato-based sauce. I've rarely seen it outside of east TN/western NC/western VA, but it's popular here.

Old 04-03-2023, 11:31 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
New Mexico has its own cuisine -- different from Mexico and not Tex/Mex. The chile is the centerpiece of much of the cookery. It can be red or green but must be the New Mexico Chile, as in the Hatch Chile or the various heirloom chile varieties from Hispano or Pueblo communities around the state. Hatch Chiles are now available in season at grocers in other parts of the country or you can buy the canned version. Late summer is the chile roasting season and you can smell the aroma wafting through neighborhoods. The chile is a key part of the New Mexico culture. The official state question is "Red or green?" "Christmas" means both.

I'm a transplant but adapted to the local food. Like everything else, I sometimes add my own contribution to the recipe. I like Posole (not Pozole) made with hominy and pork. I like Calabacitas (summer squash) but I put some chicken broth in mine along with the corn and green chile. Everyone has their own recipe for it. Burritos are for breakfast. Enchiladas are traditionally served flat, not rolled, with red chile. Bisochittos are anise flavored cookies made with lard. Huevos Rancheros over blue corn tortillas is not just for breakfast. Indian fry bread serves as the base for a Navajo Taco. I had a Pecan Pastelito (little pie) yesterday (hand size). Carne Adovada is marinated pork with garlic and oregano in red chile sauce. Tamales are common but often replace the turkey as the centerpiece for Thanksgiving in some extended families. Making the Tamales is part of the family effort. You can often get a Green Chile Cheeseburger at restaurants or fast-food spots. Being landlocked there is no real popular or traditional seafood. I asked for Ceviche once in a restaurant and got pickled herring from a jar. More recently you can find some but often it is mostly Baja Mexico style, which makes sense. New Mexico was isolated for generations and the local foods are a mix of local indigenous food, traditional Spanish food, and some old remembered Zacatecas food all mixed into a local style.

I still miss the Midwestern food, especially St. Louis food from where I grew up. I bring back supplies of Provel cheese and Gooey Butter Cake when I visit. You can begin to find passable Toasted Ravioli in some local Italian restaurants in Albuquerque. St. Louis pork steaks are called "pork shoulder blade steaks" here so I can find them for BBQ. We have a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Albuquerque so I can find some Midwestern food when I need it.

New Mexico is the oldest grape and wine producing state going back to the 1600s so you can get some very good local wines. The craft beer scene exploded a few years ago so you can go on a pub crawl binge for weeks. Of course, there is chile beer and chile infused wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.