Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 03:15 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Most to Least Pretentious/Snobby

San Francisco
Boston
Washington DC
Seattle
New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Chicago
New Jersey
Miami
St. Louis
Orlando
Interesting. I'd put LA and Miami above Philadelphia. LA has all sorts of different pretentious people. Ftr, it also has plenty of perfectly relaxed people. Miami doesn't have droves of the intellectual "elite" who fit the bill of traditional "snobbery," but it does have a lot of hyper-athletic, "I'm God's gift to the word because of my beautiful biceps" types of people. That is a form of pretension. Philadelphia has some traditional East Coast elitism, but the elitism is definitely more subdued than any of its major counterparts (Boston, NYC, DC). It is really known as serving a beautiful mix of down-to-earth, yet somewhat chaotic city energy. Most people in the city I meet are approachable, if not a bit hyper and unfiltered. A lot of people in NYC can be that way too, but it does have a higher percent of people who fit the bill of traditional pretentiousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 05:23 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Interesting. I'd put LA and Miami above Philadelphia. LA has all sorts of different pretentious people. Ftr, it also has plenty of perfectly relaxed people. Miami doesn't have droves of the intellectual "elite" who fit the bill of traditional "snobbery," but it does have a lot of hyper-athletic, "I'm God's gift to the word because of my beautiful biceps" types of people. That is a form of pretension. Philadelphia has some traditional East Coast elitism, but the elitism is definitely more subdued than any of its major counterparts (Boston, NYC, DC). It is really known as serving a beautiful mix of down-to-earth, yet somewhat chaotic city energy. Most people in the city I meet are approachable, if not a bit hyper and unfiltered. A lot of people in NYC can be that way too, but it does have a higher percent of people who fit the bill of traditional pretentiousness.
Florida cities just aren't well educated so they don't fit here. Much as I love the state most of it is below average attainment. 19% of Miami residents over 25 don't have a high school education. Close to 10% don't even have a 9th grade education. Basically every number education wise is significantly worse than national average.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:25 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Florida cities just aren't well educated so they don't fit here. Much as I love the state most of it is below average attainment. 19% of Miami residents over 25 don't have a high school education. Close to 10% don't even have a 9th grade education. Basically every number education wise is significantly worse than national average.
I believe it's 2020 (or maybe 2019...don't remember), the percentage of Bachelor or higher in Miami metro is something like 33%. So you're absolutely correct.

Part of Miami is rich, yes, and also pretentious, especially around the Beaches or areas like Bricknell. But people also have to remember that Miami metro has lots of people and there is a sizable population of Hispanics that would not have a college education. The relatively low college educated population percentage is also quite consistent across all 25+ age groups, unlike Pittsburgh which has a high percentage of younger population having college degree while a low percentage of older population having college degree.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:44 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You find Chicago more pretentious than Miami?
Yes.

I think there is a difference between pretentious and the type of people who live in Miami.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:45 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
I happened to have lived in both of these cities.

Chicago is more educated and sophisticated than Miami. A career can go much further in Chicago. But more pretentious? Never.

The same exact thing you said about Miami can be traced to Los Angeles. Regardless of whether or not the pretentiousness is “warranted”, Miami and LA are certainly pretentious.
Fair to say. I get what you're saying. I just know how a Mass. person will view Miami, tis more like 'wow Miami is trying to be pretentious- how amusing'

as evidenced here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yes.

I think there is a difference between pretentious and the type of people who live in Miami.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:02 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Pretentiousness can be about money, sophistication, fancy clothes, non-fancy clothes, beer, ethical/moral topics, being a five-generation local -- any number of things. Even in education people in some places will value an MBA from Yale more or less than a humanities degree from a small uni.

The list will look completely different based upon what part you value. I don't think one list can say much unless it's for a specific set of criteria.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:16 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Some small town in New England or upstate New York is probably the correct answer.

Old 10-07-2022, 01:22 PM

136 posts, read 116,656 times
Surprised I haven’t seen more people say Twin Cities. Seems like a very educated metro, but with a down to earth Midwestern culture. Probably has some hipster pretentiousness though, like Seattle, Portland, etc..

I saw someone mention Huntsville. That may be the best answer I’ve seen. A metro filled with highly educated STEM types building rockets M-F but living a very normal suburban lifestyle otherwise. IME, engineers are some of the least pretentious highly educated people because they’re often just smart kids from middle-class upbringings who have found a prosperous but non-elitist career path.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:59 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Bridgeport, Trenton, and Baltimore. All three are in the top 50 metropolitan areas with the highest educational attainment rates (bachelor's degree or higher).

https://advisorsmith.com/data/the-mo...es-in-america/

Old 10-10-2022, 09:12 PM

817 posts, read 596,866 times
Quote:
I happened to have lived in both of these cities.

Chicago is more educated and sophisticated than Miami. A career can go much further in Chicago. But more pretentious? Never.

The same exact thing you said about Miami can be traced to Los Angeles. Regardless of whether or not the pretentiousness is “warranted”, Miami and LA are certainly pretentious.
Chicago is one of the least sophisticated major cities in America, which is precisely why it is so unpretentious. You either love this or hate this, but as it's impossible to pretend that Chicago is unpretentious and also more sophisticated than hyper-glamorous Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.