Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 10:25 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Chicago is one of the least sophisticated major cities in America, which is precisely why it is so unpretentious. You either love this or hate this, but as it's impossible to pretend that Chicago is unpretentious and also more sophisticated than hyper-glamorous Miami.
You probably have a different definition of sophisticated than the poster you're responding to.
Explain how Chicago can be considered less sophisticated than Phoenix, Houston, Vegas or San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 11:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Chicago is one of the least sophisticated major cities in America, which is precisely why it is so unpretentious. You either love this or hate this, but as it's impossible to pretend that Chicago is unpretentious and also more sophisticated than hyper-glamorous Miami.
A city with:

World renowned architecture
World renowned museums and art institutions
A population more highly educated than LA or NYC
Some of the finest dining in North America
Competitive higher educational institutions across the city
One of the fiserv and legal hubs of the first world
And an MSA with some of the best school districts in the United States

Is also one of the least sophisticated major cities in America?

As others have alluded to, I think a proper explanation is warranted. We know you do not like Chicago, all good. But this one is going to be verrryyyy hard to defend, without getting to "I just don't like Chicago".

Even if your position is that the city just doesn't feel or look sophisticated, that's a tough hill to stand on. The north and near west sides are very "tasteful" and "elegant" neighborhoods.

LP: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9199...7i13312!8i6656
Old Town: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9140...7i16384!8i8192
Gold Coast: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9085...7i16384!8i8192
Bucktown: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9133...7i16384!8i8192
Wicker Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9071...7i16384!8i8192
West Town: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8941...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by mwj119; 10-11-2022 at 12:13 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Reading View Post
This is very untrue. Chicago has some of the best cultural instututions in the country, which are supported by a very sophisticated and educated group of people. Chicago was ranked as the best educated large city in America. Glam is not sophistication-2 types of different people. It is also Midwest traditional, so less showy.
That has been disproven, ad nauseum, on threads. Unless you're only comparing it to NYC and LA, Chicago falls shorts of many other major cities and metros as far as educational attainment.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:43 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Idk about stats but I get the impression that Omaha is pretty well educated. I am biased though cuz a good friend of mine grew up there lol. Omaha and Nebraska in general are the pinnacle of unpretentiousness.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:00 PM

817 posts, read 596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
You probably have a different definition of sophisticated than the poster you're responding to.
Explain how Chicago can be considered less sophisticated than Phoenix, Houston, Vegas or San Antonio.
Those aren't all major cities and I do think that Chicago is closer to Houston in terms of sophistication than it is to Boston, San Francisco, and Washington DC. And I don't think anyone would really dispute that.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Reading View Post
This is very untrue. Chicago has some of the best cultural instututions in the country, which are supported by a very sophisticated and educated group of people. Chicago was ranked as the best educated large city in America. Glam is not sophistication-2 types of different people. It is also Midwest traditional, so less showy.
Chicago is reasonably well educated but it is far from "the best educated large city in America." People are what make a city "sophisticated," not cultural institutions. They often intersect of course but cities like Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Ckeveland all boast an impressive ability to punch well above their weight in terms of cultural offerings. Yet at the end of the day they are still Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Legacy cities are like that because those institutions were created back when those cities actually were wealthy, cosmopolitan places. That's not true of Cleveland or Pittsburgh or St. Louis today and it's not true of Chicago, either.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
A city with:

World renowned architecture
World renowned museums and art institutions
A population more highly educated than LA or NYC
Some of the finest dining in North America
Competitive higher educational institutions across the city
One of the fiserv and legal hubs of the first world
And an MSA with some of the best school districts in the United States

Is also one of the least sophisticated major cities in America?

As others have alluded to, I think a proper explanation is warranted. We know you do not like Chicago, all good. But this one is going to be verrryyyy hard to defend, without getting to "I just don't like Chicago".

Even if your position is that the city just doesn't feel or look sophisticated, that's a tough hill to stand on. The north and near west sides are very "tasteful" and "elegant" neighborhoods.

LP: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9199...7i13312!8i6656
Old Town: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9140...7i16384!8i8192
Gold Coast: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9085...7i16384!8i8192
Bucktown: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9133...7i16384!8i8192
Wicker Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9071...7i16384!8i8192
West Town: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8941...7i16384!8i8192
I feel like we are talking about two different things in terms of what actually constitutes "sophistication" in urban life. I think it's mainly about the people and you are talking about the institutions. Chicago has always marketed itself as a really attractive place precisely because it is a blue collar, "everyman" city with world class cultural institutions. It's the place where Big Ten grads can come and enjoy urban infrastructure and life and world class culture without having to go outside of the small town, down home Midwestern milieu that you very much feel in Chicago. Personally you are right--I hate it. But all of the people who do love Chicago love precisely that and the people who do love Chicago are usually emphatically not sophisticated people who are almost always attracted to the coasts for very obvious reasons.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:01 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Those aren't all major cities and I do think that Chicago is closer to Houston in terms of sophistication than it is to Boston, San Francisco, and Washington DC. And I don't think anyone would really dispute that.
So were you saying Chicago is less sophisticated than Miami? I don't necessarily disagree with your comparison of Chicago with these other cities but Miami is definitely not a place known for sophistication.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:12 AM

853 posts, read 336,640 times
I don't know if everybody has the same definition of pretentious. Is it snobby, elitist rich people? People who put stickers on the back of their car of the prestigious college they or their kids went to? People with green hair who were into "..." before anyone had heard of it? In New York you find a lot of the first type, in Boston the second, in Portland and Minneapolis the third.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I feel like we are talking about two different things in terms of what actually constitutes "sophistication" in urban life. I think it's mainly about the people and you are talking about the institutions. Chicago has always marketed itself as a really attractive place precisely because it is a blue collar, "everyman" city with world class cultural institutions. It's the place where Big Ten grads can come and enjoy urban infrastructure and life and world class culture without having to go outside of the small town, down home Midwestern milieu that you very much feel in Chicago. Personally you are right--I hate it. But all of the people who do love Chicago love precisely that and the people who do love Chicago are usually emphatically not sophisticated people who are almost always attracted to the coasts for very obvious reasons.
I can meet you somewhere in between on this.

While you're right about having a very strong blue collar reputation, the top end of Chicago, largely found in the northside and into the northshore, is about as affluent, sophisticated, well traveled and well educated as it gets. Is it Boston or DC or San Francisco? No.

But I don't see a real difference between NYC, LA, or Chicago in this way. All three share the same type of socioeconomic diversity. All three have many different areas. All three have varying degrees of sophistication. Yes Manhattan is head and shoulders above the rest, but using your logic, NYC and LA are probably more blue collar cities.

Don't forget, Chicago is arguably the top destination for Northwestern, University of Chicago, Notre Dame, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin graduates. So while it doesn't get the same type of domestic migration coastal cities do, it does pull in a lot of brainpower. If only Iowa graduates would stay away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.