Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 09:10 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times

Advertisements

For all intents and purposes, the Northeast is basically becoming the Europe of the United States.

It will continue to get wealthier, and still has plenty of economic competitiveness and assets to attract talented and highly-educated people, but I just don't see where it can ”boom” anymore given its underlying demographics of being older and less child-bearing than the rest of the US.

I think slower growth will return after more of the COVID kinks continue to get worked out, but it's unlikely for even the Northeast Corridor to return to the more recent boom days of the 2010s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 09:13 AM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
To be fair, if you're focusing only the NYC area, you're missing a ton of Upstate hinterland.

Not trying to be alarmist, but the rural Northeast and Midwest are going to be in a for a long, slow decline in the coming years because of simple math--more deaths than births, and a decline in child-bearing.

This is going to be a drag on statewide numbers unless really robust immigration takes hold again in the US.

There's really no other way around it.
The problem with this is that metro areas such as Rochester and Albany have never had a population decline in an official census and Buffalo and Syracuse have held steady or had slight growth in recent official censuses. A small metro like Ithaca has had steady growth as well. So, it is likely a mixed bag and there has been examples of overestimation of places in NY losing people and then they end showing growth in an official census. That's why I agree with others that say to keep that in mind in terms of census estimates.

Also, if the Micron announcement for the Syracuse area even makes out of half of what it presented, there will be some population growth in parts of Upstate NY for a while to come.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:15 AM

25,589 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Does any of this take into account the number of illegal immigrants?I know some people want them counted, others don't. But the fact is, they are here and they gotta live somewhere.

Next census is going to be interesting. I think we're going to end up counting them - or at least asking them to be counted. A lot of them will continue to hide themselves.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:30 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There's not a single source that says its gaining people- Movers, census,, school district head counts. Its definitely losing people.

CT NH VT and ME are not like Massachusetts... furthermore yo believe they're right about 4/5 other nearby states but just wrong about Massachusetts 2 years in a row? Our governor-elect and mayo have both implied theyre worried about losing out to sates like Texas North Carolina, California..
I’d say I highly doubt it’s both true CT, ME and NH are growing and Massachusetts is not. It’s entirely possible Massachusetts did hit the breaks due to Corona and people being untethered to Boston commutes. But i don’t know how for example CT would be a winner from COVID, reversing a decline while Mass was not. I kind of feel like the logic to jet off to FL or AZ from Mass, CT would have the same pressures. NH is linked to Mass in a way I struggle to see their fortunes diverging as radically as the Census says.

So I think one set of numbers is incorrect. Especially since the census underestimated
Massachusetts by about 200,000 people in 2019 and overestimated Fl, TX and AZ.

Also the estimates for MA would have an error range of +/- 350,000 (at 5%, which if you asks me, does seem a wee bit useless)so when they say the population decreased by 8,000 *the census* is saying it’s possible it grew

Last edited by btownboss4; 12-23-2022 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-23-2022, 10:16 AM

21,669 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’d say I highly doubt it’s both true CT, ME and NH are growing and Massachusetts is not. It’s entirely possible Massachusetts did hit the breaks due to Corona and people being untethered to Boston commutes. But i don’t know how for example CT would be a winner from COVID, reversing a decline while Mass was not. I kind of feel like the logic to jet off to FL or AZ from Mass, CT would have the same pressures. NH is linked to Mass in a way I struggle to see their fortunes diverging as radically as the Census says.

So I think one set of numbers is incorrect. Especially since the census underestimated
Massachusetts by about 200,000 people in 2019 and overestimated Fl, TX and AZ.

Also the estimates for MA would have an error range of +/- 350,000 (at 5%, which if you asks me, does seem a wee bit useless)so when they say the population decreased by 8,000 *the census* is saying it’s possible it grew
that makes so much sense. They're cheaper and offer similar lifestyles and proximity to family or work . That's like the #1 logical explanation.

You're mentioning Mass and CT as if they're comparably priced but they're not. Mass has a huge push factor that CT does not.

CT and VT also gain from NYC ex-pats. I dunno..this all seems to line up.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:18 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
that makes so much sense. They're cheaper and offer similar lifestyles and proximity to family or work . That's like the #1 logical explanation.

You're mentioning Mass and CT as if they're comparably priced but they're not. Mass has a huge push factor that CT does not.

CT and VT also gain from NYC ex-pats. I dunno..this all seems to line up.
Agreed with most of this. CT has a lot of people moving south (retirees) but sees even more influx from NY NJ and MA... mostly NY.

However, their calculations for more urban areas are way off. New York City and Boston... with rents at an all time high, vacancies at an all time low and persons per household ticking upwards... are not continuously losing people. Im not sure how they are counting growth, but its not working for our more urban areas.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
They are not. They are pretty close most of the time. They have a margin of error of 5% and they are almost always within that.
They were so off it wasnt even funny. My own personal calculations for the US census were way more accurate than the census estimates.

If you truly think DC has less than 700k people still and NYC is shedding hundreds of thousands a year, im not sure what to tell you.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
The Lion's share of NC's growth is just greater Charlotte and Raleigh. Like many states across the country, small rural counties continue to decline.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:44 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,054,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Does any of this take into account the number of illegal immigrants?I know some people want them counted, others don't. But the fact is, they are here and they gotta live somewhere.

Next census is going to be interesting. I think we're going to end up counting them - or at least asking them to be counted. A lot of them will continue to hide themselves.
Illegals are counted.

The problem is they don't want to be counted, being afraid of the authorities. The undercount is significant since most reliable estimates of the illegal population is between 25 and 40 million!!

The other issue with recent census data is treatment of people with second homes. My county is 40% second homes and with COVID they were ALL over here on April 1st, 2020. But they counted themselves as back at their primary home.

The 2020 Census was one of the worst counts in recent history.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Illegals are counted.

The problem is they don't want to be counted, being afraid of the authorities. The undercount is significant since most reliable estimates of the illegal population is between 25 and 40 million!!

The other issue with recent census data is treatment of people with second homes. My county is 40% second homes and with COVID they were ALL over here on April 1st, 2020. But they counted themselves as back at their primary home.

The 2020 Census was one of the worst counts in recent history.
Unauthorized Immigrants count for 11,000,000 people in the USA lol. Thats 1/3 to 1/4 the number you stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.