Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 12:45 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

The sanitized version of America says that everybody gets along and mixes with everybody else regardless of background.

The unsanitized version of America says that people cling to their social group and set up walls between themselves and others, in ways that are both subtle and unsubtle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 03:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
You got a few of the demographics wrong. For example something that routinely gets discounted but the biggest minority in South Katy is not Asians but Hispanics. It’s also always been Hispanic people.

Most South Katy schools track 35-40% White, 25-30% Hispanic, 20-25% Asian and 10-15% Black and Other. The school’s are a bit more Asian+Hispanic by 5% than the actual area.

77406 and 77407 which I assume are what your talking about with along Grand Parkway are not mostly white with 10% of each.

77406- 46% White, 27% Hispanic, 12% Black, 11% Asian.
77407- 31% Asian, 28% Black, 20% Hispanic and 17% White (Take in mind this region has a larger than normal middle Eastern population).
Now I do realize especially 77407 has established neighborhoods that mask the demographics along the Grand Parkway but this demographic split isn’t far off from the reality along the Grand Parkway in both 77407 and 77406.
Even Sugar Land which is the big white and Asian city is 19% Hispanic and Black.

I don’t think it’s fair at all to say Asians group with Whites. IRL it’s very different in the most Asian places consistently having the most minorities as a whole. Hispanic as an ethnicity continually gets misconstrued as like I said nearly every upper middle class, middle class and lower middle class area in Houston Hispanics are almost always the second biggest group, as a general rule.
It's a mix of 77406/77407, specifically Aliana or Long Meadow Farms etc. Either way I recheck the number and that area is even more diverse than I thought .

And I did certainly underestimate the number of Hispanics in the "Cinco Ranch West" area (77494).

But either way, FB County itself at 30% White, 20% African-American, 22% Asian, 24% Hispanic, and 4% Other means that no group will ever truly "dominate".

Old 01-19-2023, 06:39 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The thing about Houston is that you do have a much wider array of ethnicity compare to, let say, random Midwest metro (or Baltimore...) which is "zebra" (i.e. black or white).

Take HC Village - it's still VERY white, and the 8% Hispanic can also look fairly "white" instead of the typical darker skin Mexican immigrants that you imagine as "Hispanic" (It's Texas...Hispanics can range from duper rich to ultra poor immigrant).

Not quite 90%, but Northside/Northline area is 87% Hispanics.

But yeah, even South Acres nowaday is "only" 75% African-American, 2nd ward is "only" 75% Hispanic, and 3rd ward, well, down to 59% African-American.

But ultimately the numbers in Houston is never that extreme b/c you have lots of intermix between Whites and Asians (both East Asian and South Asian) along with wealthier Hispanics, and then poorer Hispanics with African-Americans.

tl;dr: Houston is truly diverse...unlike places like NYC or Chicago which is only diverse in macro level only, but not so diverse at a neighborhood level.
Houston is not more diverse than NYC.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:55 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Houston is not more diverse than NYC.
On a macro level, no.

NYC is VERY divided into ethnic neighborhood, though - you still have those 90%+ Black / 90%+ Puerto Rican / etc. areas in NYC, whereas it's getting somewhat rare in Houston.

Plus NYC alone has more people than the entire Houston metro area...it's apples and oranges comparison to certain extent.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:11 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
On a macro level, no.

NYC is VERY divided into ethnic neighborhood, though - you still have those 90%+ Black / 90%+ Puerto Rican / etc. areas in NYC, whereas it's getting somewhat rare in Houston.

Plus NYC alone has more people than the entire Houston metro area...it's apples and oranges comparison to certain extent.
Why do people erroneously conflate diversity with integration though?

I do not understand they’re not even related in meaning… are they? It’s two totally different things.

On what level is Houston more diverse than NYC?

Old 01-19-2023, 09:40 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Why do people erroneously conflate diversity with integration though?

I do not understand they’re not even related in meaning… are they? It’s two totally different things.

On what level is Houston more diverse than NYC?
Houston’s metro might be seen as slightly more racially equal than NYC’s metro. But city to city, NYC definitely has more diversity and as the Asian population in NYC is the fastest growing population there’s a good chance the diversity increases as the smallest group currently in the city. What will be the most interesting to me would be Two or More Races population in 2030. That’s probably gonna double again at the least. Or maybe it will stabilize because so many folks identified as multiracial in the last census, either way it will be interesting to say the least.

Also to answer your actual question look at my Ethiopia post earlier. That’s a far more diverse country than America but outside of the one big city and the 4-5 regional cities your not encountering other Ethnic groups in a massive way over there. Take in mind the vast majority like nearly 90% don’t live in the above cities.

So how can you say a place is diverse when you only see one group of people. Segregated cities are just that on a smaller level.
People on CD won’t make the mistake but irl, someone can literally go to Manhattan on Vacation and parts of Brooklyn and make the mistake that NYC is majority white. Obviously NYC is small enough and mobile enough that in most of Manhattan you’ll see hella other minorities.

But as someone from Boston you’ve probably encountered folks who only visit, the core and not Dorchester, Mattapan or Roxbury and think Boston is a White and Asian city. I literally have a coworker who grew up in a city close to Boston and claimed the city but told me the above neighborhoods and Hyde Park aren’t Boston or the “City”, when they didn’t live in Boston. I’m not even making this up for CD, of course I didn’t correct them because I’ve never been. But it was interesting to say the least.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-19-2023 at 09:50 PM..

Old 01-25-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Houston’s metro might be seen as slightly more racially equal than NYC’s metro. But city to city, NYC definitely has more diversity and as the Asian population in NYC is the fastest growing population there’s a good chance the diversity increases as the smallest group currently in the city. What will be the most interesting to me would be Two or More Races population in 2030. That’s probably gonna double again at the least. Or maybe it will stabilize because so many folks identified as multiracial in the last census, either way it will be interesting to say the least.

Also to answer your actual question look at my Ethiopia post earlier. That’s a far more diverse country than America but outside of the one big city and the 4-5 regional cities your not encountering other Ethnic groups in a massive way over there. Take in mind the vast majority like nearly 90% don’t live in the above cities.

So how can you say a place is diverse when you only see one group of people. Segregated cities are just that on a smaller level.
People on CD won’t make the mistake but irl, someone can literally go to Manhattan on Vacation and parts of Brooklyn and make the mistake that NYC is majority white. Obviously NYC is small enough and mobile enough that in most of Manhattan you’ll see hella other minorities.

But as someone from Boston you’ve probably encountered folks who only visit, the core and not Dorchester, Mattapan or Roxbury and think Boston is a White and Asian city. I literally have a coworker who grew up in a city close to Boston and claimed the city but told me the above neighborhoods and Hyde Park aren’t Boston or the “City”, when they didn’t live in Boston. I’m not even making this up for CD, of course I didn’t correct them because I’ve never been. But it was interesting to say the least.
Yea i mean were on CD though. we should be able to distinguish between diverse and integrated.

As far as your coworker he's probably my half-white/half=asian track team captain in college. For some reason he drove some of us who lived in the Boston area back from School one break and insisted on dropping me off.

I was like "nah" but he was "nah let me". I basically live at the bottom of Black Boston- you have to drive through all of it if you're staying local and not taking I-93, I was raised in the blackest Census tracts in Hyde Park. So its a few of us in the car and by the time we got to Blue Hill Ave and Talbot Ave he was like "dude where are we? This is huge- are we still in Boston?" I was like."-_-... yes", we kept driving he was like "this is not Bosotn, I live closer to Boston than this." To which I said "but you're from Winchester though, we never heard of it".

TBH many people don't know Mattapan and Hyde Park are in Boston. We've got active Posters here from Eastern MA who have never been. Lotta maps or artwork of Boston ends in Roxbury or even the doesn't include roxbury but will include Brookline, Cambridge and Somerville. To you, its new- to me, its nomal.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:29 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea i mean were on CD though. we should be able to distinguish between diverse and integrated.

As far as your coworker he's probably my half-white/half=asian track team captain in college. For some reason he drove some of us who lived in the Boston area back from School one break and insisted on dropping me off.

I was like "nah" but he was "nah let me". I basically live at the bottom of Black Boston- you have to drive through all of it if you're staying local and not taking I-93, I was raised in the blackest Census tracts in Hyde Park. So its a few of us in the car and by the time we got to Blue Hill Ave and Talbot Ave he was like "dude where are we? This is huge- are we still in Boston?" I was like."-_-... yes", we kept driving he was like "this is not Bosotn, I live closer to Boston than this." To which I said "but you're from Winchester though, we never heard of it".

TBH many people don't know Mattapan and Hyde Park are in Boston. We've got active Posters here from Eastern MA who have never been. Lotta maps or artwork of Boston ends in Roxbury or even the doesn't include roxbury but will include Brookline, Cambridge and Somerville. To you, its new- to me, its nomal.
Yeah she was from one to the last three cities. That’s crazy because I don’t think there’s a Houston equivalent there’s even a propensity to add the 9 rich island cities of Houston and some other areas on the border that are technically not Houston. The only two neighborhoods that I know that get treated like they aren’t Houston are Kingwood and Clear Lake, also most of the strip-annexed commercial zones. But they’re the far edges of Houston. There’s some other neighborhoods that are contenders but I’ve never met people from said neighborhood.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:42 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,856,713 times
Houston has such a big city limits compared to Boston. It must be strange for people to come from there to Boston , see a scene like this https://goo.gl/maps/qtJHgP9JQB4hw81T9 and have someone point out that no, you aren't in Boston.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah she was from one to the last three cities. That’s crazy because I don’t think there’s a Houston equivalent there’s even a propensity to add the 9 rich island cities of Houston and some other areas on the border that are technically not Houston. The only two neighborhoods that I know that get treated like they aren’t Houston are Kingwood and Clear Lake, also most of the strip-annexed commercial zones. But they’re the far edges of Houston. There’s some other neighborhoods that are contenders but I’ve never met people from said neighborhood.
Was she even really "from" there

Houston is built very differently. Now that I've been it's obvious you're designed to travel far distances and go everywhere and there is much more uniformity of class and more integration. The differences arent as jarring culturally because there's a shared southern culture and blue-collar culture in MOST places. Boston is the anti-Houston. It's balkanized, has fewer chains (that's changing, strict zoning, hyper-local control, and an agglomeration of urban towns you were not really meant to leave your town, no grid, and minimal highway. Plenty of immigrants and POC but not really interacting with white people in a meaningful way ever. Even within POC or just black communities the vibe, the ethnicities and attitudes change within like a mile.

I've also had to tell people in my area of Boston that West Roxbury and Brighton are a part of Boston and not separate towns or cities. What tends to happen in MA is the town will diversify only if they become stagnant and slip down the SES scale relative to neighboring towns. In Boston itself, it's basically yuppies coming more into Roxbury Dorchester in JP and POC going further south deeper into West Roxbury and Hyde Park and other southern suburbs. With Asian and Latino growth in some of the diverse neighborhoods like Mission Hill, East Boston and Allston. And Latinos growing to the North and Asians to the west.

Whites in MA are generally leaving if they can live right near the core of Boston, and many of those people ae from out of state. But the rest of the state is in white flight for sure. People have been cashing those homes they bought in the 70s 80s and 90s and moving to NC SC FL TX AZ for a couple of decades now. This aas led to new ethnicities in the states much more affordable and somewhat remote gateway cities.

Most people in MA just generally don't know much about places further than 4 miles from their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.