Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 05:49 PM

21,808 posts, read 13,002,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Houston has such a big city limits compared to Boston. It must be strange for people to come from there to Boston , see a scene like this https://goo.gl/maps/qtJHgP9JQB4hw81T9 and have someone point out that no, you aren't in Boston.
Yea different county, different mayor, different schools, very different demographics, different crime, different liquor laws (important), different affordability laws, different last call, different traditions, It's a legitimately different place- not just a practicality. But at least Somerville shares the same form of government with Boston, Cambridge does an entirely different form of government than Boston.

For most natives, the Charles River (or theMystic River) is a mental barrier as much as it is a physical one.

But I think In Houston dont yall do like multiple school districts with the city and share schools with suburbs and stuff. yea none of that happens in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 06:40 PM

1,228 posts, read 823,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea different county, different mayor, different schools, very different demographics, different crime, different liquor laws (important), different affordability laws, different last call, different traditions, It's a legitimately different place- not just a practicality. But at least Somerville shares the same form of government with Boston, Cambridge does an entirely different form of government than Boston.

For most natives, the Charles River (or theMystic River) is a mental barrier as much as it is a physical one.

But I think In Houston dont yall do like multiple school districts with the city and share schools with suburbs and stuff. yea none of that happens in Boston.
Houston (Texas in general) school district limits are definitely all over the place.

You're correct - Clear Lake for instance go to Clear Creek ISD (along with suburbs like Webster, League City, etc.), Kingwood (who never really wants to be part of City of Houston anyway) goes to Humble ISD with suburbs like...well, Humble and Anascocita. Even further intown (inside Beltway 8) you have areas like Acres Homes and Greenspoint zoned to Aldine ISD, areas east of Hobby Airport goes to Pasadena ISD, the whole Alief ISD is within City of Houston limit...

Suburban school district aren't much better as sprawl expands. The area near Grand Parkway/Westpark Tollway intersection can be part of Fort Bend ISD, Lamar CISD, or Katy ISD. County line do still matter as I don't think school districts cross county lines (I could be wrong on that part also, though).

In Midwest things are either base on town/city limit or township limit. In Maryland (and Virginia I believe) everything is county-based...being used to Houston myself that's also different anyway.

At the end it's just part of annexation of city limit - take Aldine - part of that area is still unincorporated (and thus falls only under jurisdiction of Harris County). Alief for years was ETJ of Houston. Then there's always Kingwood who fought hard against annexation to no avail .

Old 01-28-2023, 08:07 AM

6,494 posts, read 4,114,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Houston (Texas in general) school district limits are definitely all over the place.

You're correct - Clear Lake for instance go to Clear Creek ISD (along with suburbs like Webster, League City, etc.), Kingwood (who never really wants to be part of City of Houston anyway) goes to Humble ISD with suburbs like...well, Humble and Anascocita. Even further intown (inside Beltway 8) you have areas like Acres Homes and Greenspoint zoned to Aldine ISD, areas east of Hobby Airport goes to Pasadena ISD, the whole Alief ISD is within City of Houston limit...

Suburban school district aren't much better as sprawl expands. The area near Grand Parkway/Westpark Tollway intersection can be part of Fort Bend ISD, Lamar CISD, or Katy ISD. County line do still matter as I don't think school districts cross county lines (I could be wrong on that part also, though).

In Midwest things are either base on town/city limit or township limit. In Maryland (and Virginia I believe) everything is county-based...being used to Houston myself that's also different anyway.

At the end it's just part of annexation of city limit - take Aldine - part of that area is still unincorporated (and thus falls only under jurisdiction of Harris County). Alief for years was ETJ of Houston. Then there's always Kingwood who fought hard against annexation to no avail .
Your mostly right. While as a general rule School districts don't pass county lines. Katy ISD does because the city of Katy is in three counties at once and is small as hell, so the much larger Katy ISD with 350,000+ people is also in 3 counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.