Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 02:21 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Would those areas be open to people with more conservative views as well?
Parts of the Seattle metro, like Pierce, Snohomish and Kitsap counties absolutely would be. Pierce and Kitsap have a strong military presence, and Snohomish County has a lot of blue collar Boeing workers. Even in King County you have places like Maple Valley and Black Diamond where conservative viewpoints wouldn't be out of place. Of course the core of the region where most people live is not super tolerant of conservative views, but I'd say 30-40% of the region wouldn't be too bad for a conservative.

For the Bay Area, you'd have to really get to the fringes, like maybe Gilroy to the South, past Santa Rosa to the North or east to Manteca. But 95% of the Bay Area is not friendly to people with conservative views. The Bay Area is more diverse, educated and wealthier than the Seattle region overall, much less blue collar and no major military bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 06:00 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Florida!?
Yea why not ? It's close to 50/50 politics. Much of the state feels brand new while feeling old fashione at the same time.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:37 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
None of these are tolerant of the right wingers.
Boston allowed a “straight pride” parade to happen back in 2019.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:45 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
None of these are tolerant of the right wingers.
Boston is extremely tolerant of right wing people? Huh?

Just because its 90% blue doesnt mean its like that. People in Boston are truly on the cusp anyway.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:50 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
I would take a look at the first ring suburbs of most mid to large cities. In general I would say more Urban equals more liberal while more rural equals more convervative. However, if you stick to those first ring suburbs there is a more left/right mix as well as people who are more middle of the road and have a live/let live attitude. The only exception I could think of is smaller college towns when you have a good mix of locals and college students. For example I live in a small college town in Western NY and I feel like most people are very tolerant of one another regardless of their lifestyle/views.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:08 AM

1,038 posts, read 680,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Boston allowed a “straight pride” parade to happen back in 2019.
They allowed it because it would have violated the first amendment to prohibit it.

Old 06-16-2023, 03:00 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston is extremely tolerant of right wing people? Huh?

Just because its 90% blue doesnt mean its like that. People in Boston are truly on the cusp anyway.
I would not call Boston or NYC for that matter particularly liberal. Sure they vote for Democrats and vocally pro whatever inclusive thing will put them on the "right side of history". but there's more to it than that. Boston has always been set in its ways.Although that is changing somewhat the attitude is still very, very reluctant to change. Something as basic as laying a new powerline or adding a lane to a highway in New England is practically a herculean task. Stuff like this results in 5/6 New England states being in the top 10 most expensive states for electricity, with the 6th one being Maine at 11th most expensive. Someplace like Florida those things will happen in an afternoon. Nevermind more substantive, transformational changes

New York Cityis not that different and plus it's the world financial centre. No matter how blue they vote, the vast majority of New Yorkers lowkey respect the financial industry and think it's cool. They had the 5 minutes of occupy wallstreet stuff but at the end of the day money rules everything in that city. maybe more than anywhere else in the world.

Old 06-16-2023, 03:09 PM

787 posts, read 643,969 times
Quote:
The question is fairly self-explanatory, but allow me to give a criteria.

This place should have the following:

1. Somewhat even with its voting patterns (not strongly left or right)
2. Someone with alternative views and/or lifestyles can still be welcomed
3. People of all political views would be welcome
4. People of different races/ethnicities/cultures will be welcome
5. People won't feel insecure about themselves because they are of a minority race, religion, political view, etc...
6. People are generally open to new ideas
7. But people are also willing to accept traditional ideas as well.
I think 5 and 6 aren't valid.

Any weak minded or insecure person can be insecure about themselves. That's a very real person problem and flaw and it's ridiculous to call a city intolerate because you as an individual don't walk with confidence in yourself in life.

Being an echo chamber safe space isn't a valuable or positive place to be. Have a backbone and welcome challenge. All ideas and beliefs should and can be challenged, this is a positive outcome and leads to stronger analysis and critical thought.

Generally open to new ideas? In the same vein, new doesn't equal better or good. One should be open to new ideas but with the awareness and openness to reject them just as much as one one accept them.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
They allowed it because it would have violated the first amendment to prohibit it.
I dunno. If they wanted, I imagine they could’ve found ties to a hate group and banned it over safety concerns. Not to mention - anyone can stand in front of the state house and yell. A parade requires special permits and legwork on the part of the city.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:26 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

There are many places that are quite accepting of individual freedom of lifestyle. New Mexico is one of those places. It's famous for communes in the 60s and 70s where people tried radically different ways of life from the American norm.

However, this diversity of thought and lifestyle make it very hard to build community wide, large scale initiatives. People come with radically different views about culture, the economy, the environment, vision for the future etc. I'm learning that Taos is notorious for horrible planning meetings infiltrated by Cave People (Citizen Against Virtually Everything). A lot of this results from the wildly different views.

You need some semblance of shared ideas to really do things collectively. Isolated lots, single family homes, suburbs, and cars - for as much as people crap on them, are peace makers that allow people with wildly different behaviors to live in the same area and not snap at each other. All that urban village dreaming requires homogeneity in belief and attitude. Going back to the communes, they've all failed and have essentially been bulldozed - which should serve as a check on people trying to radically shift the mode of society that's so common in political dialogue.
I think that Taos is one of the most laid-back places I have ever experienced. A friend who moved there said it was dysfunctional compared to other places. Maybe so. I was there a year or so ago and went into a shop and there was no one there. The dog seemed to be in charge. The guy came back, eventually. He went to get some coffee and met a friend. The dog had it covered. Posted business hours seem to be suggestions. By contrast, Santa Fe is crazy the other way -- the town has OCD. But both places seem to get along okay with whatever community model they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.