Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 04:41 PM

1,043 posts, read 682,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I dunno. If they wanted, I imagine they could’ve found ties to a hate group and banned it over safety concerns. Not to mention - anyone can stand in front of the state house and yell. A parade requires special permits and legwork on the part of the city.
They could have tried to ban it, but ultimately the group would be within their first amendment rights to still have their protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 05:57 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
They could have tried to ban it, but ultimately the group would be within their first amendment rights to still have their protest.
Exactly what I said. But a protest would’ve been a group chanting on the Common. Not a parade.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The urban areas of the lower Northeast....NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore.
What? Those people can't find Ohio on a map. They don't know carrots have been washed before the grocer put them on the shelf. That children walk to school.
They can't visualize a tow smaller than Cleveland.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:18 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Hampton Roads?

Old 06-17-2023, 03:46 PM

406 posts, read 341,844 times
The West Coast, especially the SF Bay and Seattle area, is absolutely the most open-minded area of the US.

Last edited by jaysan89; 06-17-2023 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-17-2023, 08:34 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Las Vegas

Old 06-18-2023, 08:55 AM

1,070 posts, read 787,201 times
"Open-minded" is a loaded term often used as a dog whistle on the left. Does being open-minded mean embracing all progressive ideals? Or does it mean tolerating and accepting all people, even if you vehemently disagree with their beliefs?

IMO, you'll find true open-mindedness more in "Purple" areas of the US with less of an echo chamber effect. Places like Blue cities in Red states, or vice versa. And swing states. This requires reaching across the partisan divide to get things done, which means people of opposing ideologies have to work together.

Old 06-18-2023, 03:01 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
The West Coast, especially the SF Bay and Seattle area, is absolutely the most open-minded area of the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Las Vegas
Yes

Old 06-20-2023, 11:34 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
"Open-minded" is a loaded term often used as a dog whistle on the left. Does being open-minded mean embracing all progressive ideals? Or does it mean tolerating and accepting all people, even if you vehemently disagree with their beliefs?

IMO, you'll find true open-mindedness more in "Purple" areas of the US with less of an echo chamber effect. Places like Blue cities in Red states, or vice versa. And swing states. This requires reaching across the partisan divide to get things done, which means people of opposing ideologies have to work together.
To me, being open minded means listening to all ideas, and scrutinising which ones are terrible. I lean left but lots of ideas proposed by the left, esp the far left, are terrible and an overreaction to either right wing policies or past atrocities.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:00 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post

I say the latter, although I wouldn't put "vehemently disagree" and open minded in the same sentence.

Being able to learn, embrace, understand, etc., different ideals, beliefs, practices, cultures, even economic policies is my interpretation. I'm a gay white man living in New York City and I have friends, family and associates across the spectrum: Conservative, liberal, religious/non-religious, transgender, and everything in-between, and we somehow contently co-exist.

The problem at large is the extreme polarization and information overload (much of it false or dramatized) that is constantly shoved in our faces that naturally causes divide. And the idea that some people feel the need to dictate how the population should think or live (based on their beliefs) is a problem that is causing a scary amount of divide in our nation.

I go by the motto "live and let live", but that is unfortunately mostly out the window these days.

In summary of my rambling, I think it's hard to pinpoint an entire state/region that is the "most open minded", but I vote for New York because there is so much difference out in the open, so it naturally opens people's minds to learn, understand or embrace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
To me, being open minded means listening to all ideas, and scrutinising which ones are terrible. I lean left but lots of ideas proposed by the left, esp the far left, are terrible and an overreaction to either right wing policies or past atrocities.
* Far left AND far right. Both are guilty.

Last edited by cpomp; 06-20-2023 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.