Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 06:15 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m still not really getting a handle on what the “mid-Atlantic” is. Being fairly new to the East coast there’s a lot of dividing lines/subregions which are really hazy in my mind, and seem superfluous to me because I don’t know what constitutes any of these subregions or what to look for/how to recognize them.
The mid-Atlantic is essentially the New Jersey shoreline down to Virginia IMO. Although the overall definition includes the state of New York also. Nonetheless, after that it ends outside of the those boundaries along the East Coast, and some include West Va. Certainly South of Virginia's commonwealth you are in the South Atlantic, but I'd say that VA itself is a cross of both the South Atlantic, and mid-Atlantic. The majority of business or government agencies reflect this on their maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 09:16 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
I stayed in North Carolina for about 5 months. It definitely felt like the south to me

Old 01-28-2024, 11:39 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I just learned there is a Mid-Atlantic Christian University in Elizabeth City, North Carolina
I heard the founders were lost…

Old 01-29-2024, 07:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I just learned there is a Mid-Atlantic Christian University in Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Geographically, the Tidewater region of VA feels more mid-Atlantic than the south anyway, had been for years. Elizabeth City is not that far south of the VA/NC border, and culturally can still be mid-Atlantic (albeit more "southern" mid-Atlantic).

The part of NC touching Southside VA is the south, period. That includes everywhere in the Piedmont (Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro), west to Mouth Airy or so - that's definitely the south.

Further west is southern Appalachia, which has its own distinct culture. Think the likes of Boone. Asheville feels different than all the other larger NC metro also. "Southern Appalachia" is still the south, though.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:21 AM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m still not really getting a handle on what the “mid-Atlantic” is. Being fairly new to the East coast there’s a lot of dividing lines/subregions which are really hazy in my mind, and seem superfluous to me because I don’t know what constitutes any of these subregions or what to look for/how to recognize them.
imo , it's exactly how it sounds. The middle-Atlantic, so from Northern NC to southern Jersey, PA, some throw NYC in there.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:17 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
imo , it's exactly how it sounds. The middle-Atlantic, so from Northern NC to southern Jersey, PA, some throw NYC in there.
The Mid Atlantic is the Northeast minus New England.

Most of VA, and All of NC is part of the South-Atlantic. VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL.

And that what I find weird people or going is it the South or Mid Atlantic. When it's The South-Atlantic. VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL alll are Southern states but also have things and cultural attribute that's East Coast that different from rest of the South.

The US has several megalopolis regions The boswash being the largest. The boswash ending in Northeast VA. plays a large part of defining in the Mid-Atlantic. As it goes New England and Mid-Atlantic. So while DC by census is consider the South it makes sense why many would call it mid-Atlantic.

NC situation is different no only it not apart of the Boswash it's apart of another separate megalopolis, In the South Atlantic there two. The Piedmont and Florida Peninsula. From Atlanta to raleigh is it own megalopolis.

Research Triangle

Piedmont Triad

Charlotte metropolitan area

Upstate South Carolina

Metro Atlanta

I mention this on another page The Sunbelt doesn't exist in mid-Atlantic. And Sunbelt cities do not grow the same, If you go Texas, CA, AZ or even FL it become very clear Raleigh reflect the piedmont Sunbelt. Some people has tried arguing diversity and transplants to distinguish NC from the South. When that ignores those are things the NC cities have common with SC and GA.

Outside of the piedmont cities.

NC, GA, SC and even VA share The Colonial Coast and Appalachian

Some are are going Appalachia is own region, but even if consider that it's something that ties NC with other southern states. It's beyond the South Atlantic going into AL, TN, KY, and West VA. but overral it's a Eastern thing. Interesting enough The Carolinas and Georgia were home to first and second gold rushes. This plays a important part of all 3 states' history and culture of this regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT4Cdlf5-qk

As far as The Coast I think some mix up The coast of GA and SC as has having more in common with the Gulf Coast. For example, Gulf Coast doesn't have Colonial Georgian architecture which is something that exist Maine to Georgia link to the British. Mean while some of Spanish/French architecture that exist in New Orleans actually exist in other historic gulf cities such as Mobile. I say this because of some use British Colonial history as something defining for Northeast. And not a feature of whole 13 colonies. So NC Colonial history is being used to define as mid-Atlantic because despite Savanah and Charleston people are incorrectly associating them with the Gulf cities and not their other British cities on the East Coast.

- Piedmont megalopolis
- Southern Appalachian
- Colonial Coast

This inferiox complex that some non-Southern transplants moving to the South, not wanting to called where moving in the South the South it's getting weird. it's already bad with Texas and Florida but people doing in NC takes it a new level.

One of the defining things of Atlanta is the birth the idea of the New South, After the fall of the antebellum South. Atlanta was meant to contrast antebellum cities like New Orleans and become more industrial and modern Atlanta started to attract transplant from all over this accelerated later with the Sunbelt boom. Otherwise Raleigh cannot out cosmopolitan Atlanta. This is why I can't comprehend some of yall definition of the South cultural only rest on the past, and not included changes in diversity etc. because one of neighborhoods I grew up in Atlanta is buford Hwy North Dekalb. diversity is something that adds to the South not something that contrast it.

This happen because people are defining the South as monolithic. And ignoring that NC is already in a Sub region of the South. That what they are trying to define different from the South are actually characteristics it already shares with it's neighbors.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:15 AM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The Mid Atlantic is the Northeast minus New England.

Most of VA, and All of NC is part of the South-Atlantic. VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL.

And that what I find weird people or going is it the South or Mid Atlantic. When it's The South-Atlantic. VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL alll are Southern states but also have things and cultural attribute that's East Coast that different from rest of the South.

The US has several megalopolis regions The boswash being the largest. The boswash ending in Northeast VA. plays a large part of defining in the Mid-Atlantic. As it goes New England and Mid-Atlantic. So while DC by census is consider the South it makes sense why many would call it mid-Atlantic.

NC situation is different no only it not apart of the Boswash it's apart of another separate megalopolis, In the South Atlantic there two. The Piedmont and Florida Peninsula. From Atlanta to raleigh is it own megalopolis.

Research Triangle

Piedmont Triad

Charlotte metropolitan area

Upstate South Carolina

Metro Atlanta

I mention this on another page The Sunbelt doesn't exist in mid-Atlantic. And Sunbelt cities do not grow the same, If you go Texas, CA, AZ or even FL it become very clear Raleigh reflect the piedmont Sunbelt. Some people has tried arguing diversity and transplants to distinguish NC from the South. When that ignores those are things the NC cities have common with SC and GA.

Outside of the piedmont cities.

NC, GA, SC and even VA share The Colonial Coast and Appalachian

Some are are going Appalachia is own region, but even if consider that it's something that ties NC with other southern states. It's beyond the South Atlantic going into AL, TN, KY, and West VA. but overral it's a Eastern thing. Interesting enough The Carolinas and Georgia were home to first and second gold rushes. This plays a important part of all 3 states' history and culture of this regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT4Cdlf5-qk

As far as The Coast I think some mix up The coast of GA and SC as has having more in common with the Gulf Coast. For example, Gulf Coast doesn't have Colonial Georgian architecture which is something that exist Maine to Georgia link to the British. Mean while some of Spanish/French architecture that exist in New Orleans actually exist in other historic gulf cities such as Mobile. I say this because of some use British Colonial history as something defining for Northeast. And not a feature of whole 13 colonies. So NC Colonial history is being used to define as mid-Atlantic because despite Savanah and Charleston people are incorrectly associating them with the Gulf cities and not their other British cities on the East Coast.

- Piedmont megalopolis
- Southern Appalachian
- Colonial Coast

This inferiox complex that some non-Southern transplants moving to the South, not wanting to called where moving in the South the South it's getting weird. it's already bad with Texas and Florida but people doing in NC takes it a new level.

One of the defining things of Atlanta is the birth the idea of the New South, After the fall of the antebellum South. Atlanta was meant to contrast antebellum cities like New Orleans and become more industrial and modern Atlanta started to attract transplant from all over this accelerated later with the Sunbelt boom. Otherwise Raleigh cannot out cosmopolitan Atlanta. This is why I can't comprehend some of yall definition of the South cultural only rest on the past, and not included changes in diversity etc. because one of neighborhoods I grew up in Atlanta is buford Hwy North Dekalb. diversity is something that adds to the South not something that contrast it.

This happen because people are defining the South as monolithic. And ignoring that NC is already in a Sub region of the South. That what they are trying to define different from the South are actually characteristics it already shares with it's neighbors.
Appreciate this post. Very thorough. I've never heard of the south Atlantic, nor the north Atlantic though?

Old 01-31-2024, 12:14 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Appreciate this post. Very thorough. I've never heard of the south Atlantic, nor the north Atlantic though?
South Atlantic States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...s?wprov=sfti1#

Old 01-31-2024, 03:10 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
There's no North Atlantic because above the Mid-Atlantic that would basically be New England, and that's already the term for that region. New England

The South Atlantic term exist, and it's even defined as a division of the South by US Census, the same way New England is used in the Northeast. but it's not in common use as it should be. Though there are Cultural and Geographical reasons for it to be more use. But people are 100x better off using South Atlantic, then trying to say they are not the South altogether. This region is the South but also have features that's Geographically, Cultural, even politically that associate with the East Coast.

You hear Southeast more in use, but that's a much broader term that includes most of the South sometimes including Louisiana. This contrast saying the Northeast because that specifically the Mid-Atlantic and New England. So the actual term to refer to the East Coast states of the South would be The South Atlantic.

Old 02-02-2024, 05:35 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Nobody calls anything the "South Atlantic", though, Census Bureau be damned. It's not a recognized subregion in any speech. I live in North Carolina (Raleigh), that's not a part of lingo or characterization here...

For the record, neither is Mid-Atlantic, no one here considers this anything but the South...

The Mid-Atlantic in practicality is the DC/Bmore Capital region and surrounding areas with cultural and economic ties to that region. All of VA's most populated areas are Mid-Atlantic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.