Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2023, 08:21 PM

4,171 posts, read 2,878,869 times

Advertisements

We aren’t really in Atlanta’s sphere, but we are clearly more like Atlanta than DC by any reasonable measure. There is no major culture shock besides traffic when friends move to Alpharetta. That isn’t true even of NoVa.

But also Braves are bigger here than the Redskins, which would be the only meaningful DC fanbase in the area at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 11:37 PM

185 posts, read 128,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
We aren’t really in Atlanta’s sphere, but we are clearly more like Atlanta than DC by any reasonable measure. There is no major culture shock besides traffic when friends move to Alpharetta. That isn’t true even of NoVa.

But also Braves are bigger here than the Redskins, which would be the only meaningful DC fanbase in the area at this point.
We are not like Atlanta or DC. I went to college in Atlanta and nothing about that area remotely made me feel like I was home. And I was down there again this past December and nothing again there reminded me of the Triangle. The areas are distinctly different, no more or less than the DC area. I was in DC in January, it's definitely different than here but it wasn't a major culture shock. Actually, I'm going again this weekend because I have way more family in the DC area than Atlanta, because most North Carolinans migrated North not South. So, I definitely visit DC more than Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:28 AM

6,400 posts, read 5,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
We are not like Atlanta or DC. I went to college in Atlanta and nothing about that area remotely made me feel like I was home. And I was down there again this past December and nothing again there reminded me of the Triangle. The areas are distinctly different, no more or less than the DC area. I was in DC in January, it's definitely different than here but it wasn't a major culture shock. Actually, I'm going again this weekend because I have way more family in the DC area than Atlanta, because most North Carolinans migrated North not South. So, I definitely visit DC more than Atlanta.
I have to disagree a little bit here.

The northern suburbs of Atlanta feel an awful lot like the Western Wake (where I grew up). It's been about a decade since I've spent significant time down there but the geography, architecture, and demographics particularly of the Northern suburbs of Atlanta are very similar to those of Western Wake (where I grew up). Alpharetta/Johns Creek could easily be mistaken for Cary/Apex.

North Hills mimics/is trying to be a scaled down Buckhead.

It doesn't mean that everyone in the Triangle is looking to Atlanta as "their city"....just that there is enough parity between to two areas to note a similar "regional affiliation"

Old 07-07-2023, 09:14 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,656,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
All this time I thought the first time I went to Virginia (from Washington DC went to Arlington Cemetery, Mount Vernon -the rural estate of George Washington, was interesting to learn I was walking on the unmarked graves of slaves as they were buried throughout the property according to the guide, not an expected information in response to me asking where were the slaves buried-, and to the Tyson Square Mall), I was in the South as soon I crossed the river.

Then again, the only places I have been in Florida is Central Florida and South Florida. I swore I was not just in the south, but the southern part of the South. One day I was made aware that the South ends further north. Bummer.

So there you go, the places I've spent the most time in the South are its most northern and southern parts of the South that isn't the "real" South. No wonder I haven't met much the southern accent in southern people. lol
Florida is the south.

As someone eloquently stated up thread , who did DC and Maryland recognize as their president?

Old 07-08-2023, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 3,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
You literally brought up Charleston in that regard in your post (#84).

Anyways, a lot has happened in 2 years. South End is pretty unrecognizable even from a few years ago imo, even the area around NoDa has grown a decent amount.

I don't mind if you think Charlotte is boring, truth be told-- I'm sure a lot of the locals would prefer to not be on the national radar in a kind of way that Nashville or Austin is.
Fair point. I'm sure as the years progress we'll start seeing lots of this culture continuously disappear sadly. I blame globalization for really making most areas of the USA just feel so similar.

Old 07-08-2023, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 3,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Florida is the south.

As someone eloquently stated up thread , who did DC and Maryland recognize as their president?
Northern Florida is the South. South Florida is its own region despite being located in the south. Miami feels like its own country in a way lol!

Old 07-08-2023, 11:01 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,107,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
I never said parts of western NC were not in Atlanta's sphere of influence. I reject the notion that somehow Raleigh-Durham is linked to Atlanta thru some "Super Piedmont" region some people have mentioned. And the false statement that in the Triangle we are Braves nation when it comes to baseball. I'm just saying in the Raleigh-Durham area we are not anyway linked to Atlanta or under Atlanta's regional sphere of influence. I can only speak on the area in which I have lived over 50 years.
But you spoke for the whole state initially, not just the part you live in.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:36 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,971,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I have to disagree a little bit here.

The northern suburbs of Atlanta feel an awful lot like the Western Wake (where I grew up). It's been about a decade since I've spent significant time down there but the geography, architecture, and demographics particularly of the Northern suburbs of Atlanta are very similar to those of Western Wake (where I grew up). Alpharetta/Johns Creek could easily be mistaken for Cary/Apex.

North Hills mimics/is trying to be a scaled down Buckhead.

It doesn't mean that everyone in the Triangle is looking to Atlanta as "their city"....just that there is enough parity between to two areas to note a similar "regional affiliation"
This.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:08 AM

5,859 posts, read 5,670,904 times
Holy **** this thread is a mess lmao...

I live in North Raleigh. North Hills, just north of ITB. I work in Morrisville. I spend a bunch of time otherwise in Southeast, Garner, and Downtown...

I'm not about to debate with anyone who says Raleigh isn't southern. It's one of the wildest narratives that has been allowed to survive on this board, and there's a ton of wild **** that has thrived on here for years...

"Raleigh isn't really the South" hahaha. Ooookkkkaaayyyy. Tell me you don't know Raleigh without implicitly saying so lol...

What I will say is that the "major city" Raleigh looks towards is DC, and is part of DC's extended sphere of influence. I wouldn't say DC has anywhere near the imprint here that it has on Richmond or Tidewater VA, but DC is more influential here than Atlanta is. Atlanta is Charlotte's city. DC is Raleigh's...

And the fact that DC's influence stretches further south than north is a more than logical reason to call out the southern-ness of DC---->but this is far from the only one...

The confusion of what is Mid-Atlantic on this board has always centered around this board's obsession with mischaracterizing Virginia. I've been here 12 years and it's as true today as it was the day I joined. This board has a real fetish for being habitually wrong about Virginia, because if most posters here spoke about Virginia accurately you wouldn't have this dissension about where Central or Tidewater VAs are included in the Mid-Atlantic...

Mid-Atlantic never meant strictly southern or northern, that's a CD definition. The same CD that defines DC as strictly northern by consensus lmao...

New York City isn't viewed by hardly anyone as Mid-Atlantic, except on this website of horrid opinions...

North Carolina is a complete and totally southern state. Virginia is mostly southern but always had economic and political and cultural similarities to places north of it too, Virginia was never entirely of the South. I see people still love talking about that capital of the Cinfederacy period that Richmond didn't volunteer itself for hahahaha...

Maryland is either 50/50 south/not south as a state or is slightly more non-southern on some 55/45 to 60/40 ish. Delaware non-southern mostly on maybe 65/35 to 70/30. I wouldn't argue with anyone who says Maryland or Delaware are mostly characteristically non-southern----->I do have an issue when people say those states aren't southern at all. Because that isn't true...

This board is nuts, probably time for me to take another break...

Old 07-10-2023, 07:12 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,656,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Holy **** this thread is a mess lmao...

I live in North Raleigh. North Hills, just north of ITB. I work in Morrisville. I spend a bunch of time otherwise in Southeast, Garner, and Downtown...

I'm not about to debate with anyone who says Raleigh isn't southern. It's one of the wildest narratives that has been allowed to survive on this board, and there's a ton of wild **** that has thrived on here for years...

"Raleigh isn't really the South" hahaha. Ooookkkkaaayyyy. Tell me you don't know Raleigh without implicitly saying so lol...

What I will say is that the "major city" Raleigh looks towards is DC, and is part of DC's extended sphere of influence. I wouldn't say DC has anywhere near the imprint here that it has on Richmond or Tidewater VA, but DC is more influential here than Atlanta is. Atlanta is Charlotte's city. DC is Raleigh's...

And the fact that DC's influence stretches further south than north is a more than logical reason to call out the southern-ness of DC---->but this is far from the only one...

The confusion of what is Mid-Atlantic on this board has always centered around this board's obsession with mischaracterizing Virginia. I've been here 12 years and it's as true today as it was the day I joined. This board has a real fetish for being habitually wrong about Virginia, because if most posters here spoke about Virginia accurately you wouldn't have this dissension about where Central or Tidewater VAs are included in the Mid-Atlantic...

Mid-Atlantic never meant strictly southern or northern, that's a CD definition. The same CD that defines DC as strictly northern by consensus lmao...

New York City isn't viewed by hardly anyone as Mid-Atlantic, except on this website of horrid opinions...

North Carolina is a complete and totally southern state. Virginia is mostly southern but always had economic and political and cultural similarities to places north of it too, Virginia was never entirely of the South. I see people still love talking about that capital of the Cinfederacy period that Richmond didn't volunteer itself for hahahaha...

Maryland is either 50/50 south/not south as a state or is slightly more non-southern on some 55/45 to 60/40 ish. Delaware non-southern mostly on maybe 65/35 to 70/30. I wouldn't argue with anyone who says Maryland or Delaware are mostly characteristically non-southern----->I do have an issue when people say those states aren't southern at all. Because that isn't true...

This board is nuts, probably time for me to take another break...
do you think there’s more direct flights between Raleigh and Dc or New York and dc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.