Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2023, 01:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Respectfully, this is just another tiresome (ongoing) attempt to erase the South.
First the long established Mason-Dixon was tossed out, so Maryland (supposedly) became Northern.. then the goal posts are moved so only parts of Virginia remain within the South.. now the suggestion comes that North Carolina is the new dividing line.. and may only be marginally Southern.

Eventually we'll be down to a carpetbaggers' map where the South is only (select parts) of Mississippi.
Maryland is Mid-Atlantic and part of Northeast Corridor.

BTW, VA is still mostly consider a "southern state"...at least in the abortion debates you see lots of articles like this:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...lina-moves-ban

"Virginia being last southern state where abortion is permitted".

Which, BTW, just to show what people consider the "south" - Maryland is not it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 02:02 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Maryland is Mid-Atlantic and part of Northeast Corridor.

BTW, VA is still mostly consider a "southern state"...at least in the abortion debates you see lots of articles like this:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...lina-moves-ban

"Virginia being last southern state where abortion is permitted".

Which, BTW, just to show what people consider the "south" - Maryland is not it.
Uh... The Washington Examiner is not exactly known for being a great source for truth... or anything, really.

Old 06-27-2023, 04:17 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Uh... The Washington Examiner is not exactly known for being a great source for truth... or anything, really.
Yeah...but TBH there are just so many reference to VA being "last southern state where abortion is legal" lately due to the upcoming state election.

(Of course everyone will tell you NoVA is not the south...)

Old 07-02-2023, 01:14 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
So, I guess Virginia and Tennessee are neighboring states, also?
Literally.

Quote:
Before, there were professional sports team in NC, people here did not support or wear the jerseys of any teams in Atlanta.
So I guess they started only after NC got pro sports teams?

https://www.robesonian.com/sports/67...ntabraves-fans

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ille/97259650/

Old 07-02-2023, 07:15 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Personally, I don’t really get the whole “mid-Atlantic” thing. The Northeast ends at DC, from there south is the South/southeast.

Old 07-02-2023, 08:15 AM

12,820 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Personally, I don’t really get the whole “mid-Atlantic” thing. The Northeast ends at DC, from there south is the South/southeast.
In some ways DC is closely tied to the NE but to me there should be a mid Atlantic region.

I do agree that south of nova is the south

Old 07-02-2023, 10:20 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
I have heard a couple times that if your zipcode starts with a 0 or 1 you are in the Northeast; 2 or 3 you are in the southeast. This mostly seems to check out. You could argue part of that 2s section is "mid-Atlantic" I suppose....but not NC.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Historically, and technically presently, the mid-Atlantic designated the southern tier, or non-New England states, of the Northeast (NY, NJ, PA). These days the designation has more of a literal geographic meaning as well as a sociocultural one, namely where the North(east) meets the South(east).

It would seem as though you're differentiating the Northeast from what lies to its south based on Union/Confederate identities. Am I at least warm?

Old 07-02-2023, 11:49 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
I actually hadn’t thought about that, but it does ring true now that you mention it. I wouldn’t say it’s exactly the Mason-Dixon Line but it’s a decent approximation.

Also being a west coaster, I’m probably just more ignorant of what the mid-Atlantic is and means than anything. I don’t believe it’s a term I heard or was tuned in to until I was probably 30 or so.

Old 07-02-2023, 08:17 PM

185 posts, read 127,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Literally.

So I guess they started only after NC got pro sports teams?

https://www.robesonian.com/sports/67...ntabraves-fans

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ille/97259650/
Here in the Triangle, Atlanta Braves or any of Atlanta professional teams were never strongly supported. I've lived in this area over 50 years and when the Braves won the World Series it was just another day. You didn't see Braves jerseys on people or flags on cars in any significant numbers. This area is college basketball, Durham Bulls and professional football which I would say there is almost just as many Cowboy fans as Panthers fan. I know some people want to make this somehow deep connection between Georgia and North Carolina, which really doesn't exist. You know there is the whole state of South Carolina that exist between these two states, that some people from Georgia act like doesn't exist. I think Georgia has more connection to Alabama than North Carolina. They share an extensive border, similar shape and both are Deep South states. And I guarantee you will find many more Falcons and Braves fan in Alabama than North Carolina.

Here is a map of the MLB baseball fan base in NC. Western half is mostly Braves, Central & Eastern half where the population is much higher are mostly Yankees
https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/f...15-mlb-fan-map

Last edited by Mackro70; 07-02-2023 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.