Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 08:34 PM

185 posts, read 127,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Refreshing to see a southerner admit their city is in the south.
Well it seems like some people in Atlanta always want to have some connection to Southern metros that are north and east of their city (i.e. Greenville S.C., Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham) instead of west or south (Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, Jackson Miss.) I would say Atlanta has a lot more influence over these other metro areas than Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham, which is basically nil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 10:23 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
My girlfriend is about 45 minutes north of Hendersonville. It's definitely the South with Appalachian flavor.
Curious as to why you said this in this way. Wouldn't "45 minutes north of Hendersonville" be expressed as "20 minutes north of Asheville"? I would think that Asheville is the better-known place. Not that it really matters, I'm just curious.

Old 07-10-2023, 10:47 PM

544 posts, read 561,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
Well it seems like some people in Atlanta always want to have some connection to Southern metros that are north and east of their city (i.e. Greenville S.C., Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham) instead of west or south (Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, Jackson Miss.) I would say Atlanta has a lot more influence over these other metro areas than Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham, which is basically nil.
Bham, Hville, & Gump, sure, but Jackson's a bit far (Atlanta's barely closer than Dallas, but Atlanta has more traffic points in between). Although, I think Atlanta's growing size without as much growing transit has actually dampened its cultural strength over other southern cities as of late. It just isn't as easy to access the amenities of Atlanta as much as it used to be. People from other cities just don't want to deal with the traffic, and thus have set up more in their local spots. It might seem more prominent in the Carolinas, but it's happening westward as well.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:59 PM

467 posts, read 429,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yes.

It isn't "southerners" who oft opine that the particular southern city/metro they are in "isn't really the south"....that generally (at least in the C-D eco-chamber) is a sentiment expressed by people from elsewhere who have either visited or moved to southern areas. When the area doesn't fit their stereotype of everyone being Andy Griffith, Barny Fife, Aunt Bea and/or The Clampetts..... it thus "isn't REALLY southern"...

OR

It is rural southerners (who may actually relate more to Andy and the Clampetts) making the same claim.

Either way it's just people not really being able to utilize critical thinking skills....
Exactly this. It ultimately boils down to the present day South not conforming to people's narrow expectations and assumptions and their inability to reconcile these kinds of limited mental images with reality.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:48 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
Besides huntsville non of the cities are growing fast.

From Atlanta to Raleigh are the faster growing more cosmopolitan cities in the South east. "Not including Florida" There CSAs also run into each other and they form a megalopas corridor.

it's all southern, what I'm saying there different subgenres of the South.

There a few posters are trying describe NC as not southern because of transplants, growing diversity. etc which is weirdest thing because they only describing how it's in the same Southern sub region with Atlanta.

Old 07-16-2023, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
I'm in the Charlotte area weekly for work, there is no discernible Atlanta pull there and it still feels a world away (to me). That isn't to say there isn't any but I've never felt it. Charlotte is a very transplant heavy region, most people do not feel a connection to Atlanta...and why should they? It's not even close (4+ hours).
It's like saying DC isn't in the same region as NY.

Atlanta is a very transplant city. Trying to describe Charlotte and Raleigh as transplanted cities so not like Atlanta is an oxymoron.
---

Most of the South "land wise" isn't not actually growing fast, more steady like the Midwest.

AL 5.1%
LA 2.7%
KY 3.8%
AR 3.3%

The South Sunbelt Boom it's mostly to 3 clusters

1. TX/Ok
2. Florida
3. Piedmont cities

GA 10.6% "Fastest growing in the piedmont"
NC 9.5% "Fastest growing in the piedmont"
SC 10.7% "SC is actually fast pretty divided but piedmont is rapidly growly"

The Only exception to this is Nashville, SC coast. and maybe Huntsville..... otherwise of the Southern Sunbelt is Tx/Ok, Florida, Piedmont cities.

So saying Charlotte has a lot of "transplanted" of course it does is... that regional behavior of the fast growing cities on the piedmont. That maybe different from AL, or MS but sounds like GA, and SC.

To say Atlanta and The NC cities are not connected you basically saying it's all a giant amazing coincidence.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:26 AM

8,521 posts, read 4,759,184 times
I’m still not really getting a handle on what the “mid-Atlantic” is. Being fairly new to the East coast there’s a lot of dividing lines/subregions which are really hazy in my mind, and seem superfluous to me because I don’t know what constitutes any of these subregions or what to look for/how to recognize them.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:59 PM

4,609 posts, read 6,443,327 times
I just learned there is a Mid-Atlantic Christian University in Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Old 01-28-2024, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I just learned there is a Mid-Atlantic Christian University in Elizabeth City, North Carolina
and I just google and found out there few companies called mid-atlantic in Georgia......

Old 01-28-2024, 04:45 AM

What I'm was trying to point out is besides Texas, and Nashville, For Most part the South Atlantic is already the most populated, faster growing, more diverse, and most politically purple part of the South.

And the group metro areas Atlanta to Raleigh form a megalopolis region on the piedmont.

You can take out MD and Northern VA. But most of VA to Florida is the South Atlantic.

South Atlantic states

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.