Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 09:00 AM

521 posts, read 256,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Nobody calls anything the "South Atlantic", though, Census Bureau be damned. It's not a recognized subregion in any speech. I live in North Carolina (Raleigh), that's not a part of lingo or characterization here...

For the record, neither is Mid-Atlantic, no one here considers this anything but the South...

The Mid-Atlantic in practicality is the DC/Bmore Capital region and surrounding areas with cultural and economic ties to that region. All of VA's most populated areas are Mid-Atlantic...
repped. Growing up in Texas I definitely thought everything from Nova to NYC was mid-Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 09:05 AM

17,251 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I stayed in North Carolina for about 5 months. It definitely felt like the south to me
Yeah... I spent a lot of time in Charlotte, and other parts of NC in these past few years, and it certainly felt like "the deep South" to me. No different than Georgia.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:07 AM

521 posts, read 256,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yeah... I spent a lot of time in Charlotte, and other parts of NC in these past few years, and it certainly felt like "the deep South" to me. No different than Georgia.
I believe it's Nascar HQ, which is pretty southern imo

Old 02-03-2024, 11:57 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
How are you defining "the deep South" because that's really not Charlotte. The Piedmont South, where Charlotte is located, ismt generally considered the deep South. That's mostly, but not exclusively, the lower coastal plain South. In NC, that's eastern NC (east of I-95 more or less). In Georgia, that's the southern half of the state which is roughly south of the fall line that runs through Augusta, Macon, and Columbus but I'd extend it up to include southernmost metro Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
I believe it's Nascar HQ, which is pretty southern imo
NASCAR is headquartered in Daytona Beach but Charlotte does host corporate offices and the hall of fame is located there.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:21 PM

18 posts, read 11,080 times
North Carolina is too far south to be considered the dividing line between the North and South. In Virginia, there is a lot of Southern culture as far north as Winchester.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:26 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Nobody calls anything the "South Atlantic", though, Census Bureau be damned. It's not a recognized subregion in any speech. I live in North Carolina (Raleigh), that's not a part of lingo or characterization here...

For the record, neither is Mid-Atlantic, no one here considers this anything but the South...

The Mid-Atlantic in practicality is the DC/Bmore Capital region and surrounding areas with cultural and economic ties to that region. All of VA's most populated areas are Mid-Atlantic...
The mid Atlantic is the Northeast outside of New England. New York to North Virginia.

What I learn is each sub region in the South refers to themself as the The South ignoring the others. That how you end up with West Virginia and Louisiana referring to themself as Southern culture though there is a difference. Yes your right That's my point "South Atlantic" should be a more used term, politically, cultural and geographically. There is good reason for it but it's really not used outside the census cause Most of South Atlantic states just broadly refer to themself as just the South. Until is contrasted with other areas of the South like Texas. There no English colonial cities in Texas-Louisiana etc. There's no Blu ridge Mountains.

This another way to look at it

Region Population Percentage
Northeast.. 57,243,423 .. 17.2%
Midwest... 68,850,246 ... 20.7%
West........ 78,602,026 .. 23.7%
South....... 127,353,282... 38.4%

The West and The South are broad areas because 100 plus years ago these were the less populated regions of the country. The South was never monolithic but it being one of less populated areas created justification for generalizing. but now the situation flip on it's head "the South" is actually lightly more people then Northeast and Midwest combined and growing. but yet this large, populated area is hold to more than any other region as standard purity to what region is.

There debates over what is "The south" but you never heard that Boston is not the Northeast because it's New England. People know that New England is sub region of the Northeast. But that basically how South is being define.

The South the most populous region of the country 127 million is basically being define as "deep South not deep South" which is ridiculous. And States that meet this outdated monolithic stereotype the least are question are there southern at all.

When people point the cultural difference is Texas, Florida, Virginia, Louisiana, North Carolina etc. they are not wrong, but that doesn't mean there are not Southern but rather they different sub regions of the South.

Otherwise sub regions of the South are not talked about enough, The South is being generalize as monolithic. And because it's generalized as monolithic leads to Some states being outcast as not southernern enough. Which would not happen if subregion were recognized more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.