Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2023, 11:19 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
I've only been to Maryland a handful of times but did go to Leonardstown once for crabbing -- it felt very southern to me. Dark chocolate-skinned country blacks with deep drawls. The rest of mainland Maryland does not appear very southern and definitely not the Baltimore-Washington corridor where most of the residents concentrate - both historically and in modern times.
Omg, these are some of the most ridiculous stereotypes I have ever seen.

Again the south is not that.

Yall really think the sixth is just a bunch of lazy ***** boos dancing for watermelon?

that is not us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 11:20 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
I've only been to Maryland a handful of times but did go to Leonardstown once for crabbing -- it felt very southern to me. Dark chocolate-skinned country blacks with deep drawls. The rest of mainland Maryland does not appear very southern and definitely not the Baltimore-Washington corridor where most of the residents concentrate - both historically and in modern times.
I only interacted with White people in Leonardtown (just realized there is no "S") but it gave me huge Huckleberry Finn vibes.

Hughesvile is north of there but also felt very southern.

Old 06-14-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Omg, these are some of the most ridiculous stereotypes I have ever seen.

Again the south is not that.

Yall really think the sixth is just a bunch of lazy ***** boos dancing for watermelon?

that is not us
-_- Ok...

so there are no dark skin blacks with southern accents, it's not country, it's not hillbillies, your just rewriting the south identity and populace to only include parts you're like not... ashamed of or something?

No one even remotely mentioned lazy or watermelons or any slurs, my guy. You're internalizing and projecting and its awkward.

Old 06-14-2023, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 3,494 times
Registered to post in this thread. I'm a long time lurker.

I 50:50 agree with the OP. I live in WNC and there's absolutely no way that the area I'm in is anything but Appalachia (which is much different than full on Southern culture).

When I drive on I-81 even all the way up to NY State + Vermont: the accent will change, sure, but it all looks relatively similar. The biggest difference is that the southern Appalachian region takes more cultural influence from what many in this thread would deem "The South", while the northern Appalachian region takes more cultural influence from what many in here would deem "The Northeast". That isn't to say that Appalachia isn't its own thing though.

Charlotte is definitely just a corporate hodgepodge area so there isn't really a distinct "culture". However, travel all the way down to Charleston and you'll see that city is 100% coastal Southern. No denying that.

Old 06-14-2023, 01:56 PM

327 posts, read 222,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevillianWNC View Post
Registered to post in this thread. I'm a long time lurker.

I 50:50 agree with the OP. I live in WNC and there's absolutely no way that the area I'm in is anything but Appalachia (which is much different than full on Southern culture).

When I drive on I-81 even all the way up to NY State + Vermont: the accent will change, sure, but it all looks relatively similar. The biggest difference is that the southern Appalachian region takes more cultural influence from what many in this thread would deem "The South", while the northern Appalachian region takes more cultural influence from what many in here would deem "The Northeast". That isn't to say that Appalachia isn't its own thing though.

Charlotte is definitely just a corporate hodgepodge area so there isn't really a distinct "culture". However, travel all the way down to Charleston and you'll see that city is 100% coastal Southern. No denying that.
Again, Charlotte, Durham and Raleigh are stereotyped for being less Southern than Birmingham and Montgomery because, by comparison, the major cities in NC have excessive concentrations of foreign immigrants and non-Southern transplants, which does make those cities less culturally Southern than cities where the original culture is still more in tact (see Birmingham and Montgomery). This phenomenon is not limited to the South, either.

When you are employed by a major corporation with an international presence, you will find that a plurality of your colleagues in North Carolina are originally from China, India, Nigeria, etc. If those colleagues were born in America, then there is a greater likelihood of them being originally from California, New York or Massachusetts than North Carolina (or another Southern state). From a relocation standpoint, it has been my experience that real Southerners prefer Georgia and Tennessee to North Carolina.

Additionally, there are well over one million Hispanic people, primarily from Cuba, Mexico and and the Central American countries, living in North Carolina as of 2023. If you are single and surf the online dating applications while visiting the North Carolina cities, you will find that every third profile belongs to a recent Hispanic immigrant. On social media websites, I am now receiving Spanish-language advertisements from realtors in Charlotte, probably directed at potential transplants from Florida. Hardly what I would call "Southern."

Old 06-14-2023, 02:12 PM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times
Richmond is more mid-atlantic than NOVA. NOVA's culture is a lack of one distinct, identifiable culture. You all conflate being transplant heavy with being mid-atlantic.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:16 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Richmond is more mid-atlantic than NOVA. NOVA's culture is a lack of one distinct, identifiable culture. You all conflate being transplant heavy with being mid-atlantic.
Lol, dude - when was the last time you went to Richmond? It's not Alabama but it's definitely southern. When we went to lunch our waiter literally asked us if we wanted to try their sweet tea - to be fair we weren't in the city we were in Short Pump which is a suburb of Richmond but the whole area feels southern to me especially the suburbs directly outside of Richmond.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:20 PM

35 posts, read 29,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
There's nothing northern about NC. The "de-southing" of NC is something I noticed recently.
I agree. It’s kinda weird. As someone who grew up in the Carolinas, I find it interesting. Another 20 to 25 years, South Carolina will be questioned as well.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post

Additionally, there are well over one million Hispanic people, primarily from Cuba, Mexico and and the Central American countries, living in North Carolina as of 2023. If you are single and surf the online dating applications while visiting the North Carolina cities, you will find that every third profile belongs to a recent Hispanic immigrant. On social media websites, I am now receiving Spanish-language advertisements from realtors in Charlotte, probably directed at potential transplants from Florida. Hardly what I would call "Southern."
The South cant have large Hispanic populations? Houston? Texas? Florida?

Old 06-14-2023, 02:44 PM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol, dude - when was the last time you went to Richmond? It's not Alabama but it's definitely southern. When we went to lunch our waiter literally asked us if we wanted to try their sweet tea - to be fair we weren't in the city we were in Short Pump which is a suburb of Richmond but the whole area feels southern to me especially the suburbs directly outside of Richmond.
Richmond can be both southern and Mid-Atlantic. Using sweet tea, Wawa, Wegmans or whatever else to denote culture is a fruitless argument. Richmond has Wawa, Wegmans, Publix, Kroger, Cookout, shake shack and is getting a royal farms in the metro. They even have a fat burger...it just means there's money to be made.

FWIW, I've never been to a restaurant in Virginia period where they ask you to specifically try sweet tea. If anecdotes mean anything. I'd also be inclined to believe that if there's a market for sweet tea in short pump then there is probably one for it in Loudon too, regardless of if it's sold there or not. I do believe I've bought sweet tea all the up to Baltimore before, though it may be less readily available.

Last edited by mpier015; 06-14-2023 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.