Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2023, 03:23 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,054,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
The Reno MSA gained Lyon County, which feels right. Still doesn't have Carson City, which feels strange.
That is very strange!

Reno and Carson City are, for all intents and purposes, a single metropolitan region!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 04:01 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
That is very strange!

Reno and Carson City are, for all intents and purposes, a single metropolitan region!
Yeah if it were up to me and I could ignore commuting patterns, it'd be:

MSA

Washoe
Storey
Lyon
Carson City
Douglas (the Carson-Douglas border runs through a strip mall, it'd be weird to only include one)

(would include the other counties ringing Tahoe but those are in the Sac MSA)

CSA

Churchill
Alpine CA
Sierra CA
Plumas CA
maybe Lassen CA --- weird edge case; the populated parts of Lassen are nowhere close to Reno, but it feels weird to have to drive through the not-CSA (Lassen) to get to the CSA (Plumas)

Old 07-24-2023, 04:19 PM

458 posts, read 350,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Cleveland resurpassed Indianapolis it seems so that’s interesting (due to both Cle gaining a county and Indy losing one)
I don't think any city suffers from the OMB's statistical bylaws more than Cleveland. Folks on this website often think that it's a peer of cities like Indy and CBUS because of that MSA number. I think it's misleading. I truly believe that if the Cuyahoga National Forest didn't great a black out zone for development between Cleveland and Akron they would be one single UA, and Cleveland's position among the City/MSA hierarchy would be far less vague.

Cleveland's CSA has 3,615,968* people in 6,437 sq mi. The Twin Cities MSA has 3,690,512* in 7000+ sq mi. With context obviously I know MSP is the bigger UA and more centralized region. I'm not necessarily saying that Cleveland belongs next to MSP on a comparison list. I do think that amount of people within it's sphere of influence should be considered when discussing Cleveland though.

*Numbers taken from census reporter website.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:26 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
I don't think any city suffers from the OMB's statistical bylaws more than Cleveland. Folks on this website often think that it's a peer of cities like Indy and CBUS because of that MSA number. I think it's misleading. I truly believe that if the Cuyahoga National Forest didn't great a black out zone for development between Cleveland and Akron they would be one single UA, and Cleveland's position among the City/MSA hierarchy would be far less vague.

Cleveland's CSA has 3,615,968* people in 6,437 sq mi. The Twin Cities MSA has 3,690,512* in 7000+ sq mi. With context obviously I know MSP is the bigger UA and more centralized region. I'm not necessarily saying that Cleveland belongs next to MSP on a comparison list. I do think that amount of people within it's sphere of influence should be considered when discussing Cleveland though.

Totally agree. It's one of the most misunderstood places in many ways. I think CLE does belong in comparisons with MSP though, easily. Columbus is not a peer.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:33 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post

2,164,000 people live in 3 counties in the twin cities over 1137sq miles. In 5 counties it hits 3,000,000 at just over 2,000 sq miles.

When people do that sort of geographic nonsense it’s kind of silly because unless you’re talking Indy vs Cleveland where the metros have nearly the same population, all that excess 5,000 sq miles doesn’t have many people. Those “5,000 sq miles†added to make Minneapolis seem unfairly sprawly has a population similar to Ramsey County.

The idea Cleveland is clearly ahead of Indy is the fact counties are too big and the rounding error is in Indy’s favor but Cleveland’s detriment. But that’s *maybe* a 6-9% thing. It does not excuse adding an extra 1.5 million people. So instead of 2.165 vs 2.135 it’s like 2.350 vs 1.960 million, making Cleveland ~35-40% bigger than Indy

Old 07-24-2023, 04:59 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The newest building was completed in 2017 or 2018.
Noted. Pre Pandemic.
And the oldest?

Old 07-24-2023, 05:52 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Noted. Pre Pandemic.
And the oldest?
Late 80s.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:08 PM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Okeechobee is 110 miles from Miami. 130 miles by car wow.
Right. Textbook definition of the word stretch.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:38 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Late 80s.
Not a total gotcha but yea.. the complex was built when 128 was booming in the 80s. A little expansion of the office complex for more modern digs is normal.

EOD Boston is a super concentrated metro to a fault in more ways than one. Amenities and transti options ought to be better in more areas and then it could really decentralize. Look at what the WMATA does for DC (peep the Silver Line extension there). brings cost down, increases population and increases prosperity.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:10 PM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
This is so weird!

Okeechobee? I don't think anybody in the Miami metro even knows where that is!

(Well we know it's probably near the Lake!)
Damn near Central Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.