Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2023, 07:21 PM

729 posts, read 1,299,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As for Okeechobee being added to Miami MSA, LOL. 10 miles south of Yeehaw Junction (which is in Osceola County in the Orlando MSA), you are entering Miami CSA with over 155 miles to go to Miami and 80 miles to go to West Palm Beach. It's already hilarious that Indian River County is now included into Miami CSA. But now you add Okeechobee?
At this rate, they might as well allow Miami to complete the set and make S. Florida to officially include (Manatee, Hardee, Highlands, Okeechobee & Indian River down to the keys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 08:47 PM

856 posts, read 693,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I know of two MSA’s that were combined into one CSA, and the expanse of farmland and swampy wilderness one must traverse in the 43 miles between the two principal cities are an example of why CSA’s are even worse than MSA’s for assessing size. Like CSA’s, MSA’s include rural areas. I’m a UA guy - urban area.
I basically was an MSA guy until I saw these updated borders.

I myself go with the demographia urban areas (the census UAs are often split up but Demographia puts them together)

http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf

Old 07-24-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
CSA’s are fine as long as the base unit (the county or equivalent) is stable and consistent. I’d have to study Connecticut’s new setup, but on the surface I’m not sure if we are dealing with apples and oranges, or apples and baseballs.
CSA is what I use to compare concert/entertainment/sports markets (I’m more interested in concert markets than labor markets in the first place, especially since labor markets are becoming semi-obsolete thanks to Covid)

Old 07-24-2023, 09:03 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I don’t even know what a concert market is.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I don’t even know what a concert market is.
Subset of entertainment market. I like following concert tours and “markets” are where they play to draw crowds (just like sports markets)

Old 07-24-2023, 09:59 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
But different concerts play in different markets for different reasons. Taylor Swift played Kansas City but not DC. San Fran got Stevie Nicks but not Billy Joel. How would you even try and make sense of that?

Old 07-24-2023, 10:09 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Urban areas that abut each other don’t make sense to me. Concord and Charlotte’s UA share a miles-long border without any room between them. Does Concord keep a separate UA simply for historical reasons?
Yes. If I recall the way it works correctly, if Concord's urban area's population or population density drops below the specified thresholds, it would then become eligible to become absorbed into Charlotte's.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:44 PM

994 posts, read 779,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
2,164,000 people live in 3 counties in the twin cities over 1137sq miles. In 5 counties it hits 3,000,000 at just over 2,000 sq miles.

When people do that sort of geographic nonsense it’s kind of silly because unless you’re talking Indy vs Cleveland where the metros have nearly the same population, all that excess 5,000 sq miles doesn’t have many people. Those “5,000 sq miles” added to make Minneapolis seem unfairly sprawly has a population similar to Ramsey County.

The idea Cleveland is clearly ahead of Indy is the fact counties are too big and the rounding error is in Indy’s favor but Cleveland’s detriment. But that’s *maybe* a 6-9% thing. It does not excuse adding an extra 1.5 million people. So instead of 2.165 vs 2.135 it’s like 2.350 vs 1.960 million, making Cleveland ~35-40% bigger than Indy
Cleveland-Akron hits 2.11 million in 1,300 square miles in three counties. Cleveland-Akron-Canton hits just short of 3 million in 2,500 square miles if you are going by the most populated contiguous counties. Seems pretty similar to Minneapolis-St. Paul to me, regardless of what the census says. Minneapolis and St. Paul are counted as one; Cleveland-Akron-Canton are counted as three .

Urban Area wise, Cleveland-Elyria-Akron is 2.6 million in 1199 square miles; Minneapolis-St. Paul is 2.9 million in 1021 square miles. MSP is bigger there, but not by much, in comparison to the next tier (would probably be St. Louis ... not Indy)

According to the citypopulation site (won't link), MSP is the No. 172 urban agglomerate in the world at 3.3 million; Cleveland is No. 181 at 3.1 million.

Last edited by ClevelandBrown; 07-24-2023 at 10:56 PM..

Old 07-24-2023, 10:53 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
  • Atlanta MSA loses Lamar
  • Chicago MSA loses Kenosha
  • Cincinnati MSA loses Union
  • Cleveland MSA GAINS Ashtabula
  • Fresno MSA GAINS Madera
  • Houston MSA GAINS San Jacinto
  • Indianapolis MSA loses Putnam, GAINS Tipton
  • Louisville MSA GAINS Meade, Nelson
  • Memphis MSA GAINS Benton
  • Nashville MSA GAINS Hickman
  • New Orleans MSA loses Saint Tammany (holy moly, that’s huge!)
  • New York MSA loses Pike
  • Pittsburgh MSA GAINS Lawrence
  • Virginia Beach MSA loses Franklin city and Southampton, GAINS Surry
  • Washington MSA loses Calvert

Those were the changes I quick glanced for the Top 50 metros

Boy, did Cleveland lose!

I live in Cincinnati and I have no idea where Union is

Old 07-24-2023, 10:56 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

I just want to know what the purpose of spending time and our money to do this mess???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.