Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 08:42 AM

681 posts, read 413,798 times

Advertisements

Having studied the demographics of the rust belt, I've always noticed something consistent with the local populations of heavily industrial cities and towns, and that is, they are almost always predominately Catholic, and to a lesser extent Eastern Orthodox (who are a very rare demographic anywhere else in the country). Out of interest for US geography, I just wondered if anyone knew the reasoning behind this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 09:48 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
My initial guess would be those cities grew out when immigrants from Eastern and Southern Europe were at it’s peak.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:51 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,193,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Having studied the demographics of the rust belt, I've always noticed something consistent with the local populations of heavily industrial cities and towns, and that is, they are almost always predominately Catholic, and to a lesser extent Eastern Orthodox (who are a very rare demographic anywhere else in the country). Out of interest for US geography, I just wondered if anyone knew the reasoning behind this.
Since you're talking about the Rust Belt, I'm going to assume you're primarily referring to European Catholics. Anyway, the main reason for this is that European immigration to America was at its highest during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and said immigrants were drawn to job opportunities in America's largest cities. During the 1880 census, 7 out of the 10 largest cities were in the Northeast and Midwest; in 1890 it was 8 out 10; in 1900 it was 8 out of 10, in 1910 it was 9 out of 10; and in 1920 it was 8 out of 10.

Due to that, the draw isn't the Rust Belt itself but the former economic prominence and size of legacy Rust Belt cities in the Midwest and the Northeast. These regions are also becoming less Catholic as time goes on, whereas the South and Western regions are becoming more Catholic due to Latino immigration. The South is currently the most Catholic region by overall percentage, although that is in large part due to Texas and Florida.

Some interesting quirks outside of European immigration are the Armenians of Los Angeles and the Lebanese of Detroit. Los Angeles has the largest Armenian population in the country, but there are also communities in the Northeast and Midwest. It should be noted that the Armenian Church isn't Eastern Orthodox but rather Oriental Orthodox. It's a long story. As for the Lebanese of Detroit, they are predominantly Maronite Catholics, which is an Eastern form of Catholicism that is very similar to Eastern Orthodox. Another long story.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:51 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
In the old days it was because that Eastern Europeans went where there were loads of low skilled jobs that paid decently.

Now days, immigrants from Latin America fill that void.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:09 AM

461 posts, read 351,912 times
I would suppose it would depend on what blue collar communities you are specifically referring to. It shouldn't be that much of a mystery though. The United States was largely settled by European immigrants. Catholicism has always been the largest denomination in Christianity so it should make sense that it would translate to Catholics being the largest religious make up. I don't think this is particularly endemic to the Rust Belt or "blue collar industrial cities".

The Midwest, and in particular the upper Midwest has a heavy German influence(especially Michigan/Wisconsin etc.) There's a heavy Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist influence in these places and they are only dominated by Catholics in pockets. Even in places where it's majority Catholic we are only talking maybe majority by a small margin, with the other denominations making up the rest.

I think this thread is based on a perceived concept that doesn't match the reality of the actual make up and culture the OP is referring to. Maybe at one point it did? If anything in my experience the coastal cities are FAR more predominantly Catholic in comparison to the blue collar/ Rust Belt areas which tend to be denomination soup. Few exceptions being the French settled cities like Louisville where Catholicism is a very noticeable part of the culture.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:19 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Southern/Eastern Europe sent loads of poor immigrants. Most Protestant immigrants from Germany/England were more well off.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:24 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,193,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In the old days it was because that Eastern Europeans went where there were loads of low skilled jobs that paid decently.

Now days, immigrants from Latin America fill that void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Southern/Eastern Europe sent loads of poor immigrants. Most Protestant immigrants from Germany/England were more well off.
Let's keep in mind that Germany sent plenty of Catholics to America, and there's also the Irish.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,155,264 times
The simple concept of- "everyone has to eat"

That is it.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:51 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
"dominated" is a stretch

The most Catholic states are in New England: Rhode Island and Massachusetts are #1 and 2.

But to answer your question: time.

Until the 1840s immigration was mostly protestant. And until the 1840s, there was only one place in the US that was industralized: the northeast.

Between the famine, wars of German unification (which affected Poles), and wars of Italian unification, 1840-1920 there were a whole lot of Catholic immigrants. They went to where there were jobs: industrialized cities in the northeast and later midwest. (and a lot of Lutheran German immigrants, which is a big reason German is the #1 ancestry in the midwest)

N=2, my 3rd great grandpa was born in county Mayo in the 1870s then was living in Wilkes-Barre, PA by 1880. His son moved to SE Michigan in the 1920s. My 4th great grandpa was born in Hesse in the 1840s. Immigrated in NJ in 1865, moved to SE Michigan in the 1880s.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:13 AM

6,464 posts, read 3,154,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Since you're talking about the Rust Belt, I'm going to assume you're primarily referring to European Catholics. Anyway, the main reason for this is that European immigration to America was at its highest during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and said immigrants were drawn to job opportunities in America's largest cities. During the 1880 census, 7 out of the 10 largest cities were in the Northeast and Midwest; in 1890 it was 8 out 10; in 1900 it was 8 out of 10, in 1910 it was 9 out of 10; and in 1920 it was 8 out of 10.

Due to that, the draw isn't the Rust Belt itself but the former economic prominence and size of legacy Rust Belt cities in the Midwest and the Northeast. These regions are also becoming less Catholic as time goes on, whereas the South and Western regions are becoming more Catholic due to Latino immigration. The South is currently the most Catholic region by overall percentage, although that is in large part due to Texas and Florida.

Some interesting quirks outside of European immigration are the Armenians of Los Angeles and the Lebanese of Detroit. Los Angeles has the largest Armenian population in the country, but there are also communities in the Northeast and Midwest. It should be noted that the Armenian Church isn't Eastern Orthodox but rather Oriental Orthodox. It's a long story. As for the Lebanese of Detroit, they are predominantly Maronite Catholics, which is an Eastern form of Catholicism that is very similar to Eastern Orthodox. Another long story.
Pretty well explains the situation, from where I sit......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.