Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:10 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,502,395 times

Advertisements

Since there's been quite a few threads destined to start arguments, I thought we could do something a little more relaxed and fun.

Since I live in Westchester County, I guess I'll do some Westchester.

You know you're from Westchester when...
The students in your school drive nicer cars than the teachers.

You tried to use the metro-north commuter pass of your parents when going to the city with friends, only to have the conductor point out that it is a commuter pass for a member of the opposite sex.

You say that you are 15 minutes outside the city, regardless of where you live.

You drove a Honda in 10th Grade and everyone called it the "Ghettomobile."

Your parents (knowingly) supplied the alcohol for your last big party.

Your sixteenth birthday present: Jeep, or your mom's old BMW.

You know you have to act tough when going to The Galleria, or else you might get shot.

A trip into NYC for a day is your idea of "getting away from it all."

You think anyone who lives south of New Jersey is a hick.

The cleaning lady had to teach you to do your laundry when you went away to college.

You have to schedule in time to see your father.

(Girls only) 116 lbs=fat as a cow.

You're homophobic.

You're scared of New Rochelle (Wykagyl excluded) and Mt. Vernon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 04:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
I live in San Diego but grew up in the Bay Area so..

You know you're from the Bay Area when:

Your co-worker tells you she has 8 body piercings but none are visible.

When someone says TENDERLOIN - you don't think of steak. You think of danger.

You make over $100,000 and still can't afford a house.

You can't remember....is pot illegal?

You've been to more than one baby shower that has two mothers and a sperm donor.

You have a very strong opinion where your coffee beans are grown and can taste the difference between Sumatran and Ethiopian.

A really great parking space can move you to tears.

You know that anyone wearing shorts in April is just visiting from Ohio.

You assume every company offers domestic partner benefits.

Your boss runs in "The Bay to Breakers"....it's the first time you have seen him nude.

Your child's 3rd grade teacher has two pierced ears, a nose ring and is named "Breeze." And, after telling that to a friend, they still need to ask if the teacher is male or female.

You are thinking of taking an adult class but you can't decide between yoga, aromatherapy, conversational Mandarin or a building your own website class.

You haven't been to Fisherman's Wharf since the first month you moved to SF and you couldn't figure out how to drive to Coit Tower if your life depended on it.

A man walks on MUNI in full leather regalia and crotchless chaps. You don't notice.

A woman walks on MUNI with live poultry. You don't notice.

You think any guy with a George Clooney haircut must be visiting from the Midwest.

You know that any woman with a George Clooney haircut is not a tourist.

You keep a list of companies to boycott.

Your hairdresser is straight, your plumber is gay, the woman who delivers your mail is straight and your Mary Kay Lady is a guy in drag.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Since I've been in San Diego for close to 8 years I'll do one for it too:
YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM SAN DIEGO WHEN.....

1. You can correctly pronounce Tierrasanta, La Jolla, Rancho Penesquitos, San Ysidro Otay Mesa, Jamul, and El Cajon, and know where they are.

2. There are four distinct seasons: Summer, Not Quite Summer, Almost Summer, and oh, Hey look its summer again.

3. Your high school had a surf team.

4. Chula-juana is a real town, as well as San Yskidrow, Spun Alley, and Nasty City.

5. Your house is worth more than some small countries.

6. You know what MB, OB, and PB stand for.

7. Every street name is either in Spanish or Spanish related, and you're surprised when other areas dont have this.

8. You can determine the accuracy of someone's "I'm ghetto" claim by knowing their high school. for example: El Camino High School, or Crawford High.

9. You see weather forecasts for four different climate zones in the same county, and aren't remotely surprised.

10. You've gone to Mt. Helix in July and know you still need a jacket.

11. You remember going to "The Cross" on Mt. Helix for Easter services. 60 degrees is COLD!

12. You've tailgated at Qualcomm Stadium, and for bonus points, also tailgated when it was Jack Murphy Stadium.

13. You know that "charge!" doesn't refer to a credit card.

14. You remember going downtown via Federal Blvd. before Hwy 94 was built.

15. You remember when Hwy 94 was 2 lanes in each direction.

16. You've been on a field trip to see an Imax movie at the Rueben H. Fleet Space Center.

17. You still call it the Del Mar Fair.

18. You say "I'm going to the track" and people know what your talking about.

19. You say "I'm going to the park" and people know what you mean.

20. You remember when 'Lemon Grove', 'La Mesa', and 'Spring Valley' were "in the sticks"

21. You understand what may-gray and june-gloom means.

22. A famous skateboarder/surfer lives in your town,

23. Theres a North County, South County, and an East County but no Central County.

24. You know what it means when a girl in a short skirt is walking on El Cajon Blvd.

25. You've gotten stuck in the Horton Plaza parking structure traffic after a Padres game.

26. You know what "the merge" is, and will plan your entire day around not being on it during rush hour.

27. You know the difference between clairmont mesa, kearny mesa, and mira mesa.

28. You've stayed home from school or work, because "It's Raining!".

29. You've gone to sea world on a warm day and sat in the first few rows at the shamu show to get cooled off.

30. You've been delayed at the Border Checkpoints on the 5, the 8 and the 15.

31. Your house doesn't have or need air conditioning unless you live in the East County.

32. No matter what the weather is, there is always someone walking around in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops.

33. You've been to the desert, the mountains, and the beach all in one day.

34. You know that Santee, and Lakeside is where the 'cowboys' live.

35. You know why Hillcrest is known as 'the swish alps'.

36. You hate tourists and their bad driving. (But you don't know how to drive in the rain.)

37. You've gone to the Zoo just to hang out.

38. You have family or friends that have moved to Arizona, Nevada, Utah or Colorado.

39. You know someone who doesn't own pants.

40. You know what the 'Santa Anas' are, and that they have nothing to do with the city of Santa Ana.

41. You know what 'real mexican food' tastes like.

42. You remember when 'Mission Valley' was cow pastures (Oh...to have bought land then!)

43. You remember when Lemon Grove had "the cows"

Old 07-25-2008, 04:26 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post

You're scared of New Rochelle (Wykagyl excluded) and Mt. Vernon.
Why are you afraid of New Rochelle and Mt. Vernon? i go there a lot - im not very scarred of them - what's scary about them?

Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Why are you afraid of New Rochelle and Mt. Vernon? i go there a lot - im not very scarred of them - what's scary about them?
this is all tongue in cheek and just comical observations and stereotypes and not really meant to stir debate....

Old 07-25-2008, 05:12 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
You know you're from Northeastern Pennsylvania when...
  1. You smile and wave to your neighbors in your subdivision but then gossip about them behind their backs.
  2. You think a $30,000 salary is "big bucks."
  3. You think college is a waste of money.
  4. You grip your purse more tightly when you see a young African-American male approaching you.
  5. You think "diversity" means either Italian-American or Irish-American.
  6. You live in a gated community in a township that has had only one homicide in the past fifty years.
  7. You are employed at a distribution center and drive a BMW.
  8. You are suspicious of local politicians but continue to vote straight Democrat on Election Day.
  9. You run out to the store the day before a "blizzard" of 2-4 inches of snow to buy milk, bread, and eggs for your very own French toast party!
  10. You are an outspoken homophobe in public but secretly cruise online gay personals sites.
  11. You think Scranton is "the big city."
  12. You claim that all malls are built on very large hills by saying "I'm going up da mall," even if you live at a higher elevation to the north.
  13. You resent people in NJ and NY for making more money than you do and for having a higher IQ.
  14. You prefer to eat at Olive Garden or Buca di Beppo over the dozens of classic mom-and-pop Italian eateries.
  15. You think all Mexicans are "dem der illegals."
  16. You gripe about your "high" property taxes of $1,500 per year.
  17. You gripe about traffic congestion but refuse to carpool or take mass transit.
  18. You live two hours from Manhattan or Philly but have only ever been to each perhaps a few times in your lifetime.
  19. You drive for fifty miles with your blinker on the entire time.
  20. You stop at yield signs and yield at stop signs.
  21. You drive 55 in a 55-zone in the left-hand lane on the freeways.
  22. You smoke two packs a day, buy lottery tickets, booze, etc. and then whine about being "poor."
  23. You think wearing grungy sweat pants to the mall is sexy.
  24. You think AC/DC is "new hit music."
  25. You dream of "the good 'ole days" while selling out your Main Streets to Wal-Mart.
  26. You are childless and drive a large gas-guzzling SUV "because I can."
  27. You think any man who takes care of his appearance is automatically a "flamer."
  28. You think being a Roman Catholic makes your superior to your Protestant neighbors.
  29. You blame "da mayor" for all of your own personal shortcomings in life.
  30. You didn't even know "The Office" was set in Scranton, yet thousands of tourists do.
  31. You ask "Innernet? What's that?"
  32. You proudly display an "OBX" license plate on the front of your vehicle without ever having visited NC.
  33. You display a Confederate flag bumper sticker without ever having visited the South.
  34. You will vote for Sen. Hillary Clinton but not for Sen. Barack Obama "because he's black."
  35. You are a registered Democrat yet are pro-life, pro-guns, pro-death penalty, anti-environment, and anti-gay civil rights.
  36. You have taken your children trick-or-treating at corner bars.
  37. You save $0 for your retirement and then expect the government to bail you out as you whine about being on a fixed income.
  38. You have lived in the same town your entire life.
  39. You still have a television with "rabbit ears."
  40. You develop cancer, along with everyone else in your neighborhood, at some point in your lifetime, while the DEP shrugs its shoulders and says "no big deal."
  41. You go to church mainly just to gossip about who's not in church.
  42. You think mullets are awesome.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:30 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
You know you're from Atlanta when:

- You still remember the 1996 Olympics, and brag that you had them in your town

- You know how to do the "tomahawk chop"

- You think drinking Pepsi is blasphemous

- You only fly Delta

- You know you have to bring comfortable walking shoes to go to the airport, and have to prepare for a long train ride to your departure concourse.

- You dress up just to go to the mall

- You know what VaHi and L5P stands for

- You eat at Waffle House at 3 a.m.

- You know what and where the Big Chicken is

- You know where the Downtown Connector, Spaghetti Junction, and the Cloverleaf Junction are, and know when to avoid them

- You know the difference between ITP and OTP

- You remember when Buckhead used to be the party spot on the weekends

- You remember the Freaknik, and you were either excited to go or avoided it

- You constantly check the weather, and complain that it's either too hot or too cold

- A day without a murder on the news is a good day

- Everyone you know attends a church

Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Since I've been in San Diego for close to 8 years I'll do one for it too:
YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM SAN DIEGO WHEN.....

1. You can correctly pronounce Tierrasanta, La Jolla, Rancho Penesquitos, San Ysidro Otay Mesa, Jamul, and El Cajon, and know where they are.

2. There are four distinct seasons: Summer, Not Quite Summer, Almost Summer, and oh, Hey look its summer again.

3. Your high school had a surf team.

4. Chula-juana is a real town, as well as San Yskidrow, Spun Alley, and Nasty City.

5. Your house is worth more than some small countries.

6. You know what MB, OB, and PB stand for.

7. Every street name is either in Spanish or Spanish related, and you're surprised when other areas dont have this.

8. You can determine the accuracy of someone's "I'm ghetto" claim by knowing their high school. for example: El Camino High School, or Crawford High.

9. You see weather forecasts for four different climate zones in the same county, and aren't remotely surprised.

10. You've gone to Mt. Helix in July and know you still need a jacket.

11. You remember going to "The Cross" on Mt. Helix for Easter services. 60 degrees is COLD!

12. You've tailgated at Qualcomm Stadium, and for bonus points, also tailgated when it was Jack Murphy Stadium.

13. You know that "charge!" doesn't refer to a credit card.

14. You remember going downtown via Federal Blvd. before Hwy 94 was built.

15. You remember when Hwy 94 was 2 lanes in each direction.

16. You've been on a field trip to see an Imax movie at the Rueben H. Fleet Space Center.

17. You still call it the Del Mar Fair.

18. You say "I'm going to the track" and people know what your talking about.

19. You say "I'm going to the park" and people know what you mean.

20. You remember when 'Lemon Grove', 'La Mesa', and 'Spring Valley' were "in the sticks"

21. You understand what may-gray and june-gloom means.

22. A famous skateboarder/surfer lives in your town,

23. Theres a North County, South County, and an East County but no Central County.

24. You know what it means when a girl in a short skirt is walking on El Cajon Blvd.

25. You've gotten stuck in the Horton Plaza parking structure traffic after a Padres game.

26. You know what "the merge" is, and will plan your entire day around not being on it during rush hour.

27. You know the difference between clairmont mesa, kearny mesa, and mira mesa.

28. You've stayed home from school or work, because "It's Raining!".

29. You've gone to sea world on a warm day and sat in the first few rows at the shamu show to get cooled off.

30. You've been delayed at the Border Checkpoints on the 5, the 8 and the 15.

31. Your house doesn't have or need air conditioning unless you live in the East County.

32. No matter what the weather is, there is always someone walking around in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops.

33. You've been to the desert, the mountains, and the beach all in one day.

34. You know that Santee, and Lakeside is where the 'cowboys' live.

35. You know why Hillcrest is known as 'the swish alps'.

36. You hate tourists and their bad driving. (But you don't know how to drive in the rain.)

37. You've gone to the Zoo just to hang out.

38. You have family or friends that have moved to Arizona, Nevada, Utah or Colorado.

39. You know someone who doesn't own pants.

40. You know what the 'Santa Anas' are, and that they have nothing to do with the city of Santa Ana.

41. You know what 'real mexican food' tastes like.

42. You remember when 'Mission Valley' was cow pastures (Oh...to have bought land then!)

43. You remember when Lemon Grove had "the cows"
It will always be the Del Mar Fair...still have a hard time adjusting to Qualcom too and I definately miss number 41!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:40 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,921 times
Since someone already did San Diego and Atl and I'm moving to Roanoke soon, I'll do one for Va so I'll be in the know (although none of these make sense to me yet!)

You know you are from Virginia if...
  • Speed limits are just suggestions
  • You have at least two friends who have no idea what their relatives do...because its "top secret" government work
  • Most of your senior class wend to Mason, JMU, Tech, VCU or UVA
  • When people ask where you're from, you tell them DC because its easier to explain
  • You've never told someone you're from Virginia without putting "northern," "central," or "southern" in front of it (See above.)
  • It's not actually tailgating unless your bumper is touching the car in front of you.
  • You know yellow light means at least 5 more cars can get through. (Yeah, man...at least. Probably also happens everywhere else.) A red light means 2 more can.
  • You actually know what the black boxes at stoplights are for.
  • Despite the fact that Virginia fought for the south in the Civil War, you are not, under any circumstances, a "southerner"
  • You are amused by visiting relatives who are actually excited to see Washington, DC
  • You took a field trip to Williamsburg as a kid
  • You are amazed when you go out of town and the people at McDonalds speak English
  • You or someone in your family has a Smart Tag
  • An inch of snow and you miss 3 days of school
  • All the potholes just add a little excitement to your driving experience
  • Crown Victoria = undercover cop
  • Subway is a fast food place. The transportation system is known as Metro, and only Metro.
  • They just tore down the old farm house across the street and put 12 new McMansions in its place
  • For the cost of your house, you could own a small town in Iowa
  • If you stay on the same road long enough, it will eventually have three new names.
  • You have to dial the area code to call your neighbor
  • "Vacation" means spending a day at King's Dominion or Busch Gardens.
  • "Going to the River" means any stream with water.
  • You have never been served tea without the waitress asking "sweet or unsweetened?"
  • Your favorite past time is telling West Virginia jokes.
  • Anyone who can't trace his or her ancestry back to at least four generations in Virginia is an outsider.
  • "Going to the beach" means going to Virginia Beach, Hatteras, or Nags Head.
  • You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Virginia.
Although I'm thinking this one might be more geared toward nova?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
this is all tongue in cheek and just comical observations and stereotypes and not really meant to stir debate....
...ok...sorry for asking a question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.