Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times

Advertisements

You know you're from Ohio if you. . .

wear a Buckeye shirt, drive a Przewalski's Horse, and shout for the Scarlett Horde as you bumrush a random bystander!

Sorry. Getting a little carried away.

Last edited by the_pines; 07-26-2008 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 05:59 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
No kidding. I don't get that either. I've not owned a car for most of my adult life, but for the brief period I did, I thought it was a given you had them around in case your battery died, I wasn't aware that it was considered a regional thing, just as there is nothing regional about, I don't know, putting gas in your car. Good grief.
I believe most (not the Wisconsin one though) of those say "You carry jumper cables in your car and your wife/girlfriend knows how to use them." I think it's the principle. Like Oregonians and Nebraskans, etc. are rough and tumble survivors who know how to deal with sh*t... Or something like that... Because they all know how to jump a car. I dunno.

But putting gas in your car IS regional, just f.y.i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
You know you're from Oregon when:

You go out of state and wait in your car for someone to pump your gas.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Default You might be in Oklahoma if...

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Oklahoma .
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Oklahoma plus a couple no one's seen before. (I still hate Fiddlebacks!)
4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.
5. Onced and twiced are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy
7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic.
8. People actually grow and eat okra. (I ate some today.)
9. Fixinto is one word
10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.
11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar! (Grandma always made it so sugary it was like syrup to pour.)
12. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'
13. 'Jeet?' is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?' (I sadly admit that I actually talk like this.)
14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you' re done or it's too dark to see.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM OKLAHOMA IF:
1. You measure distance in minutes.
2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' during the same day.
3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store'.
4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.
7. You carry jumper cables in your pickup...for your OWN pickup.
8. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.We make our own B-B- Que Sauce !!!
9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports. (Sooner Football is the only professional team we need.)
10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.
12. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.
13. You know whether another okie is from, north or south as soon as they open their mouth.
14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' Wal-martin' or goin to "Wally-world"..
15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good pinto-bean weather. Best meal in the world is Beans, Fried Potatoes and Hot Cornbread and Butter !!! AMEN TO THAT!!
16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop. it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?' Answer: "Dr. Pepper."
17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
18. We don't need no stinking driver's ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

But putting gas in your car IS regional, just f.y.i.
I'm well aware of some states requiring someone else to pump your gas (I thought it was just new jersey, I didn't realize Oregon had the same thing), but the act buying gas for your car is not regional (regardless of if the gas ends up in your gas tank by your hands or someone elses). Forgive me for not using the correct words, however despite the hair splitting semantics you are focused on, I believe my point was quite clearly made based on the response I've received from others.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryclinker View Post
We don't do number 9, we just say "yep" after someone else tells us "Thank you"

And about 11, this is cornhole
That just seems very rude to me. As far as cornhole, it has popular here for a few years now. I'm guessing it came with some of the transplants since I hadn't heard of it before I saw it at an event about 4 years ago.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Top signs you're in South Central Kentucky

1. You can't find a tow truck driver until the NASCAR race is over (this actually happened to me a couple years ago)

2. Your county's highest ratied tv shows are Monster Trucks or Bull Riding

3. Upper Middle class = double wide trailer
Lower Middle class = single wide trailer

4. If you've ever been in a "Trouse" (a trailer that's been added on to, ei trailer-house)

5. Your house has as many mounted deer heads on the walls as pictures
How funny! All in good fun

Old 07-27-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Oklahoma .
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Oklahoma plus a couple no one's seen before. (I still hate Fiddlebacks!)
4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.
5. Onced and twiced are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy
7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic.
8. People actually grow and eat okra. (I ate some today.)
9. Fixinto is one word
10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.
11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar! (Grandma always made it so sugary it was like syrup to pour.)
12. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'
13. 'Jeet?' is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?' (I sadly admit that I actually talk like this.)
14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you' re done or it's too dark to see.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM OKLAHOMA IF:
1. You measure distance in minutes.
2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' during the same day.
3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store'.
4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.
7. You carry jumper cables in your pickup...for your OWN pickup.
8. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.We make our own B-B- Que Sauce !!!
9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports. (Sooner Football is the only professional team we need.)
10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.
12. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.
13. You know whether another okie is from, north or south as soon as they open their mouth.
14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' Wal-martin' or goin to "Wally-world"..
15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good pinto-bean weather. Best meal in the world is Beans, Fried Potatoes and Hot Cornbread and Butter !!! AMEN TO THAT!!
16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop. it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?' Answer: "Dr. Pepper."
17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
18. We don't need no stinking driver's ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

Alot of that is also on the other Kentucky one but I can't find it

Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 AM

87 posts, read 358,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
As far as cornhole, it has popular here for a few years now. I'm guessing it came with some of the transplants since I hadn't heard of it before I saw it at an event about 4 years ago.
Missymomof3, with all due respects...

You know you're from Cincinnati when...
  • Not only do you know how to play cornhole, you know it originated from Cincinnati.
Others....
  • Chili is made with cinnamon. It is not eaten by itself; it is only eaten over spaghetti or hot dogs. Or sometimes, mixed with cream cheese as a chip dip.
  • Not only should Pete Rose be in Baseball's Hall of Fame, he should have his own wing there.
  • You wear your tropical golf shirts and blare your Jimmy Buffett CDs on his Cincinnati concert day, even though you don't even have a ticket to the concert.
  • You're more conservative than Rush Limbaugh; yet you grudgingly admit that, way back when, you voted for Jerry Springer.
  • "Reading" is pronounced red-ing
  • "Please" is short for "I don't understand; can you repeat that again?"
It's still early for a Sunday morning. I'll think of more later.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:18 AM

[quote=LadyBeBop;4618830]Missymomof3, with all due respects...

You know you're from Cincinnati when...
[list][*]Not only do you know how to play cornhole, you know it originated from Cincinnati.

I don't understand your comment I have never seen it before until I saw a family play it at a Thunder over Louisville event about three or four years ago. It has gained in popularity since then around here. I read somewhere that cornhole has been around a pretty dang long time.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Re: "cornhole", I was shocked when I heard this, from a pastor's wife no less. But she says it is popular in the midwest. From what my friend said, and what the picture showed, it's just a bean-bag toss game with a sort of "naughty" name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.