Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

wow, uh, that doesn't sound very pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
wow, uh, that doesn't sound very pleasant.
It isn't. To walk outside for more than thirty seconds is to suffocate on the heat (and don't let people tell you that dry heat isn't that bad, 112 inside the car and 106 outside the car is VERY BAD!) and all of those things that the list says about heat are true. When I first get in my car I use one finger from each hand, alternate the fingers, and alternate the positions of my fingers to minimizing burning until the A/C can cool the wheel down. It's miserable, to say the least.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:23 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
It isn't. To walk outside for more than thirty seconds is to suffocate on the heat (and don't let people tell you that dry heat isn't that bad, 112 inside the car and 106 outside the car is VERY BAD!) and all of those things that the list says about heat are true. When I first get in my car I use one finger from each hand, alternate the fingers, and alternate the positions of my fingers to minimizing burning until the A/C can cool the wheel down. It's miserable, to say the least.

What tangodoodles is saying is true. It is amazing how hot Bakersfield is. I think it gives Death Valley a run for the money. We have a black car (obviously from out of town) and when we went into Quizno's and came back we could literally not touch the door handle. I had not parked under a tree and had to pull my shirt down my shoulder far enough to use that to open the door handle. Then your back burns from the burning leather seats in the car as you wait for the air conditioning to cool the car. The steering wheel is like a 120 degree burning piece of leather too. It is hot there!!! Sometimes I wonder how the cows outside of town survive and don't just drop down and die. I guess those cows won't be surprised when they are roasting on my barbeque though

Last edited by missionhome; 07-27-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 08:50 PM

542 posts, read 558,358 times
Quote:
Dry heat... ew...
That would require the use of... shaving cream.
Thank God for humidity.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
You know you're from Bakersfield, CA when...

1. You have to explain to company from out of town what animal a "Tri-tip" comes from.

8. You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.

10. You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.

12. Vehicles with open windows have the right-of-way.
I'm curious about those four, could you explain them?

Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
You know you're from Omaha when...

You think the future construction of a pedestrian bridge across the river to Council Bluffs is evidence that you live in a progressive city.
No not really
You think having condos downtown is evidence that your city is progressive and liberal.
Not at all
You think a handful of city blocks' worth of older brick buildings housing galleries, boutiques and restaurants is something really unique and special.
More than a handful, dozens
You consider the birthplace of one of the most insignificant US presidents to be a prime attraction.
no not at all
You consistently and blindly vote your city as being the "best" in every poll on C-D no matter if you have been to the other places in the poll or not.
Can you take a joke? And yes i do think the zoo is the best but thats it.
Really, you should read my posts.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I'm curious about those four, could you explain them?
I didn't actually create this list but being a native Bakersfieldian I can surely take a stab at explaining those things:

1) I've met a lot of people from out of town who aren't very familiar with tri-tip or who've never tried it, even some of my relatives from the Midwest and Northern California were a bit confounded by it. My dad moved to Bakersfield from San Diego after law school and he'd never heard of it until he moved here. But you can get it basically EVERYWHERE you go in town, it's definitely the most common cut of meat to be found around town.

2) The Kern River runs right through the city and for 3/4 of the year it is completely dry. So even when you drive over a bridge in town, chances are you aren't driving over a body of water, usually just over a dry riverbed.

3) Most people in Bakersfield have been around swamp coolers at one time or another and they were the most common source of cooling (along with fans) before most of the city made the switch to A/C. It's just been in the past ten to twenty years with the housing boom that many places have been outfitted with A/C, and swamp coolers are really not sufficient for the type of heat we get here. In fact, until schools secured funding to upgrade to A/C, kids were let out of school early on days the temperature exceeded 95 degrees just so they wouldn't suffer from heat stroke. Still, there are quite a few places around town that have swamp coolers and you should generally avoid those places during the summer months if you don't want to be plastered with sweat within ten minutes of entering.

4) I didn't really get number four and the best explanation I could come up with is that if the windows are down, chances are the car doesn't have A/C and if a car doesn't have A/C in this town, chances are that the driver is either an illegal or even just an uninsured driver so letting them have the right-of-way can prevent an accident that your insurance would have to cover completely that would cause your rates to go up.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:21 AM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Actually, it usually only takes me 35 minutes, but on a bad day it takes 45 minutes or more, that is if there is a problem with either the bus or the 'el' (subway). My commute consists of about 15 minutes of walking and 20 minutes of train riding/waiting for the train on a normal day, and has for the past six years.
I was in Chicago about a week ago for for a few weeks and I had an hour and 30 minute commute from the suburbs.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:37 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
You know you're from Bakersfield, CA when...
4. All of your out-of-town friends start to visit after October, but clear out before the end of April.

6. You think 6 tons of crushed rock makes a beautiful yard.

7. You notice your car overheating before you drive it.

8. You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.

10. You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.

13. People break out coats when the temperature drops below 70.

14. You discover, in July, it only takes two fingers to drive your car.

15. You think someone driving wearing oven mitts is clever.

16. The pool can be warmer than you are.

17. You can make sun tea instantly.

18. You run your air conditioner in the middle of winter so you can use your fireplace.

19. People with black cars or upholstery are assumed to be from out-of-town.

21. You realize that Valley Fever isn't a disco dance.

22. The water from the cold water tap is the same temperature as the hot one.

23. It's noon in July, the kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is moving in the streets.

24. You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

25. You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
Sounds a lot like Tucson. Including the Valley Fever which took me months to get over.

Quote:
4) I didn't really get number four and the best explanation I could come up with is that if the windows are down, chances are the car doesn't have A/C and if a car doesn't have A/C in this town, chances are that the driver is either an illegal or even just an uninsured driver so letting them have the right-of-way can prevent an accident that your insurance would have to cover completely that would cause your rates to go up.

I assumed it meant you felt sorry for the drivers without A/C and let them pass you.

I think the way swamp coolers work is that they can make the temperature inside 10-20 degrees cooler that outside. If it is 110 outside you'll still have 90 inside.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,985 times
A couple more for Orange County CA.
You know you're from Orange County when:

1. You make fun of people who call it "The OC"
2. You have an enormous kitchen, with all the best appliance, but don't cook.
3. You realize every child over the age of 3 has a cell phone (and knows how to use it better than their parents.)
4. Starbucks is considered breakfast for your middle schooler.
5. You thought the only reason we had school buses was for field trips.
6. You call all freeways by numbers not names (405, 605, 5, 22, 57, etc.)
7. You feel sorry for the kids who don't have a car waiting for them on their 16th birthday.
8. You rent your house but drive a Mercedes.
9. A pool, patio, and small planter is considered a sizable backyard.
10. You think people with more than 6 feet between their houses live "in the middle of nowhere"
11. Graduation presents for girls involve silicone and/ or something to do with the word reconstruction.
12. You love living by the beach and the mountains but work so much to afford living here that you rarely see either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.