Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse?
Too hot 169 57.88%
Too cold 123 42.12%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Uhhh, youre comparing -65 degree windchills (read: ULTRA RARE) to common Florida heat???? Cmon. If youre gonna go that far, lets compare an average day in Chicago in December (around 35-40 degrees) to the hottest day in Death Valley why dont we?
Didn't you just agree with the assertion of a person who claimed to have spent 8 hours out in -80 degree windchills without incident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Too cold is worse. I hate wearing "layers" because they are restrictive and you feel like the Michelin man once you put them on. Your fingers get numb, your face gets chapped, and your joints hurt. Chest gets tight, everything shivers, yuck. I HATE cold weather. Give me 110 any day over 0. 110 is a cake walk compared to 0. Not too mention you don't have to worry about how many layers to wear, keeping up with hat, gloves, coat, etc.
Yeah, like when you have to take a leak; 4 inches of clothes and 2 inches of dick.

Sometimes I'd wear 2 old fashioned red flannel one piece union suits and a pair of jeans. A turtle neck sweater then one or two flannel shirts. Then Carhartt bibs and either a green mill coat or a Carhartt jacket, sometimes both. A good hardhat liner and a well tucked in scarf, sometimes a full face Carhartt watch-cap with eye and breathing holes pulled down.

Feet were hard, usually insulated Redwings and heavy 2-buckle galoshes. Hot mill gloves or hot mill mittens.

Now try and do something.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
I prefer heat. I don't like taking an hour just to pull everything out to go outside. It's not that you can't go outside during the winter, it's just that many people don't want to. I don't find many outdoor winter activities entertaining at all. I get chilled very easily.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post

over the last 10 years only 18 people on average die of cold annualy, while 170 annualy die of heat

I've seen a few guys go down with heat exhaustion, it's pretty damned scary.

One fella was working for me in a refinery in July, in the Alky plant where you have to wear rubber raingear all the time in case acid gets loose. We were welding a new nozzle on the bottom of a vessel; it's 95+ degrees out, the weld is 4 inch thick steel and preheated to about 600 degrees---miserable work. I had 6 boilermaker welders and worked them 3 teams of two, each team with a helper. They were to weld for half an hour and come out and take an hour cooling down before going back. But one fella got carried away and caught up in his work; an old guy, tough as nails and worked like a set of twins. He wanted to finish the pass and not come out; he went down, passed out and had to be carried out.

Man, it was scary. He was OK but I wouldn't let him work for the next couple of days, I just had him sit in the shanty and take it easy. That drove him crazy.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I prefer heat. I don't like taking an hour just to pull everything out to go outside. It's not that you can't go outside during the winter, it's just that many people don't want to. I don't find many outdoor winter activities entertaining at all. I get chilled very easily.
That's a good point. A person need's very little clothing in heat unlike the cold.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 26,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
it doesn't "take an hour" to pull everything out. Just keep a hat and some thick gloves in your coat's pockets.

You don't have to truly bundle up a ton and unleash the long underwear and snow pants unless you're skiing or something.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuft View Post
it doesn't "take an hour" to pull everything out. Just keep a hat and some thick gloves in your coat's pockets.

You don't have to truly bundle up a ton and unleash the long underwear and snow pants unless you're skiing or something.
But wouldn't you prefer to just walk outside without having to put more clothes on? Its a lot cheaper when one doesn't have to buy extra clothing [ie wear flip flops all year].

Old 08-03-2008, 09:59 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
But wouldn't you prefer to just walk outside without having to put more clothes on? Its a lot cheaper when one doesn't have to buy extra clothing [ie wear flip flops all year].
you don't have to buy, you just keep it in your wardrobe all year. it's....................common sense?

that's quite a story Irishtom!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:25 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
lol this made me laugh out loud. I'd much rather feel like the "Michelin Man" than :

Nausea
BIG headaches/migraines
Sweaty Nuts
Cramps on my leg muscles
Being so sweaty that you go inside and shiver
Smell like dog pi**
Feeling Drowsy
Having the energy pretty much sucked out of you

oh yea, but 110 is a "cakewalk" compared to 0, huh?
The heat has never given me headaches or nausea. Sweaty nuts are easily taken care of with a little gold bond powder right after a shower. Never had cramps from the heat. I'm kinda warm natured, so going inside sweaty rarely makes me feel too cool. Smelling like dog ****? Shower twice a day. I like doing that anyway, so I don't mind an extra shower for 3 months out of the year. Drowsy? I'm slightly narcoleptic, so I'm prone to nodding off regardless of temperature. Energy sucked out of me is not a problem so long as I keep feeding it back in with cold water and summer treats like strawberries and watermelon!

See? All the resolutions to dealing with heat are fun!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:36 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
The heat has never given me headaches or nausea. Sweaty nuts are easily taken care of with a little gold bond powder right after a shower. Never had cramps from the heat. I'm kinda warm natured, so going inside sweaty rarely makes me feel too cool. Smelling like dog ****? Shower twice a day. I like doing that anyway, so I don't mind an extra shower for 3 months out of the year. Drowsy? I'm slightly narcoleptic, so I'm prone to nodding off regardless of temperature. Energy sucked out of me is not a problem so long as I keep feeding it back in with cold water and summer treats like strawberries and watermelon!

See? All the resolutions to dealing with heat are fun!
lol i'd hardly call any of what you just said "fun". and I DO shower twice a day, in the morning, then usually go outside and play for a while, smell like dog pi** and take a shower. difference is though, in the cold, no matter how much exercise I do, even if I sweat, I never smell really bad. you know why? because cold air is cleaner and more fresh. I'm willing to guess you've never done any form of exercise in both extremes....and you're probably the only person I know who has NEVER gotten headaches/ felt dizzy or nauseated during extreme heat. And I think the reason why is because you're one of those people who sits on the couch watching TV/ on the computer all day long in the AC and exclaim how much better than "heat" is than the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.