Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushighlanders View Post
--As for Savannah, I have not ever lived in a big city, nor do I think I want to (crime, traffic, etc.), but it would be okay to live in a house in the 'burbs' (I have never lived in an apartment/condo, so I do not know what that is like.

--It seems a little too close for comfort. Is it?). I have been to Roswell, Ga and I thought the community that I went to was pretty. It looked too expensive for a teacher though, and they had just had some tornadic weather the night before we came.

--I read that there are no bridges to the barrier islands/beaches in Georgia. True? One person wrote that they drive to northern Florida to go to a beach! And what about flooding when you live near the ocean in those states? I worry about the elevation of the surrounding areas.
--I want to be able to go to the beach or swim in a pool most of the year.
I dunno' maybe I will begin to hate what I seem to love now?
~~~
--Savannah--

-It's not a particularly big city--metro population around/ 200-250,000.

-There are distinct neighborhoods ==many very charming.
---Go Here>>>
http://www.savannahchamber.com/relocation/realestate.shtml (broken link)

I taught there and found the challenges to be beyond my expertise. The lower income areas are very, very low and the problems have been developing for at least a century, if not longer--since Savannah was the first city founded in the colony of GA--1732.
No amount of historic charm or proximity to the beach/ocean--which I love dearly could entice me back to the Low Country. Growth and development are in process but the ingrained attitudes were too negative for me.
I met many good and kind people there--busy with their own lives. Family is very important to Savannahians.
FYI to consider on Savannah:
//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T.../Savannah.html

~~
--You might want to look more closely at Roswell. The 'Savannah' of North Georgia--historical charm, support for the arts and it is very lovely.

(Rare to have tornadoes--or any sort of weather problems. There was a bad one about 10 yrs ago--might have been the first one in the 20C.)

Roswell/Sandy Springs/Alpharetta/East Cobb--probably the most preferred areas of Atlanta. You could live in those areas with 2 incomes or one very good income. The Chattahoochee River is nearby--but no ocean.

~~~
--To be able to go to a beach or swim in a pool all year you need to be in the Southern part of FL. Maybe Naples, FL??? On the west coast/Gulf, IIRC.
Tampa, also on the gulf/west coast---has been chosen as the number one place to live in FL.

---Barrier islands of GA--each one would be different. I vaguely remember that to reach St Simons Island from the town of Brunswick --you have to drive over a bridge--maybe the same for Jekyll--and I know that it is difficult to reach Cumberland Island--environmentally protected area.

--St Simons is my favorite--Brunswick--small and expensive. Not much beach--but a flourishing, creative community.

Google-->>>'Golden Isles', St Simons, Jekyll, St Marys, Sea Island, Cumberland Island--Brunswick, Glynn County---

As for flooding--Savannah floods every spring--heavy rains and ancient roads/sewer system. Hurricanes don't hit the GA coast that often or the north FL coast. FWIW--several posters have mentioned they want to leave FL because of the increase in flood/disaster insurance and the tax increase approved to rebuild from previous hurricanes.

I love the beach--would love to have a rustic 2nd home in a coastal environment--but I know I wouldn't be able to cope with hurricanes.

Check into the Naples, FL area.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-01-2007 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM

19 posts, read 62,814 times
Having lived north of Clearwater myself, in the Tarpon Springs area, the beaches are not what you would traditionally call a beach. Up Hwy 19 in Pinellas county (where Clearwater is) there are streets that dead end into the water. No beach at all. Just the road ending into very deep water. Great if you live in the condos through there and have a boat. More like a harbor there I would say. There is Hudson Beach, but it is VERY small and if you are not there early, there will be no place to sit. Literally. Clearwater is more of the traditional beach, but it is very commercial and crowded. The best place to see the beach there is via the state parks, Honeymoon Island is beautiful and right off Hwy 19.

I LOVE, LOVE Florida. I grew up in Cocoa Beach and have lived in Miami, Tampa, and Cocoa Beach area. I also go to Pensacola several times a year. My husband and I want to move back from Atlanta where I am now. But I find that it is hard to live in FL unless you are 1)retired, 2)in some kind of medical profession, 3)in the tourist trade, or 4)don't mind being poor. Right now, I don't fall into ANY of those categories. I want out of ATL, was born here and have lived here since 1989 except for a year in Tampa. The growth is insane, the traffic is worse, the city is NOT progressive in reality, crime grows daily, and to afford a nice house you have to live outside of the perimeter. I used to love Atlanta and never thought I would want to move away. But I think daily about where I would go. I want to be closer to the water, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards for me right now. Housing on the coast is outrageous and the jobs are virtually non-existent to keep up with that sort of house price. It is inland, but I am looking into Nashville. There are rivers!!!

Good luck to you!!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Default ATL insane traffic etc

<The growth is insane, the traffic is worse, the city is NOT progressive in reality, crime grows daily, and to afford a nice house you have to live outside of the perimeter. I used to love Atlanta and never thought I would want to move away. But I think daily about where I would go. I want to be closer to the water, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards for me right now. Housing on the coast is outrageous and the jobs are virtually non-existent to keep up with that sort of house price. It is inland, but I am looking into Nashville. There are rivers!!! >

I was born in Atlanta, too and lived here most of my life--can't quite put my finger on all the factors that have led to the unpleasant change in the Style of life to be found in the metro area.

I know I do not care for the Attitudes that I encounter daily and I believe I know 'Who/What' to blame. I hold my representatives and elected officials accountable. Every single one of them---going back 40/50 years. Sick and tired of the rhetoric and the same "mistakes'/lack of cooperation etc are being repeated. I have no patience for this.

Nashville might be a good alternative. A poster said he found some 'Peace' in a community in SW Missouri--so perhaps a more mellow lifestyle still exists.

WooHootieHoo--Atlanta has Everything and we will soon have more. We will grow bigger and bigger. that is just swell.

I liked it better around 1980 with about 2,000,000 but --'Somebody' dropped the ball.. we cannot see or refuse to see 'The Elephant' in the living room.

Maybe this true in many areas--certainly sounds like it. By golly it is time to straighten the mess out once and for all--everywhere. jmo.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
South and North Carolina are great and Georgia

Old 02-10-2007, 10:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
I would say Virginia or North Carolina.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,776 times
Default Definition of Cold

Temperature:
If temperature is most important, Florida is definitely hotter and stickier I am originally from Boston, MA and I don't really consider Myrtle Beach (where I now live) to ever really get cold. But then again, it's all relative. You won't be swimming in your pool in January, but you might in February. For average temperatures in any of your locations, go to http://www.worldclimate.com/

School Systems:
As for school systems, Georgia has the better school system of the three states. They have wonderful programs.

Though I travel often to Charleston (my sister lives there), Savannah (more family), and all the way down to Fort Lauderdale (I drive down every 12 weeks), I can't give any real adivce on living in these locations.

Definitely avoid south-eastern florida if you don't like big cities. The entire southeastern coast of FL is one big, giant city. Of course, in a smaller location, you need to watch out for jobs. Myrtle Beach is fine for education, but other jobs are mainly seasonal and service-based.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Charleston SC, Charlotte NC, Raliegh NC, Savannah GA, Virginia Beach VA

Old 02-23-2007, 03:42 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
~~~
--Savannah--

-It's not a particularly big city--metro population around/ 200-250,000.

-There are distinct neighborhoods ==many very charming.
---Go Here>>>
http://www.savannahchamber.com/relocation/realestate.shtml (broken link)

I taught there and found the challenges to be beyond my expertise. The lower income areas are very, very low and the problems have been developing for at least a century, if not longer--since Savannah was the first city founded in the colony of GA--1732.
No amount of historic charm or proximity to the beach/ocean--which I love dearly could entice me back to the Low Country. Growth and development are in process but the ingrained attitudes were too negative for me.
I met many good and kind people there--busy with their own lives. Family is very important to Savannahians.
FYI to consider on Savannah:
//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T.../Savannah.html

~~
--You might want to look more closely at Roswell. The 'Savannah' of North Georgia--historical charm, support for the arts and it is very lovely.

(Rare to have tornadoes--or any sort of weather problems. There was a bad one about 10 yrs ago--might have been the first one in the 20C.)

Roswell/Sandy Springs/Alpharetta/East Cobb--probably the most preferred areas of Atlanta. You could live in those areas with 2 incomes or one very good income. The Chattahoochee River is nearby--but no ocean.

~~~
--To be able to go to a beach or swim in a pool all year you need to be in the Southern part of FL. Maybe Naples, FL??? On the west coast/Gulf, IIRC.
Tampa, also on the gulf/west coast---has been chosen as the number one place to live in FL.

---Barrier islands of GA--each one would be different. I vaguely remember that to reach St Simons Island from the town of Brunswick --you have to drive over a bridge--maybe the same for Jekyll--and I know that it is difficult to reach Cumberland Island--environmentally protected area.

--St Simons is my favorite--Brunswick--small and expensive. Not much beach--but a flourishing, creative community.

Google-->>>'Golden Isles', St Simons, Jekyll, St Marys, Sea Island, Cumberland Island--Brunswick, Glynn County---

As for flooding--Savannah floods every spring--heavy rains and ancient roads/sewer system. Hurricanes don't hit the GA coast that often or the north FL coast. FWIW--several posters have mentioned they want to leave FL because of the increase in flood/disaster insurance and the tax increase approved to rebuild from previous hurricanes.

I love the beach--would love to have a rustic 2nd home in a coastal environment--but I know I wouldn't be able to cope with hurricanes.

Check into the Naples, FL area.
We were toying with the idea of moving south, and looked closely at Savannah. The one problem I noticed is the crime.

It's a somewhat dangerous city. I say this coming from New York City.

I have heard some GREAT things about Charleston, SC, and we plan to visit there sometime in the next few months. We'll see how that goes. I haven't researched the statistics yet. Savannah however has been crossed off the list.

-TT

Old 02-25-2007, 10:38 PM

27 posts, read 164,841 times
I visited Charleston last year for the first time. I think it is a neat city! Lots to do and lots of charm. Ghost walks and such. I am not sure about the crime, but I loved the park in the waterfront district. Cool buildings! I just don't know where the beaches are, yet. Tell me what you find out.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
You might want to consider Amelia Island.That's what we are looking at.
It is Florida (near Jax) but is basically one of Georgia's barrier islands--it does have a bridge.
I have not researched the school system because we will be emptynesters in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.