Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:23 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,121,960 times

Advertisements

I've always been stingy with this. I think born is most important. I was born in Florida, and few others were. But many people love to be like "I moved here as a kid, so I'm a native", or they moved here as adults but hated where they were from so much that they consider themselves Floridians. There are a lot of these posers on city-data in fact who love to say they are Floridians when they are really not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 08:03 AM

811 posts, read 890,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I've always been stingy with this. I think born is most important. I was born in Florida, and few others were. But many people love to be like "I moved here as a kid, so I'm a native", or they moved here as adults but hated where they were from so much that they consider themselves Floridians. There are a lot of these posers on city-data in fact who love to say they are Floridians when they are really not.
The United States is a free and United country and if someone is a legal resident of a state, such as Florida they certainly have every right to call themselves a Floridian, or whatever they want. For example, if a French resident moves to the USA legally, are they not then an American? In my book, they are absolutely Americans, just like if someone moved from New York to Florida, they would now be a Floridian.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,185,989 times
It depends what you're asking.

My kids were born in Montana and my oldest especially takes great pride in being from MT so it does matter. However she's lived in Michigan since she was four. If we stay here until she graduates high school I'd have to assume Michigan would be her home.

Now me on the other hand, moved to another city in the same state when I was four. I consider the town I grew up in as my home town but I don't really care either way about the city I was born in. So when you ask "what counts" it depends on what you're asking. Being born in Montana seems to count for a lot to my oldest even if it won't be her "home" and she may also take great pride in growing up in Michigan.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:43 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,957 times
I spent my first 10 Years in suburban Milwaukee before moving to Las Vegas and living there for 35 Years. The whole time I lived in Las Vegas I was told how nice I was. I think that Upper Midwestern niceness was instilled in me and stayed with me for life. I might have had a different personality type if I was born in Vegas. So I say it's where your born, as long as you live there at least a few years, start your education there etc. That being said on Facebook I list Vegas as my hometown because that's by far where I lived most of my life and have the most contacts from.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
The United States is a free and United country and if someone is a legal resident of a state, such as Florida they certainly have every right to call themselves a Floridian, or whatever they want. For example, if a French resident moves to the USA legally, are they not then an American? In my book, they are absolutely Americans, just like if someone moved from New York to Florida, they would now be a Floridian.
Nah. Not in my book. Florida is full to the brim with NY transplants (my father is one of them in fact), and they aren't Floridians. Floridians are our own little nitch in America. No other state in the country is quite like us. Perhaps if the person was raised here from a very young that would qualify but not if they move away.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:55 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,398,829 times
I think where you are raised is most important.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:58 PM

And I'm really only stingy with this because so many people who are definitely not Floridians love to try and dictate what Florida is culturally. None of those fakes know anything.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:19 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,687,371 times
When I moved back to Virginia with my boyfriend (who is from PA) he asked me "how long before I can call myself a Virginian?". To which I replied "babe, you'll never be a Virginian".

I've become a bit more flexible on this issue (that was 20 years ago) but I do think that where you were born is where you are from.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
You can say "I was born in _____ but spent most of my childhood in _____" if the two differ.

I consider the place where someone lived the longest time to be where he or she is "from." But I realize that when moving to a new place what people want to know is the LAST place you lived. So then you can say "I moved from _____ but lived a long time in _____." If they persist in wanting to know where you were BORN, they would then ask it that way.

On a different note, I hated that where-are-you-from question because, in my case, what they were really asking was what ETHNICITY I am. I am not Caucasian, and it surprised me how many people were surprised when I told them I was born in a US city. Only then would they ask, "Oh, then, where are your parents from?" Which is just as dumb a question, because some people's non-Caucasian parents might well have been born in the US also. This despite the fact that my language is American English and has been since I first started talking. No foreign accent whatsoever.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Exactly. They don't have to be a native-born state resident to be a resident of that state. Where you are born determines your native state, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.