Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times

Advertisements

Count me as a Mapster too!

I got one of those Map of the United States jigsaw puzzles as a kindergartener, where every state is its own piece. First I would just put the puzzle together, then I started timing myself to see how fast I could put it together. Later on, I would put the states in, in the order they were admitted to the Union. Perhaps not so necessary a thing for a 9 year old to know, but it proved handy when studying American history.

I think we all need an emoticon with a propellerhead cap on top!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Yes, I am a nerd. Which is why I am pursuing a BA in Geography and maybe a master's in Urban Planning. I love maps. I use to stand in grocery stores or book stores and stare at the almanacs for HOURS or whenever we leave the store. I not only looked at maps. I looked at population stats, area size stats, history of places, etc. etc. I looked at them all. And it's not just the US either. I looked at the entire world. I know so much about do many different places that people ask me why do I know this and I really can't explain it to them.

I owned about 5 Rand McNally maps. I got tired of Rand McNally that I got it's competitor.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
When I was 6, my uncle gave me a paper-back world atlas, and I would lie on the floor for hours trying to pronounce the names of places. Another uncle then gave me all the maps he got with National Geographic, whichI papered my bedroom wall with. my mother let me put a map of the world on the wall in the dining room. I got my first stamp collecting kit when I was 10, and got totally addicted to that. I used to go around to gas stations to get the free maps (all this was in the 1940s), and I fouind a card at the Cities Service (now Citgo) map rack to send in to request maps, so I sent it in asking for all of them and got a big box containing every state road map. I was in heaven. I also got both USA and South America jigsaw puzzle maps when I was about 5.

When I was about 15, I got a World Almanac, and marked all the counties I had been in on family trips. I kept doing that, and finally got to all of them in the lower 48, getting the last one in about 1982.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:18 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
I was and still am a map nerd. As a child it was a cheap and easy way of imagining travel to far different places. I still check out maps and atlases when I go to a book store.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:24 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,743 times
I may still use google maps/mapquest for random mappage....

Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
I guess I'm a geography/map geek too. I think at least half of all city data members are map geeks. Thanks to the new google streetview, I can see what certain cities look like without ever going to the place.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-19-2008 at 12:59 AM..

Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
Yes I'm a map freak with a U.S. altas, and a globe that's out of date.It's impossible to update your globe unless you buy a new one.
I like to travel too. I have done some travel since I was young. I guess as a child I wanted to know where we were going so I looked at maps.

Once in a while I'll read about a place and I just have to know where it's at.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:19 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,265 times
Guilty as charged.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
My name is Kali's G'ma and I'm a map-aholic. 12 steps just aren't enough.

Funny but true...we traveled extensively growing up. Always by car, but my poor Dad had THE worse sense of direction and as a stereotypical male thought if he asked anyone for directions (including my mother with the map) some male appendage would fall off or something.

As a result, we were constantly getting lost. Not always a bad thing but still.

It was a matter of survival that I learned to read a map. I needed to know how to get home didn't I?

To this day I keep the Atlas by my chair and read it. If someone mentions someplace I haven't been, out comes the Atlas! My husband cringes sometimes because I usually come up with off the wall place to go.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,003 times
LOL, Kali's you took my line. I love to study maps. I have two maps up in our office, one of the U.S. and one of Nebraska. I mark all the roads I have driven on and the cities that I have been too. I also do this with one of my atlas'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.